Page 3 of 25 [ 388 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 25  Next

Jono
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2023, 3:15 am

Mona Pereth wrote:
All of this is very disturbing. However....

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Quote:
In response to these incidents, efforts to combat antisemitism on campus have been actively undertaken by organizations and student groups. Initiatives led by the Diaspora Affairs Ministry, in collaboration with Mosaic, Hillel, and Chabad, "have successfully thwarted numerous BDS (Boycott, Divestment, Sanctions) events on campuses," according to an official statement.

<SIGH!! ! !>

Equating Judeophobia with anti-Zionism again, and using the former as an excuse to shut down the latter.

It might be reasonable to insist that anti-Zionist event organizers take more responsibility for discouraging hatred of Jews as people. However, students should have the right to organize events criticizing, even strongly criticizing, any government in the world.

Yes, we should be allowed to criticise any government that we want. However, anti-Zionism has often been used as a cover for anti-semitism, even if they're not the same thing. I've seen it.

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2023, 6:36 am

At least somebody has done their homework.

What are the safest countries for Jews? (Reddit)

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2023, 9:15 am

Jono wrote:
Yes, we should be allowed to criticise any government that we want. However, anti-Zionism has often been used as a cover for anti-semitism, even if they're not the same thing. I've seen it.

Yes, indeed anti-Zionism can be used as cover for Judeophobia.

I've run into people who, for example, attribute the U.S.A.'s support for Israel to a Protocols-like conspiracy of wealthy Jews, or who claim that the U.S.A. is not just closely allied with but somehow subordinate to Israel.

I usually respond to such claims by pointing out that there were plenty of American evangelical Christian Zionists long before Zionism became popular among Jews. Yes, wealthy Jewish Zionist lobbyists do exist, but they are far from the sole reason for the U.S.A.'s support for Israel.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2023, 8:15 am

FBI director: Antisemitism reaching ‘historic level’ in US

Quote:
FBI Director Christopher Wray said Tuesday that antisemitism is reaching “historic levels” in the United States.

“This is a threat that is reaching, in some way, sort of historic levels,” Wray said during a Senate hearing Tuesday. The FBI director said that was in part because “the Jewish community is targeted by terrorists really across the spectrum” including homegrown violent extremists, foreign terrorist organizations, and domestic violent extremists.

“In fact, our statistics would indicate that for a group that represents only about 2.4% of the American public, they account for something like 60% of all religious-based hate crimes,” Wray said of the Jewish American population.

Wray said that the FBI is tackling the rise in antisemitism through a series of law enforcement efforts including joint terrorism task forces, hate crime investigations, and intelligence sharing.

“This is not a time for panic, but it is a time for vigilance,” Wray said addressing public fear over the rise in hate crimes. “We shouldn’t stop conducting our daily lives – going to schools, houses of worship, and so forth – but we should be vigilant.”

Who is Patrick Dai, Cornell student accused of threatening Jewish peers?
Quote:
The Cornell University student accused of making violent threats against his Jewish peers is a 21-year-old engineering student who suffers from such “severe depression” that his mother worried he was on the brink of suicide just moments before his arrest.

Patrick Dai, a junior at the prestigious university, was arrested by federal authorities Tuesday for allegedly making a string of disturbing online posts over the weekend threatening to kill and rape Jewish students and to “bring an assault rifle to campus.”

Investigators traced the deranged posts to Dai’s IP address at his off-campus apartment, where he allegedly admitted to being the culprit, according to a federal complaint obtained by NBC News.

Dai’s parents, however, believe their son is innocent.

“My son is in severe depression. He cannot control his emotion well due to the depression. No, I don’t think he committed the crime,” his father, who asked that his name not be used, told The Post in a text message.

Dai sank into a deep depression in 2021, one year after he started his engineering studies at the prestigious university, his parents said.

He entered the school as one of five National Merit Scholars named at Pittsford-Mendon High School and as a 12-time AP Scholar who also logged time volunteering at Rochester General Hospital.

At Cornell, Dai worked as an undergraduate consultant helping to tutor other engineering students with MATLAB, a computer programming language, and as the director of logistics for the school’s Science Olympiad.

Dai also worked as an orientation leader and was promoted to supervisor after just two months on the job, according to his LinkedIn.

Dai underwent a dramatic change after just one year, his parents said — though they adamantly emphasized that he never had a history of violence.

“He was always very nice to society, well organized, helpful to my family and his classmates before 2021,” his father said.

“He told us he lost his life goal and motivation … As parents, we tried to give him more love.”

At the suggestion of a doctor, Dai took off two semesters from his studies — in the spring of 2022 and 2023 — to try to recuperate, but struggled to regain his ambition.

Dai’s communications with his parents went dark just days before his arrest, around the time he allegedly posted the unhinged threats to “shoot up 104 West,” a university dining hall that caters predominantly to kosher diets, and to “slit the throat” of any Jewish men he came across.

Dai is charged with posting threats to kill or injure another using interstate communications — which could land him in jail for up to five years as well as a $250,000 fine.

It is not clear whether he has retained an attorney.

Dai is scheduled to appear in federal court on Wednesday.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2023, 4:44 pm

Things are getting tense on the streets of New York

A lot of cursing

https://x.com/dansenor/status/171950601 ... 5DGNqpjUrs

A lot of reports of people ripping down posters of kidnapped children. This is the second incident I have posted where people got in the face people doing that in New York City. Children are not colonizers. Othering on steroids. Obviously I would feel the same about people ripping down posters of Palestinian children killed by Israeli bombs. As far as I know nobody has put up posters of killed Palestinians.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2023, 5:55 pm

That is horrible.I don’t understand what’s wrong with people.
Who rips down a picture of any missing child or person?

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2023, 6:28 pm

Both groups are getting blow back. Muslims and Jews. You see Islamaphobic graffitti in the US about "you wanna meet Allah? We will give you your wish".

But Jews seem to be getting it worse right now.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2023, 6:51 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
Both groups are getting blow back. Muslims and Jews. You see Islamaphobic graffitti in the US about "you wanna meet Allah? We will give you your wish".

It's funny, because there seems to be three motives generating hate right now.

There's people who's sympathy for either Israelis or Palestinians drives hate for either Muslims or Jews as though Muslims or Jews are collectively to blame for what the people they sympathize with are experiencing.

The third motive seems to be collective blame towards both groups driven by fear of being drawn into the conflict, or disgust over the violence without any empathy for those experiencing it.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2023, 7:03 pm

naturalplastic wrote:

I requested the mods change the title of this thread not only because of Islamophobia but because besides Israel and Hamas Hezbollah, Syria, Yemen, and the United States have fired weapons in anger.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2023, 2:55 am

More than 60 Stars of Davids were painted on the walls of Jewish homes and businesses across France in a Kristallnacht-style attack as tensions over the Israel-Hamas war continue

Quote:
Dozens of Stars of David have been painted on the walls of Jewish homes and businesses across Paris in a "despicable and intolerable Kristallnacht-style attack linked to the Israel-Hamas War.

Police in the French capital say the 60 anti-Semitic messages appeared in the early hours of this morning. The chilling attacks resemble those left on Jewish properties on Kristallnacht – the Night of Broken Glass – in Nazi Germany in November 1938 by paramilitaries marking out buildings which were later attacked in a prelude to the Holocaust. Carine Petit, Mayor of the 14th arrondissement, said they were ‘intolerable acts’ which cause ‘shame, and disgust’ across France

This morning police in Paris opened fire on a woman who allegedly made threatening remarks and shouted "Allahu akbar" on a train. It is the latest security incident in the country that has been on heightened anti-terror alert since a fatal stabbing at a school, which was blamed on an Islamic extremist . Police said officers opened fire after the 38-year-old woman didn't respond to their warnings on the service near Bibliothèque François-Mitterrand station. It is believed she has stomach wounds.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2023, 9:59 am

Cornell cancels classes due to 'extraordinary stress' after arrest over antisemitic threats

Quote:
Cornell University has canceled Friday classes due to “extraordinary stress” amid a junior being federally charged with making antisemitic threats.

Instead, Friday will serve as a “community day,” Provost Michael Kotlikoff and Christine Lovely, the vice president and chief human resources officer, said in an email to students and staff, school paper the Cornell Sun reported.

“No classes will be held, and faculty and staff will be excused from work, except for employees who provide essential services,” the email said.

“We hope that everyone will use this restorative time to take care of yourselves and reflect on how we can nurture the kind of caring, mutually supportive community that we all value,” the email continued.

On Tuesday, Patrick Dai, a 21-year-old junior at the Ivy League school, was charged with posting threats to kill or injure another using interstate communications, federal prosecutors in the Northern District of New York said.

He appeared in federal court Wednesday but did not enter a plea. He was assigned a federal public defender during the initial court appearance and a preliminary hearing was scheduled for Nov. 15.

Adding to the heightened tensions on campus, university police on Wednesday received a report of a male subject displaying a pistol on campus. A search was conducted and police said the report was “unfounded.” University President Martha E. Pollack also said in a statement Wednesday that the crime alert was unsubstantiated, but “it adds to the stress we are all feeling.”

SMH
Wrong message to send to everybody.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2023, 2:57 pm

Readydaer wrote:
people forget that Israel from the beginning should never have been there.

By that logic the USA shouldn't exist either.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2023, 3:02 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:

I requested the mods change the title of this thread not only because of Islamophobia but because besides Israel and Hamas Hezbollah, Syria, Yemen, and the United States have fired weapons in anger.[/quote]

Antisemitism has been extremely prevalent in even moderate muslim majority countries for decades now. The terror attack that has forced this protracted war was designed to not only push oil prices up for the west, it was primarily designed to stoke latent antisemitism in the middle east so Israel has no more friends.
https://www.reuters.com/world/middle-ea ... 023-01-05/

I am beginning to see how strategically successful this act has been for Iran and it's network of international islamic terrorism.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2023, 10:12 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Things are getting tense on the streets of New York

A lot of cursing

https://x.com/dansenor/status/171950601 ... 5DGNqpjUrs

A lot of reports of people ripping down posters of kidnapped children. This is the second incident I have posted where people got in the face people doing that in New York City. Children are not colonizers. Othering on steroids. Obviously I would feel the same about people ripping down posters of Palestinian children killed by Israeli bombs. As far as I know nobody has put up posters of killed Palestinians.

Or if they did, perhaps the latter posters got ripped down even faster, before anyone had a chance to cover them in the news. That's what I suspect might happen if anyone were to put up such posters, at least in some neighborhoods, although this would probably vary a lot from one neighborhood to another.

One key detail that none of these news stories mention is that putting up posters on light poles is at least technically illegal. See Posting and Graffiti Laws on the NYC website. On the other hand, there's no law against tearing down posters from light poles. So, regardless of how anyone feels about these posters, the law is (at least technically) on the side of the people tearing the posters down, not on the side of the people putting them up.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2023, 7:15 am

None of what I said above is intended to excuse the hatred, which does indeed seem to growing.

My boyfriend (a non-observant Jew who also has a speech impairment that often gets mistaken for a foreign accent, and who also has a beard) has experienced a general increase in rudeness and assholiness just about everywhere he has gone lately, except in our immediate neighborhood.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2023, 5:58 pm

Woman arrested after driving car into Indianapolis building she thought was `Israel school'

Quote:
A woman who allegedly drove her car into a building in Indianapolis after watching coverage of the Israel-Hamas war told officers she believed the building was an “Israel school,” according to police and court records.

One adult as well as four children — ages 7 months, 1, 2 and 3 years — were inside the Israelite School of Universal and Practical Knowledge at the time of late Friday's crash, but no one was injured, police said.

The 34-year-old woman was arrested at the scene and was being held Monday at the Marion County Jail on a preliminary charge of criminal recklessness in Friday's crash. She had not been formally charged as of Monday afternoon, said Michael Leffler, a spokesperson for the Marion County Prosecutor's Office.

The woman “told one officer she has been watching the news and couldn’t breathe anymore. She referenced her people back in Palestine,” according to a news release from the Indianapolis Metropolitan Police Department, which said it had notified the FBI of the crash.

"She said she passed by a couple times and saw the `Israel school,”' the release states, adding that the woman further stated, “Yes. I did it on purpose.”

The building is in fact associated with Radical Hebrew Israelites, a group the Southern Poverty Law Center has designated a “hate group,” noting its ideology has become increasingly antisemitic, anti-white, anti-LGBTQ, xenophobic and misogynistic since the 1960s, The Indianapolis Star reported.

The woman told police she had been watching TV news coverage of the Israel-Hamas war that began with the surprise Oct. 7 Hamas attack on Israel and decided to plan an attack by crashing into the building, according to a probable cause affidavit for her arrest, The Star reported.

After the crash, the woman's car had damage to its rear-end and she admitted to crashing into the building on purpose while speaking with her sister during her courtesy phone call following her arrest, according to the affidavit.

Captain Chaapash Yahawadah, who said he is the leader of the Indianapolis school, said the building's foundation suffered significant damage when it was struck by the suspect’s car. He told The Associated Press the school was hosting a class and school-related functions at the time and that the crash left the people who were inside stunned and traumatized.