President Obama Visiting Oklahoma, Commuting sentences

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2015, 11:05 am

Quote:
Obama is also likely to commute the sentences of dozens of non-violent offenders next week, according to individuals familiar with the decision. In March, the president commuted the sentences of 22 drug offenders, the largest number of commutations he had granted since taking office.

Asked about the possible commutations, Earnest declined to provide details but said, "I can say as a general matter, the president has used his executive authority previously to commute the sentences of some nonviolent offenders, and I certainly wouldn't rule out the possibly that he would use that kind of authority in the future."

He will make a strong statement in a state claiming the highest incarceration rate for non violent offenders and it robs kids of their parents, puts hardship on the family, denies treatment options and could be more costly than treating them for a short time in rehab then offering outpatient support.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/pos ... -thursday/

pcuser
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2015, 12:34 pm

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
Quote:
Obama is also likely to commute the sentences of dozens of non-violent offenders next week, according to individuals familiar with the decision. In March, the president commuted the sentences of 22 drug offenders, the largest number of commutations he had granted since taking office.

Asked about the possible commutations, Earnest declined to provide details but said, "I can say as a general matter, the president has used his executive authority previously to commute the sentences of some nonviolent offenders, and I certainly wouldn't rule out the possibly that he would use that kind of authority in the future."

He will make a strong statement in a state claiming the highest incarceration rate for non violent offenders and it robs kids of their parents, puts hardship on the family, denies treatment options and could be more costly than treating them for a short time in rehab then offering outpatient support.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/pos ... -thursday/

Well said...