Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2022, 1:07 pm

James Caan, Oscar-nominated actor of 'The Godfather,' 'Misery' and 'Elf,' dies at 82

Quote:
James Caan, the veteran screen actor known for his work in such films as "The Godfather," "Misery" and "Elf," has died, his family said in a statement on his verified Twitter account. He was 82.

They did not disclose a cause of death.
Caan first found fame playing Chicago Bears halfback Brian Piccolo in "Brian's Song," a widely seen 1971 TV movie. The tearjerking film chronicled Piccolo's real-life battle with terminal cancer and drew praise for its treatment of the interracial friendship between Piccolo and a Black teammate, Gale Sayers.
His next film, 1972's "The Godfather," made Caan a star. Although he was not Italian, Caan was cast as hotheaded Sonny Corleone, oldest of mobster Vito Corleone's three sons, who is memorably gunned down by rival gangsters at a tollbooth.
In a 2021 interview for "CBS Sunday Morning," Caan said he based Sonny's persona on the late comedian Don Rickles.

"It wasn't imitating Don Rickles. It was having that drive, that thing, you know? I was just locked into that," he said of his performance.

The role earned him an Oscar nomination. Caan also appeared in a flashback in "The Godfather, Part II."
Caan was perhaps best known for playing tough-guy characters in such films as "Thief" and "Rollerball." But he was a versatile actor who commanded a variety of roles, including "Misery," the 1990 Stephen King adaptation about a mild-mannered romance novelist terrorized by an obsessive fan.

He is probably best known to younger audiences for his role in "Elf," the Christmas tale in which he played Will Ferrell's Scrooge-like father, a children's book publisher unhappy to learn he has an exuberant grown son who wears an elf costume and pours maple syrup on his spaghetti.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2022, 11:29 pm

He was a good actor.

“Brian’s Song” is an ultimate tearjerker.

His son, Scott, is also a famous actor.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2022, 1:59 am

I'll always remember him best for Misery.

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2022, 4:06 am

I remember him from Cinderella Liberty, because I was too young to be taken to see a movie like that.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2022, 7:58 am

He always used to be play these "tough guy" roles...

He was very popular in the 70s----seemed to be in every "French Connection" sort of movie.