Teacher jailed for violating court order over a pronoun row

Page 12 of 15 [ 227 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2022, 7:42 am

magz wrote:
People get suspended and fired for not adhering to their company's conduct guidelines all the time.
If any of them insisted on defying their suspension, the story would go the same.

Do you really think this was somehow different?

Check out my other thread:

"A Kansas teacher will receive a $95,000 settlement after she was suspended for refusing to use a student's preferred name and pronouns

former teacher in Kansas will get $95,000 in a settlement after she was suspended for refusing to use a student's preferred name and pronouns.

Pamela Ricard — a former math strategies elective teacher at Fort Riley Middle School in Fort Riley, Kansas who retired in May, according to the school website — sued Geary County Schools in March over her suspension. The school agreed to pay her $95,000 in damages and attorneys' fees, and the lawsuit was dismissed on Wednesday.
"

https://www.businessinsider.com/teacher ... 2022-9?amp

viewtopic.php?t=408454

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

08 Sep 2022, 7:57 am

Different countries, different legal systems, but most of all:
One teacher sued the school (I believe fired/suspended employees do it every now and then, that's also part of regular conduct), the other defied the court order.
Outcomes differed.

That's what I encounter when moderating: when discussing a rule, do not intentionally break it. You're making your situation and your case worse. The Irish teacher pushed this to the limit.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2022, 10:51 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
Just call the person by the preferred pronoun. Why get all testy and political about it?

I wish we could bring Jesus Himself, in flesh and blood form, into this debate.

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2022, 11:06 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
Just call the person by the preferred pronoun. Why get all testy and political about it?

No you don't. Jesus always spoke the will of the Father. And the will of the Father would not be in favor of anything outside of male and female. Jesus isn't the liberal hippie some folks want to portray him as.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2022, 11:09 am

Matrix Glitch wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:

No you don't. Jesus always spoke the will of the Father. And the will of the Father would not be in favor of anything outside of male and female. Jesus isn't the liberal hippie some folks want to portray him as.

:lol:

Yeah, he was full of hate and preached things like "Hate your neighbour and bone his wife."

Always funny to me how people can twist God/Jesus' words into whatever they want in the moment to suit their argument for why they should be considered good Christians for being bigots. Not like, "funny haha," actually funny.. funny like "Wtf is wrong with these people? Did they even read the bible or attend Church, ever??" sort of "this is very, very, odd," kind of funny.

Doberdoofus
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2022, 11:18 am

goldfish21 wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:

I think religion is the problem here. Both threads about teachers involved fundamentalism. F*ck religion in the ass with a splintered crucifix or reliquary of your choice.

Don't be so eager to be offended. The narcissism of small differences leads to the most boring kind of conformity.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2022, 11:41 am

Doberdoofus wrote:

I think religion is the problem here. Both threads about teachers involved fundamentalism. F*ck religion in the ass with a splintered crucifix or reliquary of your choice.

lmao but how do you really feel?

Doberdoofus
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2022, 12:16 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
Doberdoofus wrote:

lmao but how do you really feel?

I'm feeling blunt today. The teacher from this thread comes from a family who are "known for their religious, conservative activism and involvement in high-profile legal cases and protests in Ireland." BURKE FAMILY

Don't be so eager to be offended. The narcissism of small differences leads to the most boring kind of conformity.

Last edited by Doberdoofus on 08 Sep 2022, 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2022, 12:40 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
Matrix Glitch wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:

Yeah, he was full of hate and preached things like "Hate your neighbour and bone his wife."

Always funny to me how people can twist God/Jesus' words into whatever they want in the moment to suit their argument for why they should be considered good Christians for being bigots. Not like, "funny haha," actually funny.. funny like "Wtf is wrong with these people? Did they even read the bible or attend Church, ever??" sort of "this is very, very, odd," kind of funny.

I've read the Bible, attended Bible college, and have attended church for over 50 years. Jesus constantly quoted scripture and scripture says that God created us male and female, period. And God told Moses in person that He considers homosexuality to be an abomination. That is what the scripture says. Both scripture and Jesus are called the Word. They are one in the same, inseparable. Jesus made it clear that unless one gives up all worldly and fleshly things and obeys the will of the Father, they are not one of his sheep. "My sheep listen to my voice; I know them, and they follow me" John 10:27. "Then I will tell them plainly, ‘I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!" Matthew 7:23.

Then Jesus said to his disciples, “Whoever wants to be my disciple must deny themselves and take up their cross and follow me. 25 For whoever wants to save their life[f] will lose it, but whoever loses their life for me will find it. 26 What good will it be for someone to gain the whole world, yet forfeit their soul? Or what can anyone give in exchange for their soul? Matthew 16:24-26

They will throw them into the blazing furnace, where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth. Matthew 13:42

The master of that servant will come on a day when he does not expect him and at an hour he is not aware of. He will cut him to pieces and assign him a place with the unbelievers. Luke 12:46

And if your eye causes you to stumble, gouge it out and throw it away. It is better for you to enter life with one eye than to have two eyes and be thrown into the fire of hell. Matthew 18:9

Lots more verses like that. Jesus was loving and forgiving, but he was also quite stern. Stern enough to make even his own followers nervous.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2022, 12:55 pm

Matrix Glitch wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:
Matrix Glitch wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:

I've read the Bible, attended Bible college, and have attended church for over 50 years. Jesus constantly quoted scripture and scripture says that God created us male and female, period. And God told Moses in person that He considers homosexuality to be an abomination. That is what the scripture says. Both scripture and Jesus are called the Word. They are one in the same, inseparable. Jesus made it clear that unless one gives up all worldly and fleshly things and obeys the will of the Father, they are not one of his sheep.

Then Jesus said to his disciples, “Whoever wants to be my disciple must deny themselves and take up their cross and follow me. 25 For whoever wants to save their life[f] will lose it, but whoever loses their life for me will find it. 26 What good will it be for someone to gain the whole world, yet forfeit their soul? Or what can anyone give in exchange for their soul? Matthew 16:24-26

They will throw them into the blazing furnace, where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth. Matthew 13:42

The master of that servant will come on a day when he does not expect him and at an hour he is not aware of. He will cut him to pieces and assign him a place with the unbelievers. Luke 12:46

And if your eye causes you to stumble, gouge it out and throw it away. It is better for you to enter life with one eye than to have two eyes and be thrown into the fire of hell. Matthew 18:9

Lots more verses like that. Jesus was loving and forgiving, but he was also quite stern. Stern enough to make even his own followers nervous.

I don't believe everything you've written above nor everything you've written in a variety of other posts. What did God/Jesus have to say about lying?

I don't believe God told Moses that homosexuality is an abomination, either. I've never read any such thing nor heard any homophobe quote that particular scripture before in my life.. and we even had some nutter homophobe preacher spouting nonsense downtown by the beach for a week before he physically got into an altercation with someone and was subsequently arrested and told to gtfo. Even he didn't spout off about any of those claims in any of the cell phone videos I watched. You'd think that might be a central argument of homophobic preachers if it were a real argument to make. But I suppose the the obvious reason no one makes that argument is that you would literally have to be Moses in order to know it were true, otherwise it's merely speculation potentially lost in translation over the course of the last couple thousand years or so of the retelling of Rome's favourite tale crafted to perpetuate the control of the empire beyond it's physical collapse.

And then there's the fact that, according to the bible, woman was created from Adam's rib.. making Eve the first trans woman in history. 8)

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2022, 1:45 pm

CockneyRebel wrote:
It's very unsettling that a person can get sent to jail for saying the wrong things these days.

Wait, I thought you supported trans people, I guess I was mistaken.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2022, 1:54 pm

League_Girl wrote:
CockneyRebel wrote:
It's very unsettling that a person can get sent to jail for saying the wrong things these days.

A person can be trans or support trans, without wanting people with different opinions sent to jail.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2022, 2:00 pm

itscomplicated wrote:
magz wrote:
And if I looked like a guy and talked like a guy, would you peek into my pants?

what kind of questionis that

It's a polite way of calling out transphobia. You Challenge their bigotry.

Matrix Glitch
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2022, 2:02 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
I don't believe everything you've written above nor everything you've written in a variety of other posts. What did God/Jesus have to say about lying?

He said not to bear false witness ie make false accusations against others.
goldfish21 wrote:
I don't believe God told Moses that homosexuality is an abomination, either. I've never read any such thing nor heard any homophobe quote that particular scripture before in my life..

“You shall not lie with a male as with a woman. It is an abomination.” Leviticus 18:22.
goldfish21 wrote:
and we even had some nutter homophobe preacher spouting nonsense downtown by the beach for a week before he physically got into an altercation with someone and was subsequently arrested and told to gtfo. Even he didn't spout off about any of those claims in any of the cell phone videos I watched. You'd think that might be a central argument of homophobic preachers if it were a real argument to make. But I suppose the the obvious reason no one makes that argument is that you would literally have to be Moses in order to know it were true, otherwise it's merely speculation potentially lost in translation over the course of the last couple thousand years or so of the retelling of Rome's favourite tale crafted to perpetuate the control of the empire beyond it's physical collapse.

And then there's the fact that, according to the bible, woman was created from Adam's rib.. making Eve the first trans woman in history. 8)

That's called eisegesis; the interpretation of scripture by reading into it one's own ideas.

Last edited by Matrix Glitch on 08 Sep 2022, 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2022, 2:03 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
League_Girl wrote:
CockneyRebel wrote:

A person can be trans or support trans, without wanting people with different opinions sent to jail.

Its not being supportive if you are okay with people refusing to use pronouns. This is about civil rights. I find it strange how even a trans person can be okay with it. I guess she wouldn't mind if I call him a her since she was born female. There, how's that? My opinion.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2022, 2:05 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
League_Girl wrote:
CockneyRebel wrote:

Yes, this.

It's like Biden said about a heckler in a recent speech "Everyone's entitled to be an idiot."

It doesn't mean they're not rude or mean spirited bigots. But even I can think they're awfully nasty people without believing they ought to go to jail for saying stupid things.

My trans fwb says he cares a lot less about what people say about trans people than I do. He genuinely seems to just listen to peoples bs and let it roll right off his shoulders like water off a duck's back. Probably healthier for him than getting mad at every transphobic as*hole that has idiotic s**t to say.