Lisa Nowak's insanity defense - Guess what she's using!

Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

garmonbozia
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

08 Nov 2007, 7:31 pm

Hi. My apologies if this topic has already been covered. I did look around and didn't see any sign of it, so now I'm posting it.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/spe ... 8661.story

Just wondering what y'all think of it...

Joybob
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

08 Nov 2007, 7:41 pm

This is why I oppose space exploration.

MadyGirl1987
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

08 Nov 2007, 11:00 pm

:roll: Wow... I am offended that she will use AS as a defense to justify what she did. Something tells me it is just a lie and that it will make people think Aspies are anti-social ticking timebombs.

tweety_fan
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2007, 4:02 am

it upsets me when people use AS as a justification for behavior like that. me thinks that her defence is extremely poor and she is using this lie as her last hope.

I don't want to be thought of as evil and a lunatic due to my AS cause of peeps like this. :x

UncleBeer
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2007, 4:07 am

Here's a pretty long WP thread covering this same topic: http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt42295.html

pandabear
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2007, 10:39 am

"Generally, you argue insanity defense when you don't have anything else to argue," Batey said.

woodsman25
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

09 Nov 2007, 2:33 pm

OHHH God! You have to be joking, she is going to use AS as a reason for being a crazy lune.

Jeeze.... Thats ignorant!

garmonbozia
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

09 Nov 2007, 6:05 pm

Oops. :oops: I went back to the article and noticed it is dated August 29, something I had failed to notice before. (I had found it by following a link from AFF, where digging up old articles seems to be a favorite pastime. I posted what I really think of her on I2. :twisted: )

UncleBeer
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2007, 6:13 pm

garmonbozia wrote:
I posted what I really think of her on I2.

I'm sure someone still drops in over there. I sure don't.

garmonbozia
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

09 Nov 2007, 6:50 pm

If I said what I really think of Nowak here, I'd probably get banned.

KBABZ
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Middle Earth. Er, I mean Wellywood. Wait, Wellington.

09 Nov 2007, 6:57 pm

garmonbozia wrote:
Oops. :oops: I went back to the article and noticed it is dated August 29, something I had failed to notice before. (I had found it by following a link from AFF, where digging up old articles seems to be a favorite pastime. I posted what I really think of her on I2. :twisted: )

That's my Birthday!! The Loon!!

In a way
And sadness turned to comfort
We all go there

KingdomOfRats
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2007, 8:43 pm

woodsman25 wrote:
OHHH God! You have to be joking, she is going to use AS as a reason for being a crazy lune.

if she was as bad as she is making out [bad enough to make her not know right from wrong and not know consequences],with AS and the other stuff,she would have been diagnosed before now,NASA requires pyschiatric testing.

it's stupid how people like her can go through life high functioning,needing no help or lable, and often successful,yet when theyre caught doing something wrong,it's an attempt to get as many diagnosis as possible to make her look mental,just look at how many diagnosis' they came up with for other aspie criminal-Barry George,he still hasn't got away with it.
from what have read of her before,she does sound aspie,but think a lot of stuff is being strengthened for excuse.

Othila
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

09 Nov 2007, 9:46 pm

I think mitigating circumstances are appropriate in this case given that Novak had a clean record before she went all freaky deaky. Her case kind of reminds me of the one where the cop ate a twinkie and then went nutso and killed someone. The insomnia may make a more compelling defense for temporary insanity than the aspie diagnosis given that insomniacs tend to hallucinate and become mentally unstable through lack of sleep.

woodsman25
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

10 Nov 2007, 3:18 am

KingdomOfRats wrote:
woodsman25 wrote:

if she was as bad as she is making out [bad enough to make her not know right from wrong and not know consequences],with AS and the other stuff,she would have been diagnosed before now,NASA requires pyschiatric testing.

it's stupid how people like her can go through life high functioning,needing no help or lable, and often successful,yet when theyre caught doing something wrong,it's an attempt to get as many diagnosis as possible to make her look mental,just look at how many diagnosis' they came up with for other aspie criminal-Barry George,he still hasn't got away with it.
from what have read of her before,she does sound aspie,but think a lot of stuff is being strengthened for excuse.

You know, i never even thought about it that way, of course they test people, especally for her job, physical and mental testing must be real good, and their is no way in hell they could have missed it if she really had AS! It would be bad enough if NASA knew she had AS prior to the incident and then she simply blaimed her old DX for her insanity, but shes going to diagnose herself now simply to try and get away with that incident, her love triangle loonyness!

Ya know, if I had a job where I got to fly a space shuttle that would very quickly become my life, I dont know about anybody else, but its not like tons of people get the oppertunity to fly into outerspace, not only is she making all aspies look bad (and I bet many of her collegues at NASA also have AS so I doubt even if shes allowed to return they wont exactly have a welcome party for her, but for her, how on Gods earth could someone blow one of the greatest oppertunities/jobs in the history of mankind over a love triangle and then the crazy altercation that resulted afterwards.

I may be generalizing, but I think many aspies would be more focused on flying into space and their preperations for their future missions then whatever she was doing, aspies hyperfocus and if you are an astronaut that means you probably always wanted to be one since childhood, I dont know how a real aspie would blow it for something as stupid as that, then again I could be just making a very piss poor assumption, maby assuming anybody would be like me cause God knows given the oppertunity to go to space it would consume my whole life, obviously that did not occure for her.

If she is going to pull this mental stuff, why not just plean insanity, she could say shes crazy, not she has AS and that people with aspringers have a tendancy to ruin their kick ass once in a million careers to be involved in a love triangle and then almost kill someone.

WOW! What a rant... ok ill go now :? But seriously, anybody else agree? Does what she did sound aspieish at all to anybody????

ahayes
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2007, 4:13 am

I wouldn't think aspies would pull stunts like this.

Though, I suppose the defense has a point, she is one crazy-ass b***h.

garmonbozia
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

10 Nov 2007, 8:58 am

Othila wrote:
...The insomnia may make a more compelling defense for temporary insanity than the aspie diagnosis given that insomniacs tend to hallucinate and become mentally unstable through lack of sleep.

I can testify to the effects of sleep deprivation (which insomnia by definition results in). After I graduated from college, I had to empty the contents of my university-owned apartment into a storage unit, completely on my own with only a subcompact car for hauling. It took three days (including two nights without sleep), and toward the end I was seeing stuff in the wee hours of the morning. For example, the double yellow line looked like it was levitating off the road. Also, I stopped to put fuel in the car and for a second there, I thought some of those concrete bumpers next to the gas pumps were midgets. I'm lucky I didn't crash that car.

I shouldn't have done that, and under no circumstance ever will again, but I was concerned about the move-out deadline, not to mention my mind was still recovering from the last round of final exams. I should have just paid whatever fee it would have taken to keep that apartment another day or so.

Re: aspies as astronauts. I'm sure there are some closet aspies among the astronauts. However, our time to shine will be when there are long-haul trips to Mars and the asteroids. Let's see... they'll need people who can handle isolation, follow routines, and pay attention to details.