Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2023, 9:21 pm

Henry Kissinger, former secretary of state whose complicated legacy shaped decades of U.S. policy, dies at 100

Quote:
Henry Kissinger, the toweringly influential former secretary of state who earned a reputation as a sagacious diplomat but drew international condemnation and accusations of war crimes for his key role in widening the American presence in Vietnam and the U.S. bombing of Cambodia, died Wednesday.

Kissinger, a Jewish refugee from Nazi Germany, reached the pinnacle of the American political establishment and in turn became an unlikely household name. He was secretary of state and national security adviser under two Republican presidents, Richard Nixon and Gerald Ford, and advised powerful leaders in both American political parties for decades.

He came to be seen as one of the leading diplomats and international relations intellectuals of the 20th century, an exponent of “realpolitik” who orchestrated the normalization of relations with China and helped ease tensions between the U.S. and the Soviet Union.

Kissinger won the Nobel Peace Prize for negotiating the settlement that ended the Vietnam War, jointly receiving the award with Le Duc Tho of North Vietnam, who refused the honor. Kissinger helped open diplomatic relations between the U.S. and China during the Nixon administration in the early 1970s.

But he was also one of the most singularly reviled public figures of his age, one whose legacy is inextricably bound up with bloodshed around the world. In the eyes of his critics, he was synonymous with the brutality of American power and some of the costliest foreign policy decisions in modern history.

Kissinger’s detractors denounced him for the central part he played in expanding U.S. military involvement in Vietnam, bringing a wide-scale bombing campaign to Cambodia and supporting brutal regimes in Argentina, Chile, Indonesia and Pakistan. Kissinger’s most vociferous opponents labeled him a war criminal, and some called on him to face charges at the Hague.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2023, 10:49 pm

He was a very intelligent man, but one who didn't always have a moral compass. Still, he will be much more than a footnote in history.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2023, 4:07 am

But seriously, it's a real shame this piece of s**t never faced justice.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2023, 5:12 am

Ah Henry Kissinger, a lot of conspiracy theories are associated with him.

One conspiracy theory circulated among Lebanese Christians in the 70s, that he asked the Patriarch to cooperated with “a plan to empty the country of its Christians, and send them by sea outside Lebanon” but the Patriach refused, it is also believed he is behind the PLO's shift of goals in attempting to take the Lebanese Christian's areas as an alternative homeland - I have found no evidence on that tho.

it is believed that he a proponent of using excess of power in foreign affairs, such as carpet bombing the enemies. Outside the the US, he didn't have a very nice reputation.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2023, 10:06 am

I thought he died years ago.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2023, 10:35 am

Off Topic
What I can say will just be another repeat of what already been said so a personal antidote.
It was 1972 and my mom was driving somewhere when whatever was playing on the radio was interrupted by the now infamous “Peace is at hand” news conference. I was confused as to why this German was being given all this airtime and why he was talking about the Vietnam War. Within a year he would be ubiquitous but not that day.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2023, 11:55 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Off Topic
What I can say will just be another repeat of what already been said so a personal antidote.
It was 1972 and my mom was driving somewhere when whatever was playing on the radio was interrupted by the now infamous “Peace is at hand” news conference. I was confused as to why this German was being given all this airtime and why he was talking about the Vietnam War. Within a year he would be ubiquitous but not that day.

This is not an "antidote". It's an "anectdote".

An "antidote" is a medical treatment you take to counter being poisoned.

A funny one off story is an "anectdote".

MatchboxVagabond
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2023, 1:07 pm

Misslizard wrote:
I thought he died years ago.

I'm all fairness, this was roughly 100 years later than it should have been. The man is almost the worst in recent memory.

roronoa79
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2023, 2:07 pm

It's days like these I wish I was religious.

So I could take comfort in knowing the man is burning in Hell and being flayed by demons. His millions of victims can watch and laugh.

Δυνατὰ δὲ οἱ προύχοντες πράσσουσι καὶ οἱ ἀσθενεῖς ξυγχωροῦσιν.
Those with power do what their power permits, and the weak can only acquiesce.

- Thucydides

honeytoast
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2023, 4:05 pm

And nothing of value was lost.

~~~~

believe in the broken clock and who's side will time be on?

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2023, 10:54 pm

RIP