Page 10 of 10 [ 156 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2022, 10:40 am

Even Jackie O seems to be a ...not solid.

I was just now trying to find the site that said Jacki O had Black grandparents...and stumbled on another site that gave a detailed genealogy of her recent progenitors that doesnt mention anyone not European. BUT it tells a wild story about how WAY BACK she had ancestor in 1664 who was a Dutch pirate - who 'went native in Morrocco..converted to Islam...and returned to New York ...which was then New Amsterdam...with a dark Arab Moroccan Arab mistress" (who presumably contributed to Jackie's DNA. Thats kinda cool! :D

I guess both things are true. Many celebs you assume are White are not. But many rumors about celeb ancestors are not true either.

I think that I will ...lay off ...before I get lost in the Internet on this stuff!

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2022, 6:22 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Not that it really matters…..but it doesn’t seem like Clark Gable had African ancestry.

It matters from the standpoint of accuracy only.

There's been a number of high profile Americans with African ancestry who never publicly admitted it but through family trees was discovered to be the case. Clarke Gable was one of them. Others include:Head of FBI: Herbert Hoover (some irony here given he was a crusader against black civil rights)

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2022, 6:25 pm

According to 23 and me it's likely millions of white Americans have a black slave ancestor

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2022, 8:16 pm

I’m not saying it can’t happen….but on what evidence do you conclude that Clark Gable had African ancestry? If it turns out that he did, so what?

Ultimately, of course, EVERYBODY has African ancestry.

If I find out I have relatively recent African ancestry, that wouldn’t faze me in the least.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2022, 8:59 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I’m not saying it can’t happen….but on what evidence do you conclude that Clark Gable had African ancestry? If it turns out that he did, so what?

Ultimately, of course, EVERYBODY has African ancestry.

If I find out I have relatively recent African ancestry, that wouldn’t faze me in the least.

A popular passtime in America is doing family trees and ancestry
There's some cringeworthy documentaries out there about American families discovering they had a recent black ancestor in their family tree. It is a big deal for them. And the reaction is never positive

When families do family trees or DNA tests they want to find famous or illustrious white ancestors whom they can be proud. When they find a black ancestor it's like they stepped on a mine. It's so cringe to watch,

Same with young people who post their DNA testing on 23 and me or Ancestry.com. They get all excited about having 1% Scandinavian ancestry but pretend to not notice they have 5% Subsaharan African ancestry. Just such cultural cringe.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2022, 11:05 pm

I have a grandfather who died of alcoholism. He was Jewish.

If I had a black ancestor who was an accountant, or even a great carpenter who lived an honorable life, I would be proud.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2022, 11:27 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
If I had a black ancestor who was an accountant, or even a great carpenter who lived an honorable life, I would be proud.

You at least have grounded attitudes/values

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2022, 9:32 am

DeathFlowerKing wrote:
Sounds like a very interesting movie I'll have to check it out. :)

You sound just like my mom btw when she finally came to the conclusion that it wasn't worth it to try and maintain a relationship with her own narcissistic mother. Can't say I blame either of you, narcissists are the worst!

And yes I too hope we soon come out of this period of jerks and wannabe jerks. :heart:

Yes it is a pretty moving and engaging film. I am a bit shocked that the 1980s is now historical though!! I was a teenager in the 1980s! 8O

All the advice from narcissism experts is to go No Contact with narcissists. That suits me.

But the main reason is...when I actually do go to see my mother, all she does is moan and complain and doesn't seem to enjoy the visit. Therefore why should I visit if it only annoys and upsets her? Why should I inflict my awful self on her? So I don't.

The last time I saw her was in April 2022 after over a year. She stayed 2 hours because she'd got sick of us by then, her only daughter and granddaughter. So she doesn't really miss me, it's just emotional blackmail she likes to do. It doesn't work on me anymore.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2022, 9:34 am

Remember folks. We all originate from Africa, so racists are talking nonsense.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2022, 12:11 pm

cyberdad wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:

You at least have grounded attitudes/values

Dude...stop it with the sloppy reasoning please.

1)If you're purpose is to prove that one person: Clark Gable was Black you have lost the argument by failing to produce any evidence. None of your maps and graphs have a darn thing to do with proving your point( if that is indeed your point). So just admit defeat already.

2)The fact that there are tons of other "White" celebs who are really Black or have Black ancestry has nothing to do with proving that that a rumor about it is true in any one particular case. Like Clark Gable. So stop talking like it does prove it. Its a logical fallacy. The fact that J. Edgar Hoover, or Slash (in gunsnroses) is Black doesnt prove that Clark Gable was Black. Gable might have been...but I cant find solid evidence for it in my quick search, and you certainly havent proven it.

3) Krafty, and everyone else on this thread, is 'innocent until proven guilty' of racism. You can assume that Krafty and I and every other White person on this thread would NOT be upset if Clark Gable turned out to be Black, or that even if they themselves had Black ancestry.

4) If your point is that you're not sure about Gable, but that many "White" folks are part Black then thats a different subject. And you have shown that to be so, but then you should state it that way if thats your point.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2022, 3:05 pm

NP, were you are lawyer before you retired?

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2022, 1:54 am

:lol:

No. Am just an aspie.

My gf says I should stop expecting most folks to "think the systematic way you do" so... I should go ez on them, or something. :lol: