Johnny Depp Vs Amber Heard verdict discussion

Page 3 of 15 [ 225 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 15  Next

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2022, 4:58 pm

Matrix Glitch wrote:
A thing with Depp is he's pushing 60, and there's only so far the leading man hart throb thing can be taken. Him, Brad Pitt and Tom Cruise are becoming the older generation of actors who've had their heyday.

True enough, but they haven't lost their charisma. Watching Depp on the stand ... he hasn't lost his charisma. The kinds of parts he will be suited to play will change, but he's still a presence.

I can't help but wonder how much (if) that played into the verdict. He made me want to run over and hug him. Which, I might note, isn't uncommon for abusive men (not to say he is, just to note it isn't as clear as people assume).

I have a friend whose abusive ex has been to court multiple times for drinking while driving, including an incidence that was fatal to another driver. He has NEVER gotten jail time. He ALWAYS manages to get the judge or jury to believe it wasn't really his fault.

We forget how easy it is to deceive us human beings.

So back to, we don't know what really happened. We will never know.

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2022, 5:02 pm

DW_a_mom wrote:
I'm going to be honest, the strength and persistence of the vitriol against Amber Heard is something that disturbs me greatly.

NONE OF US KNOW THE TRUE STORY.

My first post on the trial indicated I saw reason to doubt her, but feeling uncomfortable with her actions and motives is not the same as knowing.

Having a jury return a verdict is not the same as knowing.

People are doing a whole lot of assuming here and making judgements that WILL harm domestic abuse victims. How any of you, or even the jury, feel about the facts doesn't matter when it comes to the lesson a domestic abuse victim will take home. All they will see is someone who tried to tell her story and was shredded to pieces for doing so.

It isn't as if there is no documentation of Depp acting in an abusive manner towards her. There is. Texts, things he's confessed to, etc. While it is entirely possible that his actions were a response to her actions, the fact remains that he also acted in an abusive / toxic manner in that relationship. THAT is what victims are seeing.

Lawyer friends of mine are surprised by the verdict. After all, she never mentioned Depp by name in the ad, or provided identifying characteristics. She described herself. It was a "me" statement; how she experienced the reactions of SOCIETY to her claims, including ones she made at a very young age. It says nothing about what happened in the marriage. It was all about the reactions of people and institutions around her. While she should have known that people would see her ex in the timeline, the jury result says, to me, more about how the power of Depp's personality than the reality of what happened in that marriage.

I don't mind that people agree with the verdict. I don't mind that people think Amber is shady. I mind the certainty and level of vitriol with which people speak.

I've worked with domestic abuse victims. It is very, very VERY hard for them to get anyone to believe them.

I am also going to repeat, cussing and slamming things and throwing things IS a form of abuse that can be every bit as psychologically damaging as getting hit. That is extremely important to understand.

There's evidence though that she also was abusive.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2022, 5:05 pm

Matrix Glitch wrote:

I am aware.

But we don't know how much was reactive when it comes to her, either.

What we do know is that marriage was exceedingly toxic and should be happy we have such a thing as divorce in this country.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2022, 5:09 pm

DW_a_mom wrote:
. . . Having a jury return a verdict is not the same as knowing. . .
All we have is a jury verdict and a lot of "He-said/She-said" dialogue.

The main reason she was not believed is that she provided no evidence of abuse (unless I blinked and missed something) -- no rape kits, no physician's reports, and at least one police report of "no evidence of violent activity".  No matter how compelling a speaker's arguments may be, no matter how often or how loudly those arguments are spoken, and no matter how pretty or pitiful the speaker may appear, those arguments will all fall flat when no evidence is presented to support them, and will fall even flatter when contrary evidence is presented.

It is a myth that no woman would ever lie about being raped or abused.  Sadly, it seems to happen just often enough to support the suspicion that, lacking valid material evidence, a woman making such a claim may not be telling the truth.

Note that I am NOT saying that no abuse occurred; but that I AM saying Ms. Heard failed to provide sufficient and compelling evidence to support her claims.

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2022, 5:29 pm

DW_a_mom wrote:
Matrix Glitch wrote:

I am aware.

But we don't know how much was reactive when it comes to her, either.

What we do know is that marriage was exceedingly toxic and should be happy we have such a thing as divorce in this country.

I'd say based on the testimony given by psychiatrists/psychologists we were given a pretty good handle on how much was reactive etc.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2022, 6:34 pm

Does Heard have any career left? Most celebrities post major scandal/cancellation after a period of laying low and an apology tour even if their career never resembles what it was can make a living. I don't think this will be the case with Heard. From what I see hatred of her is at Harvey Weinstein's level.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2022, 6:41 pm

r00tb33r wrote:
Been planning to rewatch Secret Window, I think it's quite fitting.

It's an excellent, yet underrated Stephen King adaptation.

@ Sir Fnord: You certainly are right about Johnny Depp. He's also never been one of my favorite actors, but at least he managed to keep his composure during this trial.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2022, 6:57 pm

DW_a_mom wrote:
I am also going to repeat, cussing and slamming things and throwing things IS a form of abuse that can be every bit as psychologically damaging as getting hit. That is extremely important to understand.

This settles it folks, I learned my son is an abuser, my dad is an abuser, I am an abuser.

Growing up and seeing my dad throw things sometimes or slam cupboards, I never ever feared him nor felt unsafe. It was always obvious he was pissed about something else.

And my son does get into trouble when he decides to hit things or pound walls so I tell him to go pound a pillow or his plushies but he dopes not have the right to break things when he is mad.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2022, 7:03 pm

Fnord wrote:
DW_a_mom wrote:
. . . Having a jury return a verdict is not the same as knowing. . .
All we have is a jury verdict and a lot of "He-said/She-said" dialogue.

The main reason she was not believed is that she provided no evidence of abuse (unless I blinked and missed something) -- no rape kits, no physician's reports, and at least one police report of "no evidence of violent activity".  No matter how compelling a speaker's arguments may be, no matter how often or how loudly those arguments are spoken, and no matter how pretty or pitiful the speaker may appear, those arguments will all fall flat when no evidence is presented to support them, and will fall even flatter when contrary evidence is presented.

It is a myth that no woman would ever lie about being raped or abused.  Sadly, it seems to happen just often enough to support the suspicion that, lacking valid material evidence, a woman making such a claim may not be telling the truth.

Note that I am NOT saying that no abuse occurred; but that I AM saying Ms. Heard failed to provide sufficient and compelling evidence to support her claims.

Which does not mean she was lying.

Emotional abuse does not leave evidence that can be collected by a kit, but is extremely damaging. The “colorful” language Depp was documented using may as well be a knife.

Not proving her case does not mean she has to be guilty herself. That wasn’t proven, either.

The court of public opinion is vicious. VICIOUS. And that, if you go back to her op ed, was the point she was making. It’s like the world is now proving her op ed right, threefold.

The woman does not have a trustworthy presence. I grant that. But that doesn’t mean she deserves the crap the court of public opinion is throwing at her. How harsh society is bothers me. A lot.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2022, 7:09 pm

League_Girl wrote:
DW_a_mom wrote:

This settles it folks, I learned my son is an abuser, my dad is an abuser, I am an abuser.

Growing up and seeing my dad throw things sometimes or slam cupboards, I never ever feared him nor felt unsafe. It was always obvious he was pissed about something else.

And my son does get into trouble when he decides to hit things or pound walls so I tell him to go pound a pillow or his plushies but he dopes not have the right to break things when he is mad.

Context matters. Only you know if any of those family members are acting abusively. If activity causes someone to lose their sense of self, to doubt who they are, to rethink everything .., it’s emotionally abusive.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2022, 7:31 pm

In the aftermath of the verdict, I am wondering if their age gap contributed to her being abusive?

In Australia I have seen examples of younger women being aggressive toward their older wealthier partners. I imagine Rupert Murdoch's former (and much younger) wife Wendi must have been a handful to cope with given how easily she used her fists.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2022, 9:07 pm

cyberdad wrote:
In the aftermath of the verdict, I am wondering if their age gap contributed to her being abusive?

In Australia I have seen examples of younger women being aggressive toward their older wealthier partners. I imagine Rupert Murdoch's former (and much younger) wife Wendi must have been a handful to cope with given how easily she used her fists.

There are already articles out there saying they believe Amber used Johnny, she used his kindness and generous and used him for her acting career boost. Some think she only married him for money.

But honestly I don't know why she married him, he is way too old for her and I lost interest in him when he started to age because I don't find aging men attractive but everyone eventually ages. I used to watch his new films and then I stopped following him when he got too old.

In the videos in court, it showed her smiling where she was trying to catch Johnny in one of his episodes. But instead it made her look bad. She also did crying in court but there were no tears. She used her acting skills to try and fill the jury. But no tears were a dead give away.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2022, 9:53 pm

Brictoria wrote:

Thread created to discuss the verdict returned, as discussion regarding the actual trial is no longer welcome on the site.

Do you intend to lock this thread, sometime down the line?

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2022, 9:59 pm

Fnord wrote:
The_Walrus wrote:
It’s very important that we allow victims of domestic abuse to speak out about the abuse they have suffered.
This is important only if and when such violence and suffering has not been staged and has actually occurred.

The civil suit was brought on not because Ms. Heard spoke out, but because she slandered Mr. Depp while doing so.

(For some people, it is not enough to win a divorce case; they seem to have the deep-seated need to slander and ruin the reputations, careers, and lives of the people they have divorced.)

She still has her Free Speech rights, as they are inviolable.  Most of what has been brought home to her is that she should be truthful when speaking about others, that she should at least have irrefutable evidence that what she says about someone else is true, or both.

The rest is mere accounting.[/color]

"You go, gurl!" :thumright:

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2022, 11:03 pm

League_Girl wrote:
There are already articles out there saying they believe Amber used Johnny, she used his kindness and generous and used him for her acting career boost. Some think she only married him for money.

But honestly I don't know why she married him, he is way too old for her and I lost interest in him when he started to age because I don't find aging men attractive but everyone eventually ages. I used to watch his new films and then I stopped following him when he got too old. .

To put things in perspective, Johnny Depp may be one of the most iconic/best actors of this modern era. I grew up with him in the 80s in 21 Jump Street and he was something completely different to the usual assortment of "Chad" actors that Hollywood were churning out that time. His broody character made him like a modern Marlon Brando or even a James Dean.

Every single movie he's been in he's done a great job. I was so surprised that he was versatile enough to play the bad wizard Grindlewald and love interest of Dumbledore in Fantastic Beasts franchise.

But the point is he is an icon. Even though he is much older, Amber Heard (who was a nobody other than an aspiring actress) is damn lucky a man like Depp would even be interested in having a relationship instead of doing what men in his position do which is to sleep with her and toss her aside waiting for the next pretty little thing to slide over.

I also don't pretend to know what her motivation was but there's two things that are apparent.
1. Her acting career did receive a boost (Who here thinks she would have got the Aquaman gig without her connections)
2. Familiarity breeds contempt, and I think once she became comfortable in the relationship she probably started taking Johnny Depp for granted. She is no longer grateful and cares he's famous and she starts to show her true personality trying to push him around. he may even be physically weaker than her (In aquaman she looks quite fit) so she is quite capable of physically intimidating him. So the rest makes perfect sense given the outcome of this trial.

Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2022, 6:10 am

Pepe wrote:
Brictoria wrote:

Thread created to discuss the verdict returned, as discussion regarding the actual trial is no longer welcome on the site.

Do you intend to lock this thread, sometime down the line?

What an interesting idea... Do you think I should? :lol:
</sarcasm>

I find it more useful (and educational) to leave threads open to allow others to put forward their varied beliefs\opinions, which helps participants (whether active and posting, or simply observing silently) to see and hopefully come to understand differing points of view (regardless of whether this new information affects their belief\opinion), rather than curbing people's ability to speak\free speech on a subject by removing a platform which was created for the purpose of discussing the subject matter.

If I (or anyone else) doesn't agree with what is being said in a thread, there are 3 options:
* Curb other's freedom of speech by seeking to close the thread\cause the thread to be closed,
* Continue participation within the thread, putting forward your view, and accepting others will have (and have the right to present) differing views
* Leave\avoid\ignore the thread, allowing other participants to retain their freedom of speech, but removing a portion of the potential audience from their vicinity.

I prefer the second and third options myself, but I know of people who prefer the first (sometimes straying into the second)...

Getting back to the subject of the thread, one interesting thing I have noticed in discussions on the trial\verdict across various sites is how the phrase "believe all women" is interpreted by some to be "blindly accept everything a women claims", whilst others interpret it to be "believe all women, but seek to evaluate\verify their claims".

Besides, there will likely be appeals against the judgement, so the subject is one that will have the potential for further updates (and possible revised opinions) in the future.