First Ever Severe Heatwave Warning for the UK, help!

Page 8 of 21 [ 323 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 21  Next

klanka
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2022, 6:19 am

KitLily wrote:
I am the climate change reporter for Britain today, kraftiekortie!

I wonder if I'll ever find out why I can never hydrate myself. Normal people don't get like this. And it also means I can't eat much either if I can't hydrate. I must be an alien.

If you drink water with some salt in it, you'll get your hydration wishes come true

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2022, 6:42 am

Matrix Glitch wrote:
Dehydration is mostly a problem when outdoors experiencing exertion. And also when in dry desert climates.

For me however, dehydration is a 24/7 problem every day of the year. Obviously worse in heatwaves.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2022, 6:43 am

klanka wrote:
If you drink water with some salt in it, you'll get your hydration wishes come true

Thanks but I'm drinking Dioralyte. That stuff is a godsend. I think it's got salt and sugar in.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2022, 6:44 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
We’re getting a heatwave, too. Till at least Saturday. Temps pushing 35C or more, heat index in the 40s. Nights over 25C at times.

Oh that's exactly the same temps as us! We're the same! How strange!

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2022, 7:33 am

I wish I could give you an air-conditioner now!

I hope the UK government comes to its senses, and realizes that these heatwaves will be a yearly thing, and help people get air-conditioners.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2022, 8:01 am

They're forecasting over 30 Celsius even for the immediate coast even in the north of England. Scotland is mostly below 30.

Liverpool probably has a record all-time high at this point. It's up to 34 Celsius there. Ridiculously hot for this location. Even in other heatwaves, Liverpool didn't get above 30. Liverpool's all-time highest temperature is 34.5 Celsius.

I wouldn't go out in the sun. I would seek some air-conditioned place, if possible.

Do you have a fan?

Last edited by kraftiekortie on 18 Jul 2022, 8:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2022, 8:29 am

It is cool in our living room as this house has old stone walls. Is like an oven to walk outside. Haha! But I remember the heatwaves in the 1970's and they were not only like this, but we had no water in our taps in one year of the '70's. Fortunately there are springs in the area though some have been drained and concreted over in some villages and towns as they did not see the need to kewp them. Silly if you ask me. Same as the old wells we had. There was a big one in a village near me and it was demolished in the 1990's. Was near the castle.

It makes one think if our modern ways are limiting our chances of survival in the difficult situations? I often thought that if there was a war today we would be like sitting ducks as we rely so much on electricity... In WW2 only the more wealthier town houses had electric or gas and even those people did not take them for granted back then... They knew how to live without such things. Today we don't seem to have a clue how to quickly adapt if we need to, and our "Modern" infrastructure means we simply do not have the essential aspects and things to fall back on like we once had and took for granted. Example.
Ask yourself this.
Where is your nearest source of clean accessable drinking water if water did not come out of your taps?
If the gas and electricity supplies were cut off, how would you heat your home in the winter?
If you don't know or don't have a way to access any of these basic things, then you are really vunerable should either a natural disaster occur or if a war broke out.
In the past, even though some lived in luxury, everone knew the basics so were not so vunerable if something like this came along.

Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2022, 8:36 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
I hope the UK government comes to its senses

not going to happen on any topic

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2022, 8:57 am

It doesn't matter whether or not it's "climate change."

The fact is----the UK is getting hotter, in general. Over 30 Celsius heatwaves have become an annual thing. And I believe this sort of heat will eventually trickle up to Scotland. It's over 32 Celsius in York right now. York is very far north---almost to Scotland.

People need air-conditioners.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2022, 9:35 am

Mountain Goat wrote:
It makes one think if our modern ways are limiting our chances of survival in the difficult situations?
Ask yourself this.
Where is your nearest source of clean accessable drinking water if water did not come out of your taps?
If the gas and electricity supplies were cut off, how would you heat your home in the winter?
If you don't know or don't have a way to access any of these basic things, then you are really vunerable should either a natural disaster occur or if a war broke out.

I think you are right about modern ways limiting our chances of survival.

Not only what you wrote in your comment but all these people whose lives are run by their phones. The phone and/or internet runs all the systems in the house e.g. fridge, air-con, their bank accounts etc. I'm not even sure what systems they run, because no way would I allow MY PHONE OR THE INTERNET to run my life! That makes you so reliant on one thing to keep you alive.

What if there was an EMP? I think one day there will be and all power would go off and we'd be helpless.

I don't know where clean drinking water is but we have some life straws which filter the bad guys out of water. Haven't used them yet, we need to prime them. Hopefully they'd allow us to drink.

No idea how I'd heat my house.

And also, all new houses in Britain aren't the old stone walled ones, they are all heatboxes full of heat making materials.

Last edited by KitLily on 18 Jul 2022, 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2022, 9:38 am

Biscuitman wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:
I hope the UK government comes to its senses

not going to happen on any topic

Yes, they are completely ignoring the heatwave aren't they and pushing a non renewable energy strategy. As well as all their other nonsense.

32C here now, everyone.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2022, 9:52 am

Sorry to get political but the UK does everything the wrong way then expect the general public to do something about global warming.

They cut down trees and dig up land and build a thousand houses, and move shops from the high street to the sticks so you have to drive a car to get there - all encouraging global warming but then the public more or less get blamed for global warming.

Make shops central so a lot of people can walk (although they still probably won't but at least the choice will be there), stop building a thousand unaffordable houses and flats on every piece of land, and...um...cant think of a third thing.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2022, 9:57 am

Trees give out carbon dioxide at night, so they are basically carbon neutral.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2022, 9:58 am

Joe90 wrote:
Sorry to get political but the UK does everything the wrong way then expect the general public to do something about global warming.

They cut down trees and dig up land and build a thousand houses, and move shops from the high street to the sticks so you have to drive a car to get there - all encouraging global warming but then the public more or less get blamed for global warming.

Make shops central so a lot of people can walk (although they still probably won't but at least the choice will be there), stop building a thousand unaffordable houses and flats on every piece of land, and...um...cant think of a third thing.

^^what she said! 100%

The UK government seems to be determined to kill us.

I have an Italian friend and he said the UK government is even worse than the Italian one! He said that is very hard to do.

Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2022, 10:22 am

I would love to see town centres become much greener. actual pathways of trees and plants to shops. sides of building covered in greenery etc

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2022, 10:29 am

That would make sense....in a place which is naturally forested and has well-distributed precipitation year round.