Pregnant woman claims she has right to use of HOV lanes...

Page 1 of 3 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2022, 10:21 pm

So in the U.S on some roads/highways, we have a lane for I guess cars with like multiple people to encourage car-pooling or whatever called an HOV lane. But yeah its like a special lane on the highway you can only use if you have multiple passangers.

So a pregnant woman in texas used the lane, and when stopped by police explained she has a fetus growing in her belly and so that is the other passenger. She is actually bringing it to court lol....but I love it like could challenge texas abortion laws...like so a fetus should be considered a person, but it is not a viable passenger in a vehicle? I mean come on if a fetus is to have more rights than a pregnant woman shouldn't they be considered a passenger in a vehicle? So of course pregnant woman should be able to use the HOV lane right :lol:

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2022, 10:23 pm

Hey, if it forces them to admit fetuses aren't people I'm all for it. Make all of these issues wedge issues just like how fetal homicide laws were used by antichoicers.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2022, 10:50 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
Hey, if it forces them to admit fetuses aren't people I'm all for it. Make all of these issues wedge issues just like how fetal homicide laws were used by antichoicers.

That is what I am hoping for, that this is part of challenging the anti-abortion madness in this country. But yeah gives the Texas government a hard position, like if a fetus is a full person with rights wouldn't they also be considered a passenger in a vehicle. So technically if you are pregnant you can use the HOV lane because you do indeed have a 'passanger'. I just hope there are more of these cheeky cases to challenge abortion restrictions.

Allegedly the cop told her it had to be a passenger outside her body, but idk if that is what the law there actually says. maybe she found a fun loophole to exploit. lol

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2022, 11:26 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
but idk if that is what the law there actually says.

Time to play in Google and see what can be found out ...
Looks like there are several "managed lane" regions which each have their own web pages,
https://www.txdot.gov/driver/managed-la ... lanes.html

Some samples,

https://www.txdot.gov/driver/managed-la ... lanes.html
"
North Texas HOV Lanes
Who can use the HOV lane?
A vehicle occupied by two or more people or a motorcyclist may use HOV lanes. Vehicles eligible to use HOV lanes include, but are not limited to:

passenger cars
pickup trucks
vans
buses
motorcycles
emergency vehicles responding to a call

Note: Hybrid vehicles with single occupants are not allowed in HOV lanes.
"

https://www.viainfo.net/hov/
"
LAWS OF THE HOV LANE:

HOV lanes are specifically designated lanes on the inside left of a highway that are exclusively reserved for vehicles carrying 2+(two or more passengers), such as:

Transit buses and cars or trucks
Carpools, vanpools and motorcycles
(Learn more: Vanpools, Carpools)
Emergency and Law Enforcement
VIA and marked vehicles
Trailer towing is prohibited
No bicycles or pedestrians permitted

HOV passenger regulations are enforced
by the San Antonio Police Department.
"

https://www.txdot.gov/driver/managed-la ... press.html
"
HOV Discounts
HOVs (high-occupancy vehicles) are vehicles with a driver and one or more passengers or motorcycles.

Registered HOV drivers and motorcycles receive a 50 percent discount during peak periods (Monday-Friday, 6:30 a.m. to 9 a.m. and 3 p.m. to 6:30 p.m.)

To register for HOV discounts, visit GoCarma or download the GoCarma app. Vehicles must have a TollTag, TxTag or EZ Tag to register.
"

:arrow: Now lets see if there is Texas law offering any definition of passenger ...

Well look at that ...

If she wants to go by the law ...

... the law would make her fetus a person ...

https://statutes.capitol.texas.gov/Docs ... TN.224.htm
"

SUBCHAPTER F. CONGESTION MITIGATION PROJECTS AND FACILITIES

Sec. 224.151. DEFINITIONS. In this subchapter:

(1) "Congestion" means the level at which transportation system performance is no longer acceptable because of traffic interference. The level of acceptable system performance may vary by type of transportation facility, geographic location, or time of day.

(2) "Congestion mitigation" means projects and facilities used to reduce congestion by promoting the use of carpools and vanpools, improve air quality, conserve fuel, and enhance the use of existing highways and facilities on the state highway system.

(3) "High occupancy vehicle" means a bus or other motorized passenger vehicle such as a carpool or vanpool vehicle used for ridesharing purposes and occupied by a specified minimum number of persons.

(4) "High occupancy vehicle lane" means one or more lanes of a highway or an entire highway where high occupancy vehicles are given at all times, or at regularly scheduled times, a priority or preference over some or all other vehicles moving in the general stream of all highway traffic.

(5) "Motor vehicle" has the meaning assigned by Section 522.003.

(6) "Transportation corporation" means ...
"

Then that leads to a question of whether only her fetus would be a person, or would all fetuses be universally defined as persons, or would individual fetuses be variably defined as persons or non-persons on a case by case basis.

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2022, 4:36 am

I say that a passenger seat must be occupied.

Mikah
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2022, 6:33 am

Your proposal is acceptable - more laws and judgments that define and reinforce the separate nature of mother and unborn...

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2022, 6:48 am

Mikah wrote:
Your proposal is acceptable - more laws and judgments that define and reinforce the separate nature of mother and unborn...
...from the same politicians that promise "less government".

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2022, 6:50 am

Matrix Glitch wrote:
I say that a passenger seat must be occupied.
This seems to be the standard by which similar cases in California have gone against pregnant women.

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2022, 7:27 am

Fnord wrote:
Mikah wrote:

Less government is desirable, but perhaps not when it comes to child welfare.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2022, 9:29 am

I actually like this, if a fetus is a human, treat it like one so that is what this woman did. I hope more pregnant women do this and challenge it in court for their abortion ban. Malicious compliance.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2022, 9:36 am

Well after the recent court case on abortion, it's safe to say to that an unborn baby is now a person.

The law can't pick and choose. What a slick move by the lady.

SkinnedWolf
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2022, 2:13 am

My impression is that only babies born can obtain citizenship in the United States.
So are the fetuses illegal immigrants?

Cover your eyes, if you like. It will serve no purpose.

You might expect to be able to crush them in your hand, into wolf-bone fragments.
Dance with me, funeralxempire. Into night's circle we fly, until the fire enjoys us.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2022, 4:27 am

Matrix Glitch wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Mikah wrote:

Then we are in agreement that the child must be provided for through the social safety net if said child resides in a financially underprivileged home?

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2022, 9:34 am

Sweetleaf wrote:
So in the U.S on some roads/highways, we have a lane for I guess cars with like multiple people to encourage car-pooling or whatever called an HOV lane. But yeah its like a special lane on the highway you can only use if you have multiple passangers.

So a pregnant woman in texas used the lane, and when stopped by police explained she has a fetus growing in her belly and so that is the other passenger. She is actually bringing it to court lol....but I love it like could challenge texas abortion laws...like so a fetus should be considered a person, but it is not a viable passenger in a vehicle? I mean come on if a fetus is to have more rights than a pregnant woman shouldn't they be considered a passenger in a vehicle? So of course pregnant woman should be able to use the HOV lane right :lol:

Best of luck to this lady! You tell 'em!

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2022, 9:42 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
Matrix Glitch wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Mikah wrote:
Then we are in agreement that the child must be provided for through the social safety net if said child resides in a financially underprivileged home?
That is not what the "Pro-Birth" crowd has in mind when they claim to be "Pro-Life".

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2022, 2:48 pm

Fnord wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Matrix Glitch wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Mikah wrote:
That is not what the "Pro-Birth" crowd has in mind when they claim to be "Pro-Life".

I know. That's why they're not really pro-life.