First Ever Severe Heatwave Warning for the UK, help!

Page 3 of 21 [ 323 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 21  Next

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2022, 4:27 pm

I was born in the US southwest and live in the midwest, when talking wildfires around the world, Ireland doesn't ever come to mind.

But ...

Publication
Fire Management

From Department of Agriculture, Food and the Marine

Published on 2 March 2021

Last updated on 15 July 2022

https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/01773 ... er-notices
"
... Gorse will burn readily in all seasons and although fires occur throughout the year, the risk is greatest during dry spells from March to June when ground vegetation is dormant and dry. The risk increases with decreasing humidity and increasing wind speed. Most people significantly underestimate the intense flammability of vegetation and the speed at which a relatively small fire can become out of control. Fire risk substantially increases with the presence of people who are untrained, ill prepared, uninformed, or inexperienced in managing a controlled fire.
"

"
Fire Danger Notices
"

Caz72
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2022, 4:30 pm

im not looking forward to driving a bus in 40 degrees

last year during a heatwave the air con didnt work and the heaters came on instead and nobody could get them to turn off

things like that usually happens with the old arriva buses that i drive

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2022, 9:17 pm

Joe90 wrote:
I'm worrying about it too, and I've never been worried about heat before, as it's my favourite weather (next to rain and thunder).

The 40 Celsius temperatures were going to be at the weekend but now it's postponed to Monday and Tuesday when I've got to go to work, and it's going to be horrendous. I didn't even want to go outside in 40 degrees weather, I was planning on cooling off indoors if it was at the weekend like it was supposed to be.

I'm hoping work will call me and say that it's too hot to clean coaches (or if lack thereof, sit around in hot clothes waiting for 5pm). But I doubt they will. I don't know if I'm classed as a key worker or not.

I did want to be at home making sure my pet rats are cooling off. I've bought them an indoor paddling-pool to play in when it's really hot, but they obviously need to be under supervision. My boyfriend isn't as good at supervising rats as I am, although I could still set up the paddling pool and tell him to stay in the room and keep an eye just while I'm at work during the afternoon.

Our apartment gets hot, which is a bonus in the winter but not in the summer. Also my dad is traveling on Monday and I'm worrying about the extreme heat overheating his car on the highway. Knowing him though, he'll probably travel early in the morning when it's at its coolest.

Yes, 40+ is unusually hot for the UK. Typically during a UK heatwave the temperature doesn't get much higher than 34, so having temperatures of over 40 is going to be a shock to everyone.

Could you put a block of ice in their pool?
Maybe some frozen treats like fruit or carrots to chew on?
I freeze small containers of water for my dogs bowl.
People with outdoor pets need to be vigilant about them overheating, especially long haired animals.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2022, 9:59 pm

It just might not make it to 40.

Of course, it will be hot.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2022, 10:04 pm

If you don't have air conditioning but you do have windows that can open from the top, open them (or at least most of them) at the top, NOT the bottom. Opening windows at the top lets out the hot air that accumulates near the ceiling.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2022, 10:48 pm

If it cools off at night ,put a box fan in the window to pull the cool air in.
Make sure the curtains or blinds are closed on windows the sun shines in.
Soaking feet in cold water will cool you down quick.Popsicles are a good choice , make healthy ones with juice.
Outdoor plants in pots will dry out fast, you may need to water twice a day.Expect some flowers and fruit to drop.
Be vigilant if you see a child or pet in a hot car.If they are in distress, don’t wait for help, break the window and get them out .

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2022, 10:50 pm

^ :heart:

Also, run cold water on the underside of your wrists.
It really helps.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2022, 11:17 pm

Global warming here we come...

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2022, 2:20 am

Joe90 wrote:
I'm worrying about it too, and I've never been worried about heat before, as it's my favourite weather (next to rain and thunder).

The 40 Celsius temperatures were going to be at the weekend but now it's postponed to Monday and Tuesday when I've got to go to work, and it's going to be horrendous. I didn't even want to go outside in 40 degrees weather, I was planning on cooling off indoors if it was at the weekend like it was supposed to be.

I'm hoping work will call me and say that it's too hot to clean coaches (or if lack thereof, sit around in hot clothes waiting for 5pm). But I doubt they will. I don't know if I'm classed as a key worker or not.

Do you get paid if you're off sick? If so, could you make up some heat related illness and call in sick? I'm lucky that I work from home but if I didn't, I'd call in sick.

I overheat in normal summers, I've got some kind of problem with my body which means it can't cope with extreme temperatures so god knows what'll happen to me this time...

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2022, 2:22 am

Caz72 wrote:
im not looking forward to driving a bus in 40 degrees

last year during a heatwave the air con didnt work and the heaters came on instead and nobody could get them to turn off

things like that usually happens with the old arriva buses that i drive

This is the problem in Britain isn't it. Yes, there is SOME air conditioning but it often doesn't work because it's rarely used or serviced.

I know about Arriva buses, they are old now aren't they.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2022, 2:25 am

Misslizard wrote:
If it cools off at night ,put a box fan in the window to pull the cool air in.
Make sure the curtains or blinds are closed on windows the sun shines in.
Soaking feet in cold water will cool you down quick.Popsicles are a good choice , make healthy ones with juice.
Outdoor plants in pots will dry out fast, you may need to water twice a day.Expect some flowers and fruit to drop.
Be vigilant if you see a child or pet in a hot car.If they are in distress, don’t wait for help, break the window and get them out .

Thanks.
I'm thinking I will a) get some bottled water for couriers as I have one coming on Monday, and men coming to service my oven on Tuesday! Of all days.
b) if I see stupid people outside in the middle of the day, I'll tell them to go indoors. Especially children.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2022, 8:06 am

“Only mad dogs and Englishmen go out in the midday sun.”
Kipling

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2022, 9:35 am

You will just haft to resign yourself to this fate:

https://youtu.be/pkpglRZWEtU

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2022, 10:19 am

Wonder if they will leave the wax Boris out to melt.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2022, 10:27 am

Our AC doesn't work so live as I have always had, use fans, keep windows closed and shades Drawn, dress light, get a portable AC. Drink lots of water to stay hydrated. See if there will be any cooling centers. Any community centers that are AC, go there to keep cool.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2022, 10:29 am

Also a trick I learned is, put ice behind the fan and it makes the air cool. Or use cold sodas and put behind fan to cool the air.

Also Google redneck air conditioning.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.