We are no longer allowed to protest in Britain. At all.

Page 6 of 9 [ 144 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2022, 7:26 am

Nades wrote:
KitLily wrote:
Nades wrote:
Its says in every news article on the subject where they want to draw a line on protests. Even in the link you provided it explicitly says that they wanted to target disruptive protestors.

It depends what they see as 'disruptive' though doesn't it. It is all so vague that 'disruptive' could mean anything e.g. 'people likely to protest.' They will have to clarify it carefully so the law is not abused by people with agendas.

It's left vague so people like you and me can decide on what's disruptive of we're chosen to be in a jury in such a case and not the home secretary over government. If you're on a jury you not only have the chance to decide on what's disruptive, you also have your decision used in future cases under common law.

Let's hope so! Let's hope the decision of what is disruptive isn't left to the police or government, or individuals within those organisations. Because that could lead to very strange decisions and the government getting absolute power over everything. Which will not be good.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2022, 7:27 am

Summer_Twilight wrote:
KitLily wrote:
Just to say that the British government has brought in laws to prevent the public from protesting about anything, even peacefully.

And that the police now have the powers to arrest anyone they think is 'likely to protest.'

That could be anyone! Any human at any time.

I'm angry and scared. Britain is quickly becoming a police state.

Ok, who set this law into motion? The new king maybe?

Definitely not. The king has no power to do this sort of thing. It is the Home Secretary, Suella Braverman and her allies.

Persephone29
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2022, 12:43 am

Tim_Tex wrote:
Forget protesting, I want to emulate a certain incident involving Jim Morrison (you all know which one...), but mean ol' Greg Abbott won't let me.

Do it in a Federal Park, he doesn't have jurisdiction there.

Neurocognitive exam in May 2019, diagnosed with ASD, Asperger's type in June 2019.

Persephone29
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2022, 12:52 am

Protesting that causes any inconvenience to citizens has become very risky in the U.S., blocking traffic or vandalism doesn't seem to be well tolerated by some. It's not legal to run someone over, but I'd much rather piss off a cop than be mowed down. I don't see many incidents like citizens running over protestors reported in Britain. Is that a 'thing' where you live OP?

Neurocognitive exam in May 2019, diagnosed with ASD, Asperger's type in June 2019.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

13 Nov 2022, 6:16 am

Persephone29 wrote:
Protesting that causes any inconvenience to citizens has become very risky in the U.S., blocking traffic or vandalism doesn't seem to be well tolerated by some. It's not legal to run someone over, but I'd much rather piss off a cop than be mowed down. I don't see many incidents like citizens running over protestors reported in Britain. Is that a 'thing' where you live OP?

You know, running over people is considered much more than illegal... it's intentionally harming people. That's how terrorist acts are conducted in Europe. It's unthinkable.
Isn't it viewed that way where you live?

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2022, 6:19 am

Deliberately running over somebody is vehicular assault, a felony with a maximum penalty of at least one year in prison.

Persephone29
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2022, 8:58 am

magz wrote:
Persephone29 wrote:

You know, running over people is considered much more than illegal... it's intentionally harming people. That's how terrorist acts are conducted in Europe. It's unthinkable.
Isn't it viewed that way where you live?

That could be, I don't know the specifics of the law. In a peaceful demonstration, if they can prove it was premeditated, it's certainly murder. It gets blurry when the protestors are violent. Then, the prosecutors must prove that a reasonable person wouldn't be afraid in the same circumstances. It behooves no one to get violent. And while I support the right to peaceful demonstration, I must admit that I can't see where that does any good anymore either. And, I might get run over by someone, intentionally or as some amplified fear response. I'll just stay home, vote and/or go to work.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

13 Nov 2022, 9:16 am

I live in a place where non-violent public protests are part of the culture, a legitimate part of the public dispute.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

Persephone29
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2022, 11:23 am

magz wrote:
I live in a place where non-violent public protests are part of the culture, a legitimate part of the public dispute.

I'm happy a place like that exists. For the most part, I think 'violence' when I think protest. And consequently I've never engaged in one. My earliest ideas of protests were formed by the footage and images of the civil rights protests in the 60's, I am for equality. Those were brave men and women, perhaps they were able to reconcile getting killed with the good it would one day eventually bring. And it did, in a different time and country. The U.S. is not that same country anymore, it's far worse. You can protest until the cows come home, even beyond the corruption, the only thing that holds power here is money. You won't succeed in pulling on someone in power's heart strings, there is no empathy among government officials. If they ever were poor, they've forgotten it. The way we fight is by racing out and buying the goods from companies that we perceive as being targeted unfairly, to help them stay afloat until the storm passes. Or, by boycotting products produced by companies that don't hold our values, forever.
Now, it's not a matter of if someone will get hurt, it's when. I live in a violent country, if it's not guns it's cars. The countryside is relatively safe, but nobody will see people holding signs in a swamp or a corn field.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2022, 11:59 am

Members of the public were beating up the protesters, the police had to tell them to stop, recently.

https://www.independent.co.uk/climate-c ... 13425.html

Otherwise it's the police beating up peaceful protesters. They seem to pick on female protesters for some reason. Never big strong male ones...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-60707646

Persephone29
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2022, 12:23 pm

KitLily wrote:
Members of the public were beating up the protesters, the police had to tell them to stop, recently.

https://www.independent.co.uk/climate-c ... 13425.html

Otherwise it's the police beating up peaceful protesters. They seem to pick on female protesters for some reason. Never big strong male ones...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-60707646

I am sorry you are having troubles along these lines. But wouldn't it be more productive if the demonstrators offered up affordable solutions along with their cause? The fact remains that diesel fuel is the cheapest, longest burning fuel in which to transport the goods we need to survive. If we do away with diesel we will very likely starve to death. I didn't watch the entire video, but I saw only people attempting to move the protestors out of the road (it's dangerous anyway). To say, "go out and buy solar powered everything or electric everything" is delusional. Only the most financially free American's can afford the electric cars in our country, the grid would never stand it if we were all on electric cars.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2022, 2:56 pm

Electric or plug-in hybrid cars are usually about $10,000 more expensive than gas-powered cars.

Even in NYC, the infrastructure for plugging in cars is still minimal. Basically, people have to have their own house with a garage in order to plug-in at home; otherwise, one has to go to a charging station. And there are still very few charging stations set up.

It costs at least $1,000 to set up a charging station in your home. And you must have your own garage, like I stated.

Especially if you don’t have your own garage, it’s not practical to “go electric” at this point. Many more charging stations would have to be established.

Persephone29
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2022, 4:24 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Electric or plug-in hybrid cars are usually about $10,000 more expensive than gas-powered cars.

Even in NYC, the infrastructure for plugging in cars is still minimal. Basically, people have to have their own house with a garage in order to plug-in at home; otherwise, one has to go to a charging station. And there are still very few charging stations set up.

It costs at least $1,000 to set up a charging station in your home. And you must have your own garage, like I stated.

Especially if you don’t have your own garage, it’s not practical to “go electric” at this point. Many more charging stations would have to be established.

My Uncle just bought a Tesla. They will still keep their gasoline vehicle, though. I'll have to remember to ask him how much his electric bill increases. Is not easy or inexpensive to go 'green.' Is it a great idea? Sure, why not!? I would if I could afford it. But, I can't. And the vast majority of people will not be able to go electric, so what happens to us? They either haven't thought this through, or they've thought it through very well. I'm not sure which scares me more.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2022, 8:43 pm

It’s easier with a Tesla….but Teslas are expensive.

My brother had one, but be sold it.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2022, 8:51 pm

I saw a news story about someone who bought an electric car and the battery died soon after.
They expected to call roadside and get a new battery for a couple hundred bucks.
It cost $20,000 for a new EV battery.
WTFFFF

https://toronto.ctvnews.ca/families-sho ... -1.6116679

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2022, 9:21 pm

I feel like the technology is still too young.