Autistic visibly Jewish student has swastika carved in back

Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2023, 8:11 am

FBI launches hate crime investigation after a swastika was carved into the back of a Jewish teen with autism, report says

Quote:
The FBI has launched an investigation into a suspected hate crime against a "visibly Jewish" 17-year-old boy with autism who had a swastika carved into his back at high school, according to the Israeli news outlet Ynet.

The teenager, who is nonverbal and had a full-time shadow to assist him at school, returned home from Clark High School in Las Vegas, Nevada, on March 9 with the swastika — the infamous Nazi symbol — etched onto his skin, the JewishPress reported.

His mother, who spoke to media outlets on the condition of anonymity for safety considerations, told Jewish news outlet Col Live that she noticed the injury that evening.

She also noticed that the bag holding her son's service dog's equipment, which included treats, water, and doggy bags, appeared to have been broken, per JewishPress.

The mother told Col Live that her son, whose name has not publicly been released, wears a yarmulke every day — making him identifiably Jewish.

She also said that to her knowledge he was the only student at the high school who regularly wore a religious skullcap.

Ynet reported that the FBI launched the investigation following an intervention by nonprofit group The Israeli-American Council.

The Anti-Defamation League (ADL) of Nevada appeared to confirm the law enforcement investigation in a tweet on Tuesday, urging anyone with information on the incident to reach out to them, and also to the FBI, regarding the "suspected hate incident."

The FBI confirmed in an email to Insider that it was aware of the incident and was communicating with local authorities. "If during the local investigation, information comes to light of a potential federal civil rights violation, the FBI is prepared to investigate," an FBI Las Vegas spokesperson said.

Because the teenager was unable to communicate what happened, his mother said she asked the person who had been assisting him, but was told that "nothing had happened at school," per Col Live.

Something does not add up. The “full time shadow” does not follow help the kid home? If anything did happen it happened on the way home on the bus or walking home. As I can personally attest bullying does happened while walking on the way home. Compared to normal bullying a person or people carving something on someones back would be more noticeable. This is not the 1960s but 2023 there are a lot of cameras around. How far does does the kid have to walk to get home, how isolated is his route home?

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Last edited by ASPartOfMe on 21 Apr 2023, 8:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2023, 8:26 am

That is evil

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2023, 10:35 am

Might the shadow be the assailant?

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2023, 3:24 am

Shouldn't there have been a good guy with a gun within line of sight and shooting distance? They're e'erywhere to protect school children!

MrsPeel
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2023, 12:44 am

That poor kid.

But I wouldn't rush to blame the shadow. The perps would have waited until the kid was unattended, eg. in the toilets or between classes or waiting for the school bus.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2023, 3:06 am

My heart genuinely goes out to this young man.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2023, 1:35 pm

MrsPeel wrote:
That poor kid.

But I wouldn't rush to blame the shadow. The perps would have waited until the kid was unattended, eg. in the toilets or between classes or waiting for the school bus.

I find the use of the word “shadow” odd. I have heard the terms “aide” or “assistant” used but never “shadow”. Just another reason why this story does not make sense.

The kid can’t carve a swastika on his own back so yeah poor kid.

The F.B.I. is involved so I am fairly sure they will get to the bottom of this.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2023, 1:40 pm

MrsPeel wrote:
That poor kid.

I wouldn't rush to blame them, but I'd prioritize ruling them out as a suspect (or failing to rule them out).

Persephone29
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2023, 9:05 pm

The 'shadow' or 1 on 1 waits for the student at the school bus drop off and then walks the student to the bus at dismissal, where the bus company takes responsibility for the student.

I'm not sure if it's the same everywhere, but in the county I work for the buses are contractors. There's very few "X county public school" buses that I see anywhere anymore. There don't seem to be enough drivers now. So the school districts have had to hire contractors to address the transportation requirements. There should be an aid on the bus to assist with and look out for children with special needs. If the parent isn't there to meet a child with special needs, or who has an IEP requirement for constant supervision the bus would be required to turn around and return the child to the school after the bus route is finished.

I can't say it with certainty, but I would surmise that this happened on the bus. Or, if the 1 on 1 was absent and the school could not find a replacement, he might have done without his 1 on 1 for the day. But to carve a Swastika into someone's skin takes time and privacy, the kid probably cried even if he is non-verbal.

Terrible

Neurocognitive exam in May 2019, diagnosed with ASD, Asperger's type in June 2019.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2023, 9:39 pm

Persephone29 wrote:
The 'shadow' or 1 on 1 waits for the student at the school bus drop off and then walks the student to the bus at dismissal, where the bus company takes responsibility for the student.

I'm not sure if it's the same everywhere, but in the county I work for the buses are contractors. There's very few "X county public school" buses that I see anywhere anymore. There don't seem to be enough drivers now. So the school districts have had to hire contractors to address the transportation requirements. There should be an aid on the bus to assist with and look out for children with special needs. If the parent isn't there to meet a child with special needs, or who has an IEP requirement for constant supervision the bus would be required to turn around and return the child to the school after the bus route is finished.

I can't say it with certainty, but I would surmise that this happened on the bus. Or, if the 1 on 1 was absent and the school could not find a replacement, he might have done without his 1 on 1 for the day. But to carve a Swastika into someone's skin takes time and privacy, the kid probably cried even if he is non-verbal.

Terrible

Thank you for the information not only on this thread but on the Florida thread. It is valuable to me who is trying to make sense of the culture war which is centered on schools that I have not attended for 50 years. How far is the bus drop off from the bus pickup in your district?

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2023, 11:17 am

The victim is a student at Ed. W. Clarke High School. It is a regular public high school not a special needs high school. It is very unlikely white supremacy/neo nazism is involved as the school has 91 percent minority enrollment.

Swastika Carved on Back of Jewish Teen with Special Needs Near Las Vegas - Jewish Prese

Quote:
The teen, who is nonverbal and wears a kipah, attends regular classes at Clark High School, where he has a full-time shadow to assist him and is accompanied by a service dog.

Nevertheless, the teen came home on March 9 with the swastika on his back, his mother said in an email interview with JewishPress.com also requesting anonymity for safety considerations.

She also discovered that the equipment bag carried by her son’s service dog was broken and had been resewn. The bag, which is with the shadow all day, holds the service dog equipment such as tracking items, dog treats, water and doggy bags.

When the mother notified the school about her son’s injury, however, she was told in response by the shadow that “nothing happened at school.”

The mother said she asked the shadow whether the boy was away from his shadow at all during the day. “Did he use the bathroom? Did he have any meltdowns yesterday? I would think this would have caused him to have a meltdown or get agitated,” she said.

However, the shadow responded by writing that the boy “had a good day yesterday. No meltdowns or anything. He was with me the whole day [and] he didn’t use the restroom.”

The shadow has kept [my son] from class in the past,” she continued. “I dropped him off at school one time last year and I got an email from the teacher and occupational therapist that he was absent from class.

“I pulled my son out of school because it’s an unsafe environment,” she added.

Because there are no CCTV cameras in any of the classrooms, locker rooms or bathrooms, there was no video of the incident.

Persephone29
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2023, 6:05 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Persephone29 wrote:

Terrible

Thank you for the information not only on this thread but on the Florida thread. It is valuable to me who is trying to make sense of the culture war which is centered on schools that I have not attended for 50 years. How far is the bus drop off from the bus pickup in your district?

The two schools I've worked at have had a separate bus loop specifically for the special needs kids. Everything is within sight... no mixing with general education (gen ed) kids. If there is a gen ed sibling, the sibling must ride our bus, the special needs kids are not allowed to ride gen ed buses. I will say that many of our 'special needs' kids are very capable of prejudice. The compound is very small though, compared to the rest of the school. It's hard to do anything without someone seeing it.

Neurocognitive exam in May 2019, diagnosed with ASD, Asperger's type in June 2019.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2023, 7:14 pm

This is awful. May be the perp (or perps) who did this
be brought to justice and be given proper sentences.

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2023, 7:40 pm

In my area, a profoundly disabled adult had her ear bit off - literally pieces of ear chewed off - by another student on the bus. This is a transportation service for adults going to adult day programs. There is no supervision except for the bus driver, who had pulled into the parking lot, got out and left all riders unsupervised.

But back to public schools - when a child is injured, nobody knows what happened and it never happened at school. If the child is nonverbal, no one ever finds out what happened.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2023, 7:46 pm

blazingstar wrote:
But back to public schools - when a child is injured, nobody knows what happened and it never happened at school. If the child is nonverbal, no one ever finds out what happened.

Let's also not forget "victim-blaming" and many such circumstances,
the perps get away it with without any problems.

Persephone29
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2023, 9:04 pm

This is terrible, no excuses. We don't have any children at my current school who qualify for a 1 on 1, I've mostly seen them with the profoundly physically disabled. But, at my granddaughter's high school, one kid got away from his 1 on 1 and attempted to commit suicide by jumping from the 2nd story breezeway. He climbed up and over the railing, jumped and broke several bones. They can and do get away it's just that most times nothing happens...

We aren't allowed to have gen ed kids in the same bathroom when our kids have to use one of theirs. Someone dropped the ball, somewhere.

Poor kid!!