Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

jaydog
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2008, 5:23 pm

a very interesting article, if you know anything about schizophrenia, take away hallucinations and delusions and the symptoms that remain and you get autism...

"Take away schizophrenia's hallucinations and delusions and the symptoms that remain, the lack of social interest and withdrawal, are what we call autism. There is clearly an intersection of the brain systems involved," the study's lead author Jon McClellan said.

Of course we all know stress is a big part of schizophrenia so if this is the case...

view article

SCHIZOPHRENIA IS NOT RARE: NO ONE IS IMMUNE
view article
Schizophrenia is found all over the world -- in all races, in all cultures and in all social classes
It affects 1 in 100 people worldwide. That's approximately 40,000 of our B.C. neighbours -- or 290,000 fellow Canadians

wow autism is 1 in 150 and schizophrenia (stress) is 1 in 100 people... that says something..

The_Cucumber
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2008, 7:20 pm

Well I'd disagree with that assessment.

Schizophrenia is a fragmentation of thought. Words become split from meaning, actions from motives, and perception from reality.

Someone with autism still thinks rationally, they simply have powerful emotions getting in the way of actions. I remember back when I had meltdowns I would actually retain perfect clarity of thought. When I ripped off a railing I might have looked completly insane on the outside but inside I was simply thinking "that was too easy, it probably was going to break soon anyways".

Also Autism can be treated cognitively while schizophrenia cannot be. So while there might be a slight overlap of visible symptoms, the causes are completely different, even if they are both biological.

krex
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2008, 7:31 pm

Very sloppy logic and science in this connection. You can not say that the external reactions(behavior) is controlled by the same internal cause(brain wiring,chemicals). Someone shows signs of autism when they are very young but scizophrenia isn't evident until the person is in their teens, twenties and thirties.

Although clasic autistics may chose to be isolated from others(I don't know since I am not one), many aspies say they want human connections(or ould if people weren't such jerks to them). It is more a matter of getting lost in special interests, having negative rejections do to social misunderstandings that isolate many with AS. Same result, different cause, makes a big difference.

Visit my wool sculpture blog
http://eyesoftime.blogspot.com/

Lene
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2008, 7:53 pm

Sounds interesting. There's a lot in common between schizotypal disorder (a very mild form/possible precursor of schizophrenia) and Aspergers- the main differences seem to be better eye contact and lack of motor clumsiness, with additional odd beliefs.

EvilKimEvil
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2008, 9:50 pm

"Autistic thinking" is said to be one of four main symptoms of schizophrenia. So there is some overlap between the two. And it is not surprising that one is often mistaken for the other. I would not be surprised if they were somehow related, I guess.

That said, schizophrenia is very different from autistic spectrum disorders. Schizophrenia is a "thought disorder" characterized by severe distortions of reality in the form of delusions and hallucinations. Schizophrenia typically appears in early adulthood and tends to change over time. For some people, it gradually gets worse. For others, it comes and goes. ASDs, by contrast, remain constant throughout a person's life. And of course ASDs do not cause delusions.

MartyMoose
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2008, 9:55 pm

jaydog wrote:
a very interesting article, if you know anything about schizophrenia, take away hallucinations and delusions and the symptoms that remain and you get autism...

"Take away schizophrenia's hallucinations and delusions and the symptoms that remain, the lack of social interest and withdrawal, are what we call autism. There is clearly an intersection of the brain systems involved," the study's lead author Jon McClellan said.

Of course we all know stress is a big part of schizophrenia so if this is the case...

view article

SCHIZOPHRENIA IS NOT RARE: NO ONE IS IMMUNE
view article
Schizophrenia is found all over the world -- in all races, in all cultures and in all social classes
It affects 1 in 100 people worldwide. That's approximately 40,000 of our B.C. neighbours -- or 290,000 fellow Canadians

wow autism is 1 in 150 and schizophrenia (stress) is 1 in 100 people... that says something..

They say John Nash the subject of "A Beautiful Mind" had asperger's. I always though he was schizoprenic. I see paterns alot but I don't think I have iridium implants in my arms and stuff.

velodog
Gold Supporter
Gold Supporter

22 Apr 2008, 10:58 pm

I always knew that vaccines caused schizophrenia.

twoshots
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2008, 11:39 pm

Quote:
They say John Nash the subject of "A Beautiful Mind" had asperger's.

No, he was schizo. Completely batty.

MartyMoose
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2008, 11:48 pm

twoshots wrote:
Quote:
They say John Nash the subject of "A Beautiful Mind" had asperger's.

No, he was schizo. Completely batty.
That's what I thought. He was brilliant though.

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2008, 7:26 am

velodog wrote:

+1

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

Averick
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2008, 7:19 pm

velodog wrote:

LOL!! !

Nice one. :wink:

hartzofspace
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

29 Apr 2008, 7:40 pm

krex wrote:
Very sloppy logic and science in this connection. You can not say that the external reactions(behavior) is controlled by the same internal cause(brain wiring,chemicals). Someone shows signs of autism when they are very young but scizophrenia isn't evident until the person is in their teens, twenties and thirties.

Although clasic autistics may chose to be isolated from others(I don't know since I am not one), many aspies say they want human connections(or ould if people weren't such jerks to them). It is more a matter of getting lost in special interests, having negative rejections do to social misunderstandings that isolate many with AS. Same result, different cause, makes a big difference.

I agree. And speaking for myself, I do not have a lack of social interest. I just find that I must take socializing in small doses, which happens to seem unnatural to most NTs.

Macbeth
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2008, 8:14 pm

And if you take away the buboes and the mild case of death from Bubonic plague, then you have the common cold...

There is A logic at work here, but its a touch pre-mediaeval. Akin to the concept of balancing bile.. which was a classical concept that makes sense in a certain way, but is in fact complete bollocks.

oscuria
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2008, 5:48 am

Just take fish oil. It cures everything!

Brittany2907
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's

01 May 2008, 7:25 pm

oscuria wrote:

and a berocca (energy drink) will "bounce" the schizophrenia out of you. :roll:

oscuria
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2008, 12:52 am

Brittany2907 wrote:
oscuria wrote:

and a berocca (energy drink) will "bounce" the schizophrenia out of you. :roll:

Quote:
A study from the Orygen Research Centre in Melbourne suggests that omega-3 fatty acids could also help delay or prevent the onset of schizophrenia. The researchers enlisted 81 'high risk' young people aged 13 to 24 who had previously suffered brief hallucinations or delusions and gave half of them capsules of fish oil while the other half received fish-tasting dummy subtitute. One year on, only three percent of those on fish oil had developed schizophrenia compared to 28 percent from those on the substitute - a very impressive result, but not yet published in a peer reviewed journal[1].

It's a wonder drug!