Page 2 of 3 [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2024, 6:51 pm

Dragons fly and are associated with flying serpents. One of the oldest continuous cultures on earth are Australian aboriginals dated to 60,000 years. The creator spirit is called the "Wagyl" which is a giant flying serpent. Cave paintings attest the creator serpent was around when aboriginals first arrived thousands of years ago. Flying serpents are also synonymous with Indian creator serpents and of course south American creator serpents. North hemisphere dragons are only different in that they breath fire but they also fly around.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2024, 7:43 pm

Yes. The Aboriginies call it "the rainbow serpent".

Thats covered in the video I posted above.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2024, 3:40 am

naturalplastic wrote:

^^^ What do you think the serpent represents? it's in every culture on earth

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2024, 7:23 am

naturalplastic wrote:
Ummm...sure.

Here you go. I'll admit there might be some other explanation for it but at the time I was seriously spooked out.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2024, 8:08 am

That is a cool picture! :D

You should get it published in a photo magazine.

I doubt that its literally a dragon. But it sure looks like a Chinese style dragon (though it's missing it forelimbs).

A visual pun.

Some weather formation like clouds reflecting light? Humans shooting pyrotechnics?

Or maybe....its not just a Chinese folk belief...and theyre real. Lol!

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2024, 10:23 am

naturalplastic wrote:
Tornadoes dont exist in China, nor in Europe, have few dragon like traits, dont reside in caves, and dont live in water.

Tornadoes do occur in China. They are rare events but they do happen every now and then.

This tornado struck China last year:

At least 10 people have died and over 500 people have been relocated after tornadoes hit Suqian and Yancheng, two cities in China's eastern Jiangsu province.

Source: Videos capture deadly tornado whirling through eastern China

Tornadoes also occur over water. According to the internet:

These eerie columns of rotating air are known as waterspouts — commonly defined as tornadoes over water. Waterspouts usually develop over warm tropical ocean waters. They're spotted in the Florida Keys more than any other place in the world. They've also been seen over the waters of the Great Lakes.

Here is a video of one that occurred off the coast of Florida in 2022.

Massive tornadic waterspout filmed off coast of Florida

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2024, 11:39 am

This scene opens with an image of a water dragon. Many times these dragons appear in groups of 2 or 3 at a time. The video then follows up with many scenes of very violent land dragons.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2024, 3:28 pm

But dragons are not associated with big winds blowing houses down.

And dragons are said to live in small streams and rivers where water spouts do not appear.

Tornados are not as universal to the human experience as are dragon myths.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2024, 5:23 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
And dragons are said to live in small streams and rivers where water spouts do not appear.

These dragons are water spirits. Interestingly in India these water serpents are synonymous with an entity called Nagas. Nagas are found literally everywhere. In addition almost all cultures believe serpentine beings live under the earth and capable of transforming into human form. Quetzcotyl or kukalkan, the creator serpent in south America was also capable of being in human form (I imagine the local people might have had some difficulty taking notes about civilisation from a giant serpent without running away terrified).

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2024, 5:46 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
Dragons likely have nothing to do with tornadoes- if you're talking about the origin of the dragons as a mythical meme.

China virtually never has tornadoes. And neither does any other place in the whole length of the Eurasian landmass from the British Isles to Japan. That even though every culture in Eurasia from Britain to Japan has dragon myths (though the European Dragon is a very different creature than the Chinese dragon).

I agree with your premise about tornadoes not being the origin of dragon myths.

But I strongly disagree with the idea that the Eurasian landmass rarely sees tornadoes. While Eurasia as a whole tends to see far fewer strong tornadoes relative to North America, Eurasia has multiple tornado alleys of it's own.

I think you're assuming that because the US produces an especially large number of strong tornadoes that the rest of the world isn't as familiar with them despite them being one of the most dramatic and memorable weather phenomenon known to man and documented as far back as Roman times.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_E ... _outbreaks
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_t ... ks_in_Asia

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category: ... ed_Kingdom

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2024, 5:48 pm

cyberdad wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:

These dragons are water spirits. Interestingly in India these water serpents are synonymous with an entity called Nagas. Nagas are found literally everywhere. In addition almost all cultures believe serpentine beings live under the earth and capable of transforming into human form. Quetzcotyl or kukalkan, the creator serpent in south America was also capable of being in human form (I imagine the local people might have had some difficulty taking notes about civilisation from a giant serpent without running away terrified).

Not to forget the shape-shifting reptilian aliens who live inside of the earth. :nerdy:

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2024, 5:51 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:

Not to forget the shape-shifting reptilian aliens who live inside of the earth. :nerdy:

^^^ Didn't want to draw attention as that's an obvious modern version, but yes, reptilians are also seen by abductee folk.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2024, 6:45 pm

cyberdad wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:

^^^ What do you think the serpent represents? it's in every culture on earth

Dragons in modern pop culture have all kinds of animal features grafted on to them (mammal, avian, fish, bat wings) but they add up to being essentially reptiles that resemble dinosaurs more than anything else. So years ago when I was reading a book about fossils I came up with a theory that they ARE that. Carl Jung meets David Attenborough. Archetype meets paleontology.

Mammals and dinosaurs appeared at the same time in the fossil record. Dinosaurs were huge. Mammals (descended from large 'mammal-like reptiles')were forced to minaturize and become small shrew like insectovors. Mammals stayed small, became nocturnal, and sacrifice vision for scent. And thats how it was for the first 130 million of the 190 million years mammals existed. Our whole nervous system is adapted to...avoiding being eaten by dinosaurs.

Then the asteroid came. Wiped out the dinosaurs. Mammals took over and diversified. One branch took to the trees and became the primates. The primates became diurnal (living in the day time) and re evolved color vision. So we have this vision centered primate brain laid down on top of our early mammal brain adapted to hiding in the under brush in the dark from the day living dinosaurs. So when we evolved art and story telling we unconsciously recreate the dinosaur enemies that our mammalian brains were wired to hide from 60 million years ago. And thats why dragons look like T-Rex.

Trouble is when you research the dragons across time and across geography you learn that the farther back in time you go the less dragons resemble dinosaurs and the more they resemble modern day living snakes.

So I dont know. But humans in the tropics fear snakes (both big constricting kinds and the small poison bite kinds) and humans in the temperate zone fear the later as well. So snakes represent power. But also many cultures (even remote tribes in New Guinea) have the notion that snakes are immortal because you find their shed skins...which caused the notion that snakes can escape death itself. So wisdom, power, immortality. Combine that with a toxic bite than can morph in myth into breathing fire.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2024, 6:49 pm

Lost_dragon wrote:
I like the Welsh dragon. No maidens in that story though (that I'm aware of).

Image.

Not even maidens "in season"?

https://youtu.be/-AKAwjtzd4w

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2024, 1:57 am

Flying feathered serpent of south america looks an awful lot like a chinese or European dragon

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2024, 2:00 am

naturalplastic wrote:
So I dont know. But humans in the tropics fear snakes (both big constricting kinds and the small poison bite kinds) and humans in the temperate zone fear the later as well. So snakes represent power. But also many cultures (even remote tribes in New Guinea) have the notion that snakes are immortal because you find their shed skins...which caused the notion that snakes can escape death itself. So wisdom, power, immortality. Combine that with a toxic bite than can morph in myth into breathing fire.

There's an interesting theory that once upon a time shamans may have used snake venom as a kind of hallucinogen or that magic mushrooms give a universal vision of seeing writhing serpents?