Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

Brittany2907
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's

29 Dec 2007, 1:52 am

Interesting articles about anorexia and aspergers in females...

one article: http://www.autismvox.com/anorexia-as-th ... aspergers/

another article about the same thing...just written by another person: http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_a ... 272080.ece

mcsquared
Raven
Raven

29 Dec 2007, 2:39 pm

It's interesting that they didn't mention the factors that I would think of relating to food and ASDs, namely taste sensitivities and picky eating, especially with regard to food texture,smell and presentation. I was also reading about a misdiagnosed anorexia case where the woman was eating 3000 calories a day but it turns out she was glutein-intolerant so her body wasn't absorbing most of the nutrients which meant she couldn't gain weight. I've been hearing more about the glutin-free diet for ASDs as well as other allergies so thought there might be another possible connection there.

ShadesOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2007, 5:54 pm

Lies.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2007, 6:29 pm

Than why do I look like Sid, than like Barbie, who wouldn't be able to have periods, if she was a live person?

Apatura
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2007, 6:33 pm

I have a lot of food aversions and am a very picky eater, when I was a child I was very underweight, and sometimes as an adult I've gotten very obsessive about food in terms of what I can or can't tolerate to eat, but my weight isn't the concern. I have been obsessed with nutrition, sometimes to an extreme, but it's not about body image, so I don't think it's an eating disorder per se. As an adult I have never been seriously under or over weight.

Kitsy
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

29 Dec 2007, 9:02 pm

I have always been small framed. I get offended when people toss out the term anorexic towards people who have always been petite but eat and just have a fast metabolism. I hear that going around alot more now. It's as rude as when people make fun of the latter.

Mcsquared made an insightful post.

xx Dan Monster

StrangeGirl
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

29 Dec 2007, 10:42 pm

My daughter developed bulimia with the only goal is to become a little thinner and hence more popular. I have to say the local enviromnet is very promoting for it.
Girls are all thin and obsessed with their appearance.
It was stoped 4 month later with anthidepressants though.
It was a real bulimia with the chemical disbalance in the brain.

Brittany2907

30 Dec 2007, 12:31 am

Kitsy wrote:
I have always been small framed. I get offended when people toss out the term anorexic towards people who have always been petite but eat and just have a fast metabolism. I hear that going around alot more now. It's as rude as when people make fun of the latter.

Mcsquared made an insightful post.

I agree.
I have been a small framed person my whole life [my mother and father both very small framed so I guess I inherited that gene]. People have accused me of being "anorexic". Obviously they are just thinking of the weight I am...and not the actual mind-set [my mind-set is fine by the way...and so is my weight].
When people call others anorexic just as an insult...it not only is an insult to the person, but is a real insult to people who have real eating disorders.
It's just like calling someone a "ret*d" just to make fun...it is an insult to those with real mental retardation.

violet_yoshi
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2007, 6:48 am

Brittany2907 wrote:
Interesting articles about anorexia and aspergers in females...

one article: http://www.autismvox.com/anorexia-as-th ... aspergers/

another article about the same thing...just written by another person: http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_a ... 272080.ece

All they're saying is both Anorexia and Asperger's Syndrome deals in a large part, with obsessive behaviour. A grade school child could tell you that.

eScential
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

30 Dec 2007, 6:35 pm

If 20% are on the spectrum, find out why. It is so stupid to say that is how females demonstrate being on the spectrum. Another way to misdiagnose and ignore the females on the spectrum. That's all this is. :evil:

ShadesOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2008, 5:31 am

CockneyRebel wrote:
Than why do I look like Sid, than like Barbie, who wouldn't be able to have periods, if she was a live person?

barbie would be over ten feet tall, and not able to move. She couldn't even exist.

I say they are lies. I am built larger. In fact, all of the girls I know personally with AS (thats um, only two) are larger. Not anorexic at all.

eScential
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

01 Jan 2008, 8:19 pm

My neighbor may not be anorexic, but has great trouble to eat and very scrawny female aspy.
(Debil not flaca)

robots_jesus
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

01 Jan 2008, 8:46 pm

girls with breeder hips can definitely have asburgers

eScential
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

01 Jan 2008, 9:03 pm

inappropriate remark

ShadesOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2008, 3:37 am

robots_jesus wrote:
girls with breeder hips can definitely have asburgers
what the heck are "breeder hips" it doesn't sound to nice.

TrueDave
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2008, 2:55 am

Ok I used to work for a Kenner toys and I know all about dolls.

Heres the dirt with Barbie.
She started out as a german post ww2 tobacco shop novelty, like a hula skirt hawaii girl. She was a 3d cheesecake.
A mwn from Mattel bought one took it back to america and caught his daughter playing with it. The idea was kicked around and noone had ever done a doll of a woman for little girls before. Th eoriginal doll Lily and Barbie hasve the same facial expression.
Barbie had her crazy thin busty figure because she was not meant to be looked at nude. At the time they didnt have microweave fibers, so a wool dress waistwith a blouse tucked in and a jacket on top id going to be bulky. So they made her waist smaller.