Robbie Bachman drummer Bachman-Turner Overdrive R.I.P.

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2023, 1:54 pm

Bachman–Turner Overdrive Drummer Robbie Bachman Dead at 69

Quote:
ROBBIE BACHMAN, THE drummer for Bachman–Turner Overdrive who powered the band’s biggest hits including “You Ain’t Seen Nothing Yet” and “Takin’ Care of Business,” has died. He was 69.

Randy Bachman, the drummer’s brother and bandmate, confirmed the news on Twitter Thursday night. “Another sad departure,” he wrote. “The pounding beat behind BTO, my little brother Robbie has joined Mum, Dad & brother Gary on the other side. Maybe Jeff Beck needs a drummer! He was an integral cog in our rock ‘n’ roll machine and we rocked the world together.” Further details surrounding Robbie’s death have not yet been revealed.

Robbie and Randy began playing music together as kids while growing up in Winnipeg, Canada. Eventually, guitarist Randy asked Robbie to become the drummer for his band Brave Belt, which he had formed with musician Chad Allan, Randy Bachman’s former bandmate in the Guess Who. Together, the band recorded two albums released in the early Seventies before eventually adding middle brother Tim Bachman on rhythm guitar and bassist C. Fred Turner, and changing their name to Bachman–Turner Overdrive.

While their first self-titled album as Bachman–Turner Overdrive in 1973 wasn’t a huge hit upon release – though it did boast the gem “Hold Back the Water,” featuring a rare co-writing credit for Robbie – they quickly found their real success with their second album later that same year. The LP, Bachman-Turner Overdrive II, featured their most famous song, “Takin’ Care of Business,” as well as the hit “Let It Ride.” Not Fragile followed in 1974, and with it another hit, “You Ain’t Seen Nothing Yet.”

In 2014, Bachman–Turner Overdrive were inducted into the Canadian Music Hall of Fame.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Last edited by ASPartOfMe on 15 Jan 2023, 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2023, 2:00 pm

Sucks. Hopefully he went out peacefully.

Pretttyy sure I've met Randy Bachman before in a bar I used to work at but not 100% sure. He lives somewhere over in White Rock/Crescent Beach area about a 25min drive from me in some big mansion in the woods near the beach.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2023, 8:04 am

I believe Randy Bachman was a non-drinking Mormon. He left the Guess Who because he wasn’t the partying type. There is indication that he's not a Mormon any longer.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2023, 2:14 pm

It was not Randy Bachman who died, it was Robbie Bachman.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2023, 2:42 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
It was not Randy Bachman who died, it was Robbie Bachman.

Cool story. No one said he died. I said I think I may have met him before, and I know he lives not far from me. He was the big household name, not his brother. Never heard of his brother, really. Probably heard his recorded music, but it's Randy who has the fame.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2023, 3:06 pm

I mentioned Randy because Goldfish mentioned Randy.

Forgive me for the divergence…..

Randy certainly loved his brother Robbie, and they were bandmates for years.

Recidivist
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2023, 3:47 pm

R.I.P B-b-b-baby :(