Busloads of migrants dropped off at Kamala Harris home

Page 3 of 10 [ 155 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10  Next

Persephone29
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2022, 9:32 pm

Just because the administrative branch of the government says, "come one, come all," doesn't mean the states are obliged to jump through hoops to put these people to work legally. The only places that have consistently hired undocumented workers are places who want to exploit them for cheap labor.

Neurocognitive exam in May 2019, diagnosed with ASD, Asperger's type in June 2019.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2022, 9:33 pm

Persephone29 wrote:
Pepe wrote:
Persephone29 wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
I'm curious why Abbott isn't arrested over these stunts?

Obtuse...

Texas is being OVERRUN, how can you not get this? I'm super glad you live in a world where everyone skips to mylou, there's plenty of space, food, housing for millions of people showing up in a relatively short span of time. We don't, the only way our crooked administration might help is they're forced to personally deal with what they've created.

Didn't DeSantis do the same thing?
The left of politics "skreamed blue murder" when that was done, also. :mrgreen:

NIMBY-itis (Not In My Back Yard)? 8O

I posted recently about an incident where I gave money to a refugee who was unfazed by $20. She grabbed hold of my hand and started praying for $100, in Jesus name. Now, I'm a believer in prayer and Jesus. I think $100 is not a large amount of money, especially if a group of people get together to give it. It was more than I could afford to give, all by myself, that day. I told her so, she began praying for $40. I just withdrew at that point and she accepted the $20.
This is in Florida. And it's only going to get worse. It may take a while, but eventually everyone is going to be touched in some way by the desperation of unchecked immigration, lack of jobs, lack of housing, etc... It can come fast (shipping them to government officials, where they might be considered a nuisance but it's likely they will not be shot) or where Buffalo, N.Y. is giving the go ahead to shoot looters.
Even now, Florida is trying to pass a law where anyone can conceal carry.
This was always going to end in tragedy, it's just a matter of when.
I'm always shocked at the logic of the people who think that any society is capable or willing to shoulder the burden of a large amount of invaders. The First Nations people didn't win, but they fought back.

Desperate refugees are not invaders. In all likelihood, you had had ancestors who came to America in similar desperate straights, and who were not welcome by some Americans who didn't think the promise of this country applied to immigrants.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2022, 9:37 pm

Persephone29 wrote:
I guess I should clarify "lack of jobs off the books." Even with the border wide open, there will still be 'stops' along the way. A big draw in Florida, especially in Ocala, Fl. where I grew up, are the horse farms. Hispanic workers can work (be exploited) by working for less cash and remaining hidden from the IRS. The jobs are there, but not enough to accommodate these numbers.

Many, many, many people can come. But the regular businesses will not hire them unless they have a social security number... And the off the books jobs will reach a limit.

1. The border is not wide open. It hasn't changed since the last administration, which didn't change all the much from the one before it, really - just a bunch more bluster and BS in the news more than anything.

2. Those off the books jobs are a huge part of the US economy and exist out of necessity and mutual benefit. They could be more legitimately on the books, but no matter which way you slice it, migrant workers are going to do the work so that citizens have groceries to purchase at the market, so no real sense in whining about the fact that it's happening. When the jobs, on the record or off, are filled and there's an excess of migrant labour, fewer people will come for work. There's a natural balance to things even if it's not all accounted for on some IRS tax form.

r00tb33r
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2022, 9:40 pm

Gotta thank Abbott for reminding me we actually have a VP. Forgot all about her.

Persephone29
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2022, 9:42 pm

^ which is why I said the First Nations people fought back, and well they should have.

Both sides of my family immigrated around the same time, my Dad's family a little earlier. Late 19th, early 20th centuries... through Ellis Island. My maternal great-grandfather was given a grant to open up a Diner (he was from Greece), my paternal great-greats headed for the hills of Appalachia. They became farmers and coal miners.

Neurocognitive exam in May 2019, diagnosed with ASD, Asperger's type in June 2019.

Persephone29
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2022, 9:42 pm

r00tb33r wrote:
Gotta thank Abbott for reminding me we actually have a VP. Forgot all about her.

Don't be too hard on yourself, she's entirely forgettable.

Persephone29
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2022, 9:46 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
Persephone29 wrote:
I guess I should clarify "lack of jobs off the books." Even with the border wide open, there will still be 'stops' along the way. A big draw in Florida, especially in Ocala, Fl. where I grew up, are the horse farms. Hispanic workers can work (be exploited) by working for less cash and remaining hidden from the IRS. The jobs are there, but not enough to accommodate these numbers.

Many, many, many people can come. But the regular businesses will not hire them unless they have a social security number... And the off the books jobs will reach a limit.

1. The border is not wide open. It hasn't changed since the last administration, which didn't change all the much from the one before it, really - just a bunch more bluster and BS in the news more than anything.

2. Those off the books jobs are a huge part of the US economy and exist out of necessity and mutual benefit. They could be more legitimately on the books, but no matter which way you slice it, migrant workers are going to do the work so that citizens have groceries to purchase at the market, so no real sense in whining about the fact that it's happening. When the jobs, on the record or off, are filled and there's an excess of migrant labour, fewer people will come for work. There's a natural balance to things even if it's not all accounted for on some IRS tax form.

I agree the off the books jobs are important, but everything has a limit. They can't just hand out jobs off the books when they don't need more workers. And being very small in stature is also an important requirement to work on these farms, they can also serve as jockeys to exercise the horses. A big man would not be welcome.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2022, 9:48 pm

Persephone29 wrote:
^ which is why I said the First Nations people fought back, and well they should have.

Both sides of my family immigrated around the same time, my Dad's family a little earlier. Late 19th, early 20th centuries... through Ellis Island. My maternal great-grandfather was given a grant to open up a Diner (he was from Greece), my paternal great-greats headed for the hills of Appalachia. They became farmers and coal miners.

Refugees as not killing Americans and taking our land as had been done to Native Americans. Again, a migration of desperate people looking to improve their lives aren't invaders.

Persephone29
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2022, 9:54 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
Persephone29 wrote:

Refugees as not killing Americans and taking our land as had been done to Native Americans. Again, a migration of desperate people looking to improve their lives aren't invaders.

You represent one voice, I represent another. Neither has the market cornered on popular opinion... An individual requesting admission to a country through proper channels is an immigrant, a large number of people traveling to a country who may not be prepared to handle the needs of a drastic population increase, is an invasion. You aren't being touched by it now, when you are you'll remember this conversation. Eventually you will be...

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2022, 9:56 pm

Persephone29 wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Persephone29 wrote:

You represent one voice, I represent another. Neither has the market cornered on popular opinion... An individual requesting admission to a country through proper channels is an immigrant, a large number of people traveling to a country who may not be prepared to handle the needs of a drastic population increase, is an invasion. You aren't being touched by it now, when you are you'll remember this conversation. Eventually you will be...

It still doesn't qualify as an invasion. Legal or not, they are still immigrants.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2022, 10:02 pm

I think the most important question is: Why do we have so much migration from Mexico and Central America, in the first place?

Here is info from some relevant charities:

- ASJ
- World Vision

I think it's time to take a good, hard look at whatever foreign aid the U.S. government is giving to Mexico and the Central American countries and find some good ways to make it more effective, maybe increase it if necessary, or maybe encourage their governments to make some necessary changes. Is there anything we can do to help them build better infrastructure, for example? In general I think we need to do more to help our southern neighbors, both via government foreign aid and via private charities such as the afore-mentioned.

If we don't, then these countries will likely -- sooner or later -- go looking for friends elsewhere. And we, in the U.S.A., may even end up with Chinese or Russian troops at our southern border.

Am I the only person here in the U.S.A. who worries about this obvious possibility?

Persephone29
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2022, 10:15 pm

Mona Pereth wrote:
I think the most important question is: Why do we have so much migration from Mexico and Central America, in the first place?

- ASJ
- World Vision

I think it's time to take a good, hard look at whatever foreign aid the U.S. government is giving to Mexico and the Central American countries and find some good ways to make it more effective, maybe increase it if necessary, or maybe encourage their governments to make some necessary changes. Is there anything we can do to help them build better infrastructure, for example? In general I think we need to do more to help our southern neighbors, both via government foreign aid and via private charities such as the afore-mentioned.

If we don't, then these countries will likely -- sooner or later -- go looking for friends elsewhere. And we, in the U.S.A., may even end up with Chinese or Russian troops at our southern border.

Am I the only person here in the U.S.A. who worries about this obvious possibility?

I think those are great points, I just wish I shared your optimism. I think that corruption is responsible. And I think that it has been spreading to the US for a long time. Instead of at our Southern border, I think we should be looking at the land grabs by China in places like Oklahoma.
It's already here.

Persephone29
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2022, 10:20 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
Persephone29 wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Persephone29 wrote:

It still doesn't qualify as an invasion. Legal or not, they are still immigrants.

If the resources don't hold out, you've been invaded. If everyone cannot be well fed, housed, employed, cared for, etc... you've been invaded. That's why people invade (resources). The good thing for you and I is that we'll get to watch our hypothesis play out in real time. If the resources hold, I'll concede. If they run out, you won't concede but you'll still be proven wrong. Tick Tock...

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2022, 10:22 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
Persephone29 wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Persephone29 wrote:

They're neither invaders nor immigrants.

They're refugees.. and trekking to a physical port of entry and declaring themselves as refugees seeking asylum in the USA IS the legal process they're supposed to follow. There is no online refugee application queue to register on.. they're supposed to come and make their application in person. They're doing as they're legally supposed to for this process.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2022, 10:25 pm

Mona Pereth wrote:

- ASJ
- World Vision

Two things Americans can do to slow migration North:

1. A rain dance. There's no water in some of these drought stricken regions.. no water, no food, nothing to drink = must relocate to survive.

2. Stop doing drugs that are produced in these countries, resulting in massive criminal cartels and political instability. If Americans stopped doing illicit drugs, these countries wouldn't have many of the criminal problems they have.

Persephone29
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2022, 10:38 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Persephone29 wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Persephone29 wrote:

They're neither invaders nor immigrants.

They're refugees.. and trekking to a physical port of entry and declaring themselves as refugees seeking asylum in the USA IS the legal process they're supposed to follow. There is no online refugee application queue to register on.. they're supposed to come and make their application in person. They're doing as they're legally supposed to for this process.

Legal is one perspective, feasible is another entirely. These immigrants, refugees, invaders or whatever you chose to call them are not wading into all welcoming waters. Because of the longstanding sink or swim mentality of many, the US has an enormous class disparity. There are already plenty of people here who are scarcely better off than many of these 'refugees' and are screaming (often online) about how they are being turned down for help. We hear about it here, on WP. Do you actually think these people are going to stand for a whole new herd of people coming in and having a table set for them by their government? Whether they know it or not, these regular citizen type invaders from central and south America are not safe. Just stay tuned....

* drumming fingers as I wait for all the Pollyannas to chime in about how we should all be sitting around the campfires sharing our weenies and singing Kumbaya. Are there some people that do it? Of course... There are also some very angry people who don't.