Flaws in N.B.'s new autism therapy system: parents (CBC)

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

MrMark
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2007, 10:47 am

Flaws in N.B.'s new autism therapy system: parents

Some parents of autistic children say their experience over the last 18 months with New Brunswick's latest therapy program has left them longing for a time when they were in charge of finding therapy for their kids and the government just paid the bill.

"It might have had its flaws, but it worked better for him [her son], and he made way more progress," said Cindy Havens, mother of two autistic children.

In Ontario parents have a choice between going to a government-run clinic or managing their own program, Havens said.

"And you know what? If you have the ability of choice, I think it makes a lot more people stand up and be more accountable, as opposed to have a monopoly."

more...

- Emerson

Rjaye
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2007, 5:10 am

I find it interesting that the school officials and parents quote American studies showing that thirty hours of therapy is necessary to get these kids up to par...

What studies? The only study I know of compared two groups, one with therapy and one without, and there was no difference in development between the two. And the study was too small to derive any conclusions, which means we need more studies.

Another signs schools operate in wonderland...