Veteran

15 Sep 2008, 11:54 am

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7617363.stm

This is immensely sad.

intense
Toucan
Toucan

15 Sep 2008, 12:15 pm

Oh god no! Pink Floyd have been my favourite band for most of my life they wouldn't have captured my imagination half as much without him he is responsible for some of the most beauitiful things I have ever heard.

RIP Rick :cry:

LeKiwi
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2008, 12:35 pm

Gosh... that's really sad news. What a loss to the music world. :( :( :(

coyote
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

15 Sep 2008, 12:42 pm

That is extremely sad :(

Prof_Pretorius
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2008, 1:25 pm

First Syd, now Rick. A great artist is gone.

When they recorded "The Wall" Rick was going through a messy divorce, and contributed little to the album. Rog was upset with him, and insisted that he be paid as a 'session' musician for the tour. "The Wall" was so expensive to stage, Rick was the only one to actually make money on the tour ! !

He will be missed. It's sad that they will never perform together again ....

DocStrange
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2008, 2:08 pm

intense wrote:
Oh god no! Pink Floyd have been my favourite band for most of my life they wouldn't have captured my imagination half as much without him he is responsible for some of the most beauitiful things I have ever heard.

RIP Rick :cry:

They are my favorite band as well. That's what makes this so sad.

Even if Mason, Waters and Gilmour reunite, what good is it? that's not the Floyd. That's Mason, Waters and Gilmour. I will only accept all four and that clearly will never happen again.

The world loses David Foster Wallace and Rick Wright in the span of 48 hours. This is a bad week for me.

VH1 Classic better have a 24 Hours of Pink Floyd marathon sometime this week. They just have to. They did it the week Syd died, they'll do it again.

iceb
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2008, 2:31 pm

Another sad day :(

But the beautiful music will live forever :heart:

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2008, 7:46 am

I heard it on the news, and it's sad. Pink Floyd are a great band.

ExcellentDriver
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

16 Sep 2008, 10:04 am

Rick Wright’s contribution to the Floyd sound, particularly in the early days, is often overlooked. Apart from Barrett, his was the main instrument on “Piper At The Gates Of Dawn” and he wrote some lovely songs, my fave being “Remember A Day”. Whenever I hear him singing “Why can’t we play today”I get shivers down my spine.

I think I’m Wright in saying he’s the only person to play on every Pink Floyd album.

intense
Toucan
Toucan

16 Sep 2008, 2:00 pm

ExcellentDriver wrote:
I think I’m Wright in saying he’s the only person to play on every Pink Floyd album.
That's Nick Mason your thinking of he played on every PF album, Rick was not on the Final Cut as he had left Pink Floyd forced out by Roger Waters by then.

I'm so sad he's gone :(

Prof_Pretorius
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2008, 12:23 pm

Rick wrote "The Gig in the Sky" on DSOTM, which is a beautiful haunting piece. The story is that when he was recording it, he was note perfect. Rog decided to play a joke on him, and played the recording in his headphones as he played it again. Rick didn't notice as he had it down straight.
He was prolly the least 'famous' of the group. Rog and Dave have always been in the spotlight, and Nick is quite well known for collection of vintage Ferraris. (Hope he sets up a museum in his will.)
After Rog left, when they were trying to get back together for "A Momentary Lapse" Nick called Rick who had 'retired' to Greece to sail. It was the fact that he agreed to perform again that made the reunion work. Rog was terribly upset that the three of them decided to tour again. But Rog is a genius, and well known as being difficult to get along with ...

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2008, 12:28 pm

Which one was Pink?

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Prof_Pretorius
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2008, 2:30 pm

Fnord wrote:
Which one was Pink?

"the band is just fantastic, that is really what we think,
and by the way, which ones pink?
And did we tell you the name of the game, boy?
We call it riding the gravy traaaaaaiiiiinnnn"

GothmogDave
Butterfly
Butterfly

17 Sep 2008, 9:28 pm

Pink Floyd are my favorite band, whom I have long wished to have had the chance to have seen live - I had the chance once actually, but my father wouldn't let me go to Live8 because he didnt think I would cope with the crowds :( and now the chance will never come again.

RIP Rick.

intense
Toucan
Toucan

18 Sep 2008, 6:13 am

GothmogDave wrote:
Pink Floyd are my favorite band, whom I have long wished to have had the chance to have seen live - I had the chance once actually, but my father wouldn't let me go to Live8 because he didnt think I would cope with the crowds :( and now the chance will never come again.

RIP Rick.
Oh no it’s such a shame he wouldn’t let you go :( I was lucky enough to see PF 7 times and those shows were among the most profound experiences I've ever had, I saw them 6 times in 1994 like you my parents wouldn't let me go and see them in 1987 I was to young and no adult would take me, I even managed to see them all re-united at Live8 I still can't believe I won tickets as I've never won anything in my life before! I also saw some of Rick’s last live performances on David Gilmour's recent tour, Rick got a highly deserved standing ovation every single night.

I didn't know I had AS back then and although the crowds bothered me “a lot” I loved Pink Floyd so much that I managed to focus on them and that helped me get through the masses of people without any major meltdowns. I was so in awe at the massive outdoor show in Paris in 1994 that I didn't even register the 150,000 people all around me.

I am SO glad I got to see Rick perform all those times I will miss his music more than I can say :cry:

Prof_Pretorius
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2008, 1:47 pm

Oddly enough, about two weeks ago Dave commented that they would never tour again because the rehearsal for Live8 was unpleasant. I wonder if he was covering up for Rick having cancer. Thus far I haven't heard what type he had, whether he had suffered for years, or went quickly.