Spherules determined to be interstellar

Page 1 of 4 [ 56 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2023, 11:01 pm

Prof Avi Loeb demonstrates spherules collected from the Pacific ocean are indeed interstellar in origin

This is the first time humans have held onto objects from outside the solar system

Next step Loeb is determining is if these are gadgets or artificial in origin. On the precipice of big news.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2023, 3:45 am

ANOTHER sensationalist claim? :roll:

Has any other scientist confirmed his 'findings', or is he just desperate for money and attention?

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2023, 4:39 am

Fnord wrote:
ANOTHER sensationalist claim? :roll:

Has any other scientist confirmed his 'findings', or is he just desperate for money and attention?

That's a summary of an article I read about this.

But it is Possible they are technological. Improbable, not proven, but still a possibility.

The chances there's no alien life is approaching zero, so, eventually some human is going to be correct about finding signs of it. Could be this guy. Could be this time.. could be some other time in the future. Or someone else a long time from now - besides apparently the US gov't releasing info recently saying something about aliens being real.

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2023, 5:29 am

Just because someone is a doctor, doesn't mean that they don't have strange or wrong beliefs about some things.

Having said that, I am open to the possibility to there being extraterrestrial life. It seems probable, rather than improbable.

Although alien life currently visiting Earth is another topic entirely.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2023, 6:18 am

To take a flying leap from "Infinitesimal Possibility" to "Absolute Certainty" takes either (1) a lot of research by qualified people, or (2) the audacity to make unfounded claims based on suspicion and fantasy.

There may be other flying leaps that Prof. Loeb could make, but I will not detail them here.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2023, 8:42 am

Professor Loeb was mercilessly ridiculed by his colleagues for stating that the object entering the earth's atmosphere in 2014 and landing in the Pacific off the coast of PNG was of interstellar origin because it was measured to be moving too fast.

His claim was subsequently scientifically verified
https://lweb.cfa.harvard.edu/~loeb/DoD.pdf

he has also made similar claims about the nature of other interstellar objects that have entered our solar system
https://earthsky.org/human-world/inters ... -avi-loeb/

Please don't be so quick to debunk his theories without counter-evidence

uncommondenominator
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2023, 10:43 am

cyberdad wrote:
Professor Loeb was mercilessly ridiculed by his colleagues for stating that the object entering the earth's atmosphere in 2014 and landing in the Pacific off the coast of PNG was of interstellar origin because it was measured to be moving too fast.

His claim was subsequently scientifically verified
https://lweb.cfa.harvard.edu/~loeb/DoD.pdf

he has also made similar claims about the nature of other interstellar objects that have entered our solar system
https://earthsky.org/human-world/inters ... -avi-loeb/

Please don't be so quick to debunk his theories without counter-evidence

Counter-evidence implies the existence of evidence.

While it was nice of you to provide links to your second and third claims above, I can't help but notice the lack of a supporting link for the first claim. And that's the important one, really - although the second one sure makes for good optics in his favor.

Lacking provided evidence, I had to go looking for some on my own. And while I could find no instances of him being mocked for invoking the word "interstellar", I did find numerous instances of him being mocked for invoking the word "aliens".

As for things moving "too fast", iirc that was one of the justification he used to claim that his interstellar object was "alien technology". And again, in that article, it was his use of "alien" that received derision, not he use of the word "interstellar".

Now, scientifically speaking, the existence of interstellar objects is scientifically supported on some level, even if we've never seen one pass by us. We know space rocks exist. We know things outside our solar system exist. Space is really big, and even planets can become difficult to see at such ranges, to say nothing of asteroids even further away, especially if they're neither reflecting nor radiating. The idea that a rock *could* be floating out there, is not outlandish.

There is no reason to think space rocks can't float around in interstellar space, even if we can't see them, and there's valid reasons for not being able to see them. However, to my knowledge, there is no similar evidence to support the existence of "aliens" the same way there's evidence supporting the existence of space rocks or interstellar space - evidence like "math", not "claims" or "wishing"- to then somehow logically conclude that the interstellar strange weird or peculiar thing even could be, let alone must be, "alien technology", rather than simply "a strange rock".

In general, his science seems to be reasonably well accepted - right up until he goes "therefore, aliens!" That's when the scoffing seems to happen. If there's evidence of him being scoffed at for a claim other than "aliens", it would be useful if it were provided.

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2023, 12:18 pm

I don't see the hysteria over these little spheres.

It has been suggested that Pluto is a captured planet due to its odd orbit and I imagine a lot of asteroids and comets make flying visits without us even noticing them.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2023, 10:02 pm

uncommondenominator wrote:

Counter-evidence implies the existence of evidence.

While it was nice of you to provide links to your second and third claims above, I can't help but notice the lack of a supporting link for the first claim. And that's the important one, really - although the second one sure makes for good optics in his favor.

Lacking provided evidence, I had to go looking for some on my own. And while I could find no instances of him being mocked for invoking the word "interstellar", I did find numerous instances of him being mocked for invoking the word "aliens".

As for things moving "too fast", iirc that was one of the justification he used to claim that his interstellar object was "alien technology". And again, in that article, it was his use of "alien" that received derision, not he use of the word "interstellar".

Now, scientifically speaking, the existence of interstellar objects is scientifically supported on some level, even if we've never seen one pass by us. We know space rocks exist. We know things outside our solar system exist. Space is really big, and even planets can become difficult to see at such ranges, to say nothing of asteroids even further away, especially if they're neither reflecting nor radiating. The idea that a rock *could* be floating out there, is not outlandish.

There is no reason to think space rocks can't float around in interstellar space, even if we can't see them, and there's valid reasons for not being able to see them. However, to my knowledge, there is no similar evidence to support the existence of "aliens" the same way there's evidence supporting the existence of space rocks or interstellar space - evidence like "math", not "claims" or "wishing"- to then somehow logically conclude that the interstellar strange weird or peculiar thing even could be, let alone must be, "alien technology", rather than simply "a strange rock".

In general, his science seems to be reasonably well accepted - right up until he goes "therefore, aliens!" That's when the scoffing seems to happen. If there's evidence of him being scoffed at for a claim other than "aliens", it would be useful if it were provided.

I think this is reasonable (and yes) counter-arguments imply evidence exists which (even Loeb admits) it does not.
However, he has been criticized by his colleagues in Harvard (I saw a video of a fellow professor who said he was giving his department a bad name) for simply opening the possibility of an alien origin of interstellar material. This is (ironically) not the first time a prominent Harvard professor was taken to task by his colleagues over mentioning the word "alien" but subsequently declared inappropriate as it was deemed as attacking the autonomy of an academic to be allowed to investigate (which is literally what they are paid to do by the taxpayer)
https://www.washingtonpost.com/archive/ ... ae401963e/

Embarrassingly Harvard academics have not learned their lesson from Prof John Mack. I have said before the very same people who spend a disproportionate amount of time trying to debunk aliens will be the first to claim it was their "duty" as scientists to scrutinise claims when this turns out to be a real phenomena. The problem is claiming that something is debunked before the data is examined is (according to Loeb) not following the very scientific method these skeptics claim to adhere to which is to exhaust all possible explanations.

I realise you won't want to jump into this rabbit hole but if you are curious examine Project Blue book and the Condon report published in 1969 by university academics commissioned by the US airforce. Their report is now agreed to be a "hit job" meant to discredit all legitimate investigation into anomalous aerial objects. Prof John Allen Hynek who was head scientist of Project Blue book admitted as much once the project was shelved. All of this is in the public domain so there is a certain surprise when the US navy has since 2017 admitted these UAPs are real. Many thousands of people have been forced to endure years of ridicule despite the army, navy and airforce holding data that always supported the anomalous nature of this phenomena

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2023, 10:15 pm

Nades wrote:
It has been suggested that Pluto is a captured planet due to its odd orbit and I imagine a lot of asteroids and comets make flying visits without us even noticing them.

Loeb does say there may be as much as trillions of interstellar objects caught in our solar system. Regarding the 2014 object, this was tracked to the pacific ocean by NASA and they (NASA) confirmed the object was not only interstellar in origin but the composition of the material was significantly harder than all known objects known to be hurtling around our solar system.

Loeb is now planning to use the rest of his funds to go back and search for larger fragments as his current hypothesis based on materials examination of the spherules is they are possibly an alloy (microscopic examination of the samples will confirm an artifical origin of the material although counter-claims will then ask him to prove the alloy is not made in earth (this will be unlikely as the spherules have already been found to extremely high abundances of Beryllium, Lanthanum and Uranium, labeled as a never-seen-before “BeLaU” composition. These spherules also exhibit iron isotope ratios unlike those found on Earth, the Moon and Mars, altogether implying an interstellar origin.
https://projects.iq.harvard.edu/galileo ... omposition

uncommondenominator
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2023, 11:44 pm

While it was nice of you to provide a link to your secondary point of an entirely different person having been professionally attacked, I can't help but notice the continuing absence of a link demonstrating that Loeb is being subjected to said or similar treatment.

I equally appreciate the convenient assumption that I won't want to investigate a phenomenon that I do not dispute exists (Socrates says "hi", and John Yudkin sends his regards), and am merely attempting to verify that this is what is actually occurring in this particular case.

Just cos he claims, or someone else claims on his behalf, that he's being undermined as a scientist, doesn't mean one should believe the claim, any more than any other claim should be believed, without evidence.

Harvard prohibiting someone from doing research is not the same thing as a colleague having an opinion of another colleague. And again, unlike John Mack, who's research was undermined entirely, nobody seems to have an issue with Loeb's science until he gets to the "therefore, aliens!" part. Additionally, given the fact that he's still doing science stuff, nobody seems to be preventing him from doing his science stuff. At worst, they seem to roll their eyes at the "therefore, aliens!" part.

Side note - alloys quite commonly occur naturally. While a new alloy may be a neat discovery, there's no reason to believe it's alien tech, as opposed to an interesting byproduct of a very old very distant supernova finally making it's way to our little corner of the boonies.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2023, 7:18 am

nobody seems to have an issue with Loeb's science until he gets to the "therefore, aliens!" part. Additionally, given the fact that he's still doing science stuff, nobody seems to be preventing him from doing his science stuff. At worst, they seem to roll their eyes at the "therefore, aliens!" part..

And this is precisely the part Loeb (and the late Prof John Mack) state that one has to keep an open mind to the possibility of "aliens". The Fermi paradox provides a convenient excuse to "roll one's eyes" if aliens are mentioned as a possible reason (for the Alien abduction phenomena or the topic of this thread, an interstellar artificial origin for some materials entering our solar system).

The statistical probability humans are the only intelligent life in the entire universe is nearly zero. Just because we humans can't yet master travelling across space/time/dimensions is hardly a ringing endorsement that no other entity exists or could reach us. As I said, these same scientists who arrogantly scoff will be the first to jump to the front of the line to declare they knew it all along when the existence of intelligent alien life is demonstrated.

uncommondenominator
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2023, 8:45 pm

cyberdad wrote:
nobody seems to have an issue with Loeb's science until he gets to the "therefore, aliens!" part. Additionally, given the fact that he's still doing science stuff, nobody seems to be preventing him from doing his science stuff. At worst, they seem to roll their eyes at the "therefore, aliens!" part..

And this is precisely the part Loeb (and the late Prof John Mack) state that one has to keep an open mind to the possibility of "aliens". The Fermi paradox provides a convenient excuse to "roll one's eyes" if aliens are mentioned as a possible reason (for the Alien abduction phenomena or the topic of this thread, an interstellar artificial origin for some materials entering our solar system).

The statistical probability humans are the only intelligent life in the entire universe is nearly zero. Just because we humans can't yet master travelling across space/time/dimensions is hardly a ringing endorsement that no other entity exists or could reach us. As I said, these same scientists who arrogantly scoff will be the first to jump to the front of the line to declare they knew it all along when the existence of intelligent alien life is demonstrated.

I can't help but notice the entire absence of any further evidence whatsoever, having been replaced with appeals.

I hear the same "open mind" argument from everyone who has a claim, but no evidence. They want you to swallow their idea, but there's nothing to bite into.

Who said anything about the fermi paradox? I find it has it's own set of flaws and assumptions.

In the absence of evidence, imagination often takes flight. And nobody likes having their daydream scoffed at. Doesn't make it any less of a daydream though.

And again, cos apparently it never gets old...

"It's interstellar!" Cool. There's math to back that up, and we've observed objects that exist outside of our solar system. Our sun isn't capable of producing many of the heavier elements present on earth, yet those elements exist. We do know that other suns are capable of both producing them, and ejecting them, validated via spectrography. These elements can then travel thru (interstellar) space where they end up in the solar system, among other places, of course. The concept that things can exist in interstellar space and make their way to earth does not conjure ideas out of thin air.

"It's an alloy we've never seen before!" Cool. CERN experiments have demonstrated several properties and abilities of matter we didn't know were possible, and has even created new elements. We know interesting things can happen in suns much bigger and older and hotter than ours via spectography and deep space imaging, and that these suns can likely do way more interesting things than even CERN can do. The idea that a new alloy based on known elements can exist in nature is not simply pulled out of a hat.

"Therefore, Aliens!" Yeah... Based on what now? Which existing, or proof of, alien life are we using as the basis for this? Just cos something is strange new or weird doesn't mean it's artificial in origin.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2023, 2:42 am

Dr Loeb breaks down how aliens could use dark matter to travel? Holy crap! He has no idea how aliens travel. Asking a human about alien propulsion systems is like asking an ancient sumerian which type of ram is compatible with my mainboard.

He spends half the video saying how people who disagree with him "just have opinions", as if his ideas aren't opinions. Someone who debates properly would pick apart the counterarguments made by his detractors. He doesn't even mention the points made by his detractors, he just says "those are just opinions, and we are doing the real science".

A real scientist would be happy to be proven wrong because knowing a hypothesis is wrong (even his own) gets him one step closer to the truth. How can we trust Dr Loeb to be objective when he has a personal attachment to his ideas?

Maybe this object really did come from outside the solar system. But aliens? Where is his evidence these spherules were manufactured? How does he know it's not just a rogue asteroid? Too fast to be an asteroid? Where is his evidence that interstellar rogue asteroids can never travel faster than a certain speed?

And saying, "We wrote a scientific paper and submitted it for publication" is about as dumb as a creationist saying, "I wrote a peer reviewed paper" (without mentioning whether or not it passed peer review). Just because Dr Loeb submits something for publication in a scientific journal that doesn't mean it will be published and it does end up getting published, that still wouldn't prove he's right.

The chance to analyse an object from another solar system would be of scientific interest even if it was of natural origin. He doesn't need to start mentioning aliens. And then he starts talking about how the aliens may use artificial intelligence because that's a trendy topic right now. If he was talking in the 1930s, he might talk about how aliens use pneumatics because that considered to be a pretty trendy technology at the time.

And that other guy who says "Yes" when asked what form the alien intelligence will take. "But I can't tell you". He reminds me of the kid on the playground who says, "I can do a backflip, but I don't wanna".

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2023, 2:45 am

"Therefore, Aliens!" Yeah... Based on what now? Which existing, or proof of, alien life are we using as the basis for this? Just cos something is strange new or weird doesn't mean it's artificial in origin.

A curious mind triangulates separate data points (rather than treat each incident in isolation or in silo)
Your own government admits (at least since 2017) that they don't know the origin/source of anomalous objects flying around military/naval/nuclear installations observed on radar, visually verified by highly competent witnesses and detected on IR sensors.

Everybody in the US government has admitted the technology demonstrated by these UAPs defies known laws of physics. If it's not American, Russian or Chinese then it leaves very few other options.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2023, 2:53 am

RetroGamer87 wrote:
Dr Loeb breaks down how aliens could use dark matter to travel? Holy crap! He has no idea how aliens travel. Asking a human about alien propulsion systems is like asking an ancient sumerian which type of ram is compatible with my mainboard.

He spends half the video saying how people who disagree with him "just have opinions", as if his ideas aren't opinions. Someone who debates properly would pick apart the counterarguments made by his detractors. He doesn't even mention the points made by his detractors, he just says "those are just opinions, and we are doing the real science".

A real scientist would be happy to be proven wrong because knowing a hypothesis is wrong (even his own) gets him one step closer to the truth. How can we trust Dr Loeb to be objective when he has a personal attachment to his ideas?

Maybe this object really did come from outside the solar system. But aliens? Where is his evidence these spherules were manufactured? How does he know it's not just a rogue asteroid? Too fast to be an asteroid? Where is his evidence that interstellar rogue asteroids can never travel faster than a certain speed?

And saying, "We wrote a scientific paper and submitted it for publication" is about as dumb as a creationist saying, "I wrote a peer reviewed paper" (without mentioning whether or not it passed peer review). Just because Dr Loeb submits something for publication in a scientific journal that doesn't mean it will be published and it does end up getting published, that still wouldn't prove he's right.

The chance to analyse an object from another solar system would be of scientific interest even if it was of natural origin. He doesn't need to start mentioning aliens. And then he starts talking about how the aliens may use artificial intelligence because that's a trendy topic right now. If he was talking in the 1930s, he might talk about how aliens use pneumatics because that considered to be a pretty trendy technology at the time.

And that other guy who says "Yes" when asked what form the alien intelligence will take. "But I can't tell you". He reminds me of the kid on the playground who says, "I can do a backflip, but I don't wanna".

I think all his papers under review are open to public scrutiny
https://lweb.cfa.harvard.edu/~loeb/LK1.pdf

I agree with Loeb, let the evidence speak for itself, His detractors jumped the gun because they didn't actually a) make any attempt to debate his hypothesis b) made assumptions about materials he found before testing was actually done.

This smacks of the good old days when scientists would scoff at UFOs and claim they were birds, swamp gas or stars (back in the days before satellites and drones). In those days scientists chose not to examine the witness accounts, In 2023 they choose to ignore actual evidence presented not just by witnesses but also by the US government themselves.

In the case of the interstellar object oumuamua, Loeb has been correct on every step while his detractors tripped over themselves making spurious claims the object was a comet or even moving gas :lol: