cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2022, 9:10 pm

Matrix Glitch wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Matrix Glitch wrote:
As for ice, it comes and goes.
What does that spot look like right now? Go on Google Maps or Earth and take a look at its current condition.

Edit: From the article, "About 20 percent of seasonal snow accumulation in the region melted in this one event on Eagle Island".

Oh noes seasonal snow accumulation is melting! :o

The photos are from NASA. I would expect they know what they are talking about. The data is fairly indisputable
https://climate.nasa.gov/vital-signs/sea-level/

And yet it's heavily disputed.

Not by scientists

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2022, 9:12 pm

Matrix Glitch wrote:
Down to 941 days left.

I need to draw up my will...

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2022, 10:30 pm

cyberdad wrote:
Matrix Glitch wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Matrix Glitch wrote:
What does that spot look like right now? Go on Google Maps or Earth and take a look at its current condition.

Edit: From the article, "About 20 percent of seasonal snow accumulation in the region melted in this one event on Eagle Island".

The photos are from NASA. I would expect they know what they are talking about. The data is fairly indisputable

Not by scientists

Wanna bet?

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2022, 2:39 am

Matrix Glitch wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Matrix Glitch wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Matrix Glitch wrote:

Not by scientists

Wanna bet?

Scientists with tin foil hats?

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2022, 3:28 am

cyberdad wrote:

No, the tinfoil hats are the ones saying the word is coming to an end soon.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2022, 4:23 am

Matrix Glitch wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

Oh if you mean Alizee and her movement, well I think the point is that there is an expiry date based on current trends. Whether it's 941 more days or 94.1 years, humans are unlikely to make it past 2100 AD based on
a) global temperatures
b) rising sea levels
https://www.livescience.com/65633-clima ... -2050.html

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2022, 4:51 am

cyberdad wrote:
Matrix Glitch wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

Oh if you mean Alizee and her movement, well I think the point is that there is an expiry date based on current trends. Whether it's 941 more days or 94.1 years, humans are unlikely to make it past 2100 AD based on
a) global temperatures
b) rising sea levels

That article starts out saying:

"It seems every week there's a scary new report about how man-made climate change is going to cause the collapse of the world's ice sheets, result in the extinction of up to 1 million animal species and — if that wasn't bad enough — make our beer very, very expensive."

Sounds like the opening of a Gutfeld monolog joking about climate change fears.

Diverse4Me
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

06 Sep 2022, 9:30 am

Matrix Glitch wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

So, you're saying the 3% of scientists who are either climate change sceptics or deniers are only ones to believe.

“It's Easier to Fool People Than It Is to Convince Them That They Have Been Fooled.” – Mark Twain.

That 3% is a bit old now, probably less.

Why only 3%? Well even all the fossil fuel companies find it difficult to find and buy off scientists who are willing to lie or dither for money.

ASD2, ADHD, Anxiety, Depression etc

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

06 Sep 2022, 9:57 am

cyberdad wrote:
Matrix Glitch wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

a) global temperatures
b) rising sea levels

Quote:
Published by the Breakthrough National Centre for Climate Restoration in Melbourne (an independent think tank focused on climate policy) and authored by a climate researcher and a former fossil fuel executive, the paper's central thesis is that climate scientists are too restrained in their predictions of how climate change will affect the planet in the near future.
In other words, the author goes well beyond the actual scientific consensus.

Yes, climate change is real. It was disputable 15 years ago but by now most of these disputes are well settled.

No, the whole world won't drown. If all the ice caps melted, the sea would rise by less than 100 meters - problematic enough but fundamentally limited.

No, Earth won't become inhabitable. Through all the Mesosoic, Paleocene and Eocene it was warmer than now and life on Earth fluorished. It's useful to study these periods to have ideas of what to expect.

Yes, particular species and ecosystems are at very high risk and it's a worry because some of them can be keystone to larger systems.

Yes, there will be problems, some very serious. Pakistan is already flooded because of changes in the monsoon. Over 1300 casualties and counting, not to mention material losses.
Similar things in some other densely populated areas expected :(

Yes, limiting the impact is reasonable to make these problems possibly smaller.

No, there won't be end of the world nor humanity - both are way too flexible for this.

Thank you.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2022, 10:36 am

Diverse4Me wrote:
Matrix Glitch wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

So, you're saying the 3% of scientists who are either climate change sceptics or deniers are only ones to believe.

“It's Easier to Fool People Than It Is to Convince Them That They Have Been Fooled.” – Mark Twain.

That 3% is a bit old now, probably less.

Why only 3%? Well even all the fossil fuel companies find it difficult to find and buy off scientists who are willing to lie or dither for money.

No, I'm talking about the world is shortly coming to an end ones. I don't remember what extremes Bill Nye the Science Guy goes to.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2022, 4:59 pm

magz wrote:
[
No, Earth won't become inhabitable. Through all the Mesosoic, Paleocene and Eocene it was warmer than now and life on Earth fluorished. It's useful to study these periods to have ideas of what to expect..

Probably not. But it doesn't take much to make civilisation to collapse. According to geneticists, Homo Sapiens has has several bottlenecks where the population crashed to several humans.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

07 Sep 2022, 1:57 am

cyberdad wrote:
magz wrote:
No, Earth won't become inhabitable. Through all the Mesosoic, Paleocene and Eocene it was warmer than now and life on Earth fluorished. It's useful to study these periods to have ideas of what to expect..
Probably not. But it doesn't take much to make civilisation to collapse. According to geneticists, Homo Sapiens has has several bottlenecks where the population crashed to several humans.

That's why it's important to study what to expect, how to mitigate what is possible to mitigate and how to prepare and adapt to what can't be helped.
Knowledge is power (France is bacon ;) ) and we have to actually use this power.

Things I believe should be done in Europe:
1. Atomic energy to replace coal and natural gas - I know it's not "trendy" but that's a reliable, CO2-free source powerful enough for the needs of industries;
2. Rewildening rivers - wild rivers don't flash flood, they cause far less damage during catastrophic floods;
3. Generally rewild areas where we can afford it, temperate forests are great ecosystems for CO2 binding;
4. Protect natural water-retaining ecosystems (raised bogs!);
5. Get our sh!t together about consistent and realistic immigration policy - migration is inevitable, we have to adapt to this reality, not pretend it doesn't exist.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

r00tb33r
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2022, 2:06 am

cyberdad wrote:
The premise is that we don't start reversing the emissions within 3 years it's probably too late to save the earth from catastrophic climate collapse.

Try reversing your own emissions, see how that works out. :lol:

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2022, 2:18 am

r00tb33r wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
The premise is that we don't start reversing the emissions within 3 years it's probably too late to save the earth from catastrophic climate collapse.

Try reversing your own emissions, see how that works out. :lol:

He probably meant "reducing" our emissions. :lol:

THOUGH... there are schemes to suck carbon out of the air. So he might have actually meant 'reversing' our emissions.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2022, 2:40 am

magz wrote:
1. Atomic energy to replace coal and natural gas - I know it's not "trendy" but that's a reliable, CO2-free source powerful enough for the needs of industries;t.

The level of time and investment required to switch to atomic energy is colossal and beyond the short term capacity of only the wealthiest G7 countries. For Australia an estimate was done that it would take 30 years to get through government inquiries, white papers, environmental impact assessments, planning, approvals before even one slab of cement is laid,

The public like the idea of alternative energy but as we are discovering in Australia as we close each coal fired power station the cost of energy shoots up. The spectre of elderly people having no heating through winter because they can't afford to pay the exorbitant costs of putting solar, wind or other energy is something we have to deal with first.