Johnny Depp Vs Amber Heard verdict discussion

Page 9 of 15 [ 225 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 15  Next

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2022, 1:46 am

Amber Heard stands to recoup $2 million from lost earnings following a count-claim
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-05-25/ ... /101096896

Her career has probably been more badly effected in the long run (Depp himself is in the twilight of his career).

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2022, 2:31 am

My guess is Depp's team will offer to wave the $10 million if Heard agrees to no further defamation. The legal fees are another matter. Heard and Depp's legal fees combined are probably close to $10 million. How much if any insurance either has that covers legal fees is another factor. It could work out to where neither of them really loses or gains any money from this.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2022, 10:33 am

I hope they film the next trial. I will be watching.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2022, 10:35 am

I am surprised this discussion is still going on -- not amazed, given the type of thread this is, just surprised.

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2022, 3:15 pm

Fnord wrote:
I am surprised this discussion is still going on -- not amazed, given the type of thread this is, just surprised.

It's a switch from the usual politics.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2022, 4:27 pm

Fnord wrote:

I'm surprised Heard supporters on social media are making this out to be a right wing thing if you believe Johnny instead of Heard.

My mistake watching the trial. :roll:

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2022, 4:37 pm

Fnord wrote:

Not surprising, it has implications for #Metoo

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2022, 5:20 pm

cyberdad wrote:
Fnord wrote:
The movement wherein its members want to be believed unconditionally and without supporting evidence?

THAT #Metoo?

Jono
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2022, 6:02 pm

Fnord wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Fnord wrote:
The movement wherein its members want to be believed unconditionally and without supporting evidence?

THAT #Metoo?

The #Metoo movement was important in bringing people like Harvey Weinstein and Bill Cosby to book, and allow victims of sexual violence to come forward. It's not a stretch to say that if someone makes such allegations, it should be taken seriously but that doesn't mean that we don't have to look for evidence.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2022, 7:12 pm

Jono wrote:
Fnord wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Fnord wrote:

THAT #Metoo?

The #Metoo movement was important in bringing people like Harvey Weinstein and Bill Cosby to book, and allow victims of sexual violence to come forward. It's not a stretch to say that if someone makes such allegations, it should be taken seriously but that doesn't mean that we don't have to look for evidence.

THAT #Metoo did a lot of good for a lot of people, including myself.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2022, 7:19 pm

cyberdad wrote:
Twilightprincess wrote:

I think Johnny Depp is an arrogant ass, so I wouldn’t put much past him.

I like his movies, especially his older ones, though.

It's important to seperate the actor from the person or character they portray. It's no big secret that most (if not all) top actors and actresses have some level of narcissism and arrogance.

I never claimed that he was the same person as his characters. :|

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2022, 3:37 am

Fnord wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Fnord wrote:

THAT #Metoo?

I know that #Metoo exists but the people who will be most hurt are the actual victims which are what #MeToo is about.

If it happens that #MeToo is hurt because of a celebrity trial and victims realistically feel staying in the closet is the best option that would be a sad commentary on America, correction a horrific commentary.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2022, 5:17 am

To me there's a big difference between legal avenues such as restraining orders and filing charges, and generating public exposés.

Also this seems to be a celebrity only thing. I doubt a woman who works at Walmart could get the Washington Post to publish an op-ed about abuse she suffered from her husband who works at Home Depot.

How many Metoo headlines featured a run of the mill person who makes less than $50,000 a year?

Jono
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2022, 5:51 am

Matrix Glitch wrote:
To me there's a big difference between legal avenues such as restraining orders and filing charges, and generating public exposés.

Also this seems to be a celebrity only thing. I doubt a woman who works at Walmart could get the Washington Post to publish an op-ed about abuse she suffered from her husband who works at Home Depot.

How many Metoo headlines featured a run of the mill person who makes less than $50,000 a year?

I worry that those "run of the mill" people might still be sued for defamation if they spoke about their experiences on social media. Not everyone has the money to fight a defamation suit.

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2022, 7:24 am

Jono wrote:
Matrix Glitch wrote:

I worry that those "run of the mill" people might still be sued for defamation if they spoke about their experiences on social media. Not everyone has the money to fight a defamation suit.

Why would someone need to speak about it on social media?

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2022, 7:44 am

freedom of speech? freedom to seek redress of grievances?