First Ever Severe Heatwave Warning for the UK, help!

Page 13 of 21 [ 323 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 21  Next

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2022, 8:18 am

KitLily wrote:
I'm used to being sneered at, ignored and mocked.

I would like to help out by providing a more familiar interaction environment but thanks to the ME/CFS I just don't have the energy, sorry.
:wink: :lol:

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2022, 8:41 am

Joe90 wrote:
That's nasty for people to sneer at such a lovely person like you. I bet if I met you in real life you'd be so great to be around. You're a great poster here so I hope you stick around.

There's a guy at work who's a bit like you. He's a sensitive soul and often gets people underappreciating his kind nature and his competence in his work. But after confiding in me about it, he feels much better because of the nice things I said about him and the fact that he knows I won't go and tell others what he says. He feels he can trust me and he knows I'm honest but tactful.
He's neurotypical as far as I know.

Most people think I'm intimidating, too blunt/rude, a show off (because I can't hide my intelligence and pretend to be stupid, why would I?) I don't know how to behave to stop them making that mistake. I know they are very surprised when they realise how kind I am underneath.

It is because I am fed up with being a doormat so I probably put up a wall.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2022, 8:42 am

kitesandtrainsandcats wrote:
KitLily wrote:
I'm used to being sneered at, ignored and mocked.

I would like to help out by providing a more familiar interaction environment but thanks to the ME/CFS I just don't have the energy, sorry.
:wink: :lol:

Errrr...okay then? 8O

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2022, 8:44 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
A line of thunderstorms moved through Plymouth, is now in Exeter, now Cardiff. It's 24 Celsius now, and going down in Plymouth.

I believe, once the thunderstorms arrive in your area, that it will get cooler.

Thanks, I hope so! The forecast says at 4.30pm it will start cooling.

It is now 32C in my home.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2022, 9:24 am

The showers have just passed Bath. They might or might not be thunderstorms.

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2022, 10:18 am

Current temp: 39°C - 103°F

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2022, 10:25 am

Matrix Glitch wrote:
Current temp: 39°C - 103°F

Where's that?

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2022, 10:28 am

/\It will be that here today and the foreseeable future.We had a heatwave like this in 2012 and it killed a large Green Giant Thuja in my yard.A hot wind started to blow and instead of cooling, it was hotter , like air out of a oven.That evening the tree turned a funny orange color and gave up the ghost.The giant boxwood started to turn a funny color but luckily we had a drought busting rain just on time and saved it.
I hope it’s not as bad this go round.Last spring I planted several baby magnolia trees, different varieties ,and they need water everyday to survive.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2022, 10:34 am

Misslizard wrote:
/\It will be that here today and the foreseeable future.We had a heatwave like this in 2012 and it killed a large Green Giant Thuja in my yard.A hot wind started to blow and instead of cooling, it was hotter , like air out of a oven.That evening the tree turned a funny orange color and gave up the ghost.The giant boxwood started to turn a funny color but luckily we had a drought busting rain just on time and saved it.
I hope it’s not as bad this go round.Last spring I planted several baby magnolia trees, different varieties ,and they need water everyday to survive.

Poor trees :( And poor you.

We'll have to copy American survival techniques in future, I think it'll get hotter in Britain and we aren't prepared for it. Lots of people live in heat islands e.g. London and other cities, or tower blocks surrounded by concrete. I dread to think how they are suffering.

I am sitting on a warm cosy carpet at home but the floor is the coolest place. We have fitted carpets in every room because British homes are designed to be cosy and warm. This will not go well in the future... :?

British temperatures have broken all records today by going to 39C and 40C.

Major incident declared in London as fires burn
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-62184978

Last edited by KitLily on 19 Jul 2022, 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2022, 10:43 am

Provisionally (not officially confirmed yet), Heathrow reached 40.2 Celsius (104.4 Fahrenheit).

I wish the showers would move faster; but the line of showers is very well put together, and covers a considerable area. They are now passing through Winchester.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2022, 10:52 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
Provisionally (not officially confirmed yet), Heathrow reached 40.2 Celsius (104.4 Fahrenheit).

I wish the showers would move faster; but the line of showers is very well put together, and covers a considerable area. They are now passing through Winchester.

They are lying toads. I live right near Winchester and it's dry still! It rained for about 2 minutes just now, then went back to hot :x

Yes, see this link 8O

Major incident declared in London as fires burn

Last edited by KitLily on 19 Jul 2022, 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2022, 10:54 am

KitLily wrote:
Misslizard wrote:

Poor trees :( And poor you.

We'll have to copy American survival techniques in future, I think it'll get hotter in Britain and we aren't prepared for it. Lots of people live in heat islands e.g. London and other cities, or tower blocks surrounded by concrete. I dread to think how they are suffering.

I am sitting on a warm cosy carpet at home but the floor is the coolest place. We have fitted carpets in every room because British homes are designed to be cosy and warm. This will not go well in the future... :?

British temperatures have broken all records today by going to 39C and 40C.

You may get weird fluctuations like we do, very cold spells in the winter then scorching summers.I’ve seen it below zero one winter with almost a foot of snow and then 111 one summer.You have to prepare for both extremes here .haha
Planting greenery in heat islands like cities is a good way to plan for future heat waves.Maybe this will inspire that to happen.More Trees for everyone!!
I have wood floors and they are cool in the summer and cold in the winter so I use throw rugs then.Right now the dogs prefer to lay on the floor rather the couch.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2022, 10:58 am

Maybe 1-2 hours from now, the showers will get to London. This will probably help with the fires.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2022, 11:00 am

Misslizard wrote:
You may get weird fluctuations like we do, very cold spells in the winter then scorching summers.I’ve seen it below zero one winter with almost a foot of snow and then 111 one summer.You have to prepare for both extremes here .haha
Planting greenery in heat islands like cities is a good way to plan for future heat waves.Maybe this will inspire that to happen.More Trees for everyone!!
I have wood floors and they are cool in the summer and cold in the winter so I use throw rugs then.Right now the dogs prefer to lay on the floor rather the couch.

We have been getting weird fluctuations like that for the last few years but probably not as extreme as yours.

If we had a decent government they'd plant greenery but they are the opposite. They are cutting down on measures to help the environment and increasing fracking and fossil fuel usage. :evil: Very like Trump.

As I said, most British homes have fitted carpets, cosy furnishings, everything is warm and soft. It makes a huge difference if you have wood floors in hot weather. All the furnishings in my house smell right now and are radiating heat. It's hard to explain what it's like to people not used to having fitted carpets. Even Europeans don't have cosy, warm homes because they are used to hot weather. Brits are not :(

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2022, 11:02 am

Sorry about that! That you missed most of the showers......but I do believe things will start to cool off now.

It's below 30 Celsius in most places west of the showers, especially Stonehenge and west.

It's 31 in Winchester now. It's supposed to go down to 17 tonight.

Last edited by kraftiekortie on 19 Jul 2022, 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2022, 11:03 am

People that toss lit cigarette butts out the window during a drought are the worst.
They cause lots of grass fires.But when it gets that hot and dry even a car pulled over on the grass can set it on fire from the heat of the catalytic converter.Just a spark from something dragging on the concrete or even a broken piece of glass reflecting the sun.

Last edited by Misslizard on 19 Jul 2022, 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.