Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Khan_Sama
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2008, 6:48 pm

I'd like to wish all the Muslim and Jewish members of WP (if there are any) a very happy and prosperous Eid-ul-Fitr & Rosh Hashanah. :-)

Although my Eid will not occur until tomorrow... The thin crescent moon hash not been sighted here. ^^;

pakled
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2008, 8:30 pm

now that's a coincidence...even though they're both based on Lunar calendars...;)

LabPet
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2008, 10:18 pm

Very thoughtful and appropriate, Khan_Sama! I agree - have a great holiday Wrong Planet inhabitants who celebrate either.

I'm neither, but I extend the greetings!

BUT.....I'm an Alaskan. Might not be monumental, but the 1st snowfall was Saturday, 9.27! 6 days after equinox. This marks the onset of the long, cold winter. I love snow!

Ravenclawgurl
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2008, 8:40 am

Khan_Sama wrote:
I'd like to wish all the Muslim and Jewish members of WP (if there are any) a very happy and prosperous Eid-ul-Fitr & Rosh Hashanah. :-)

Although my Eid will not occur until tomorrow... The thin crescent moon hash not been sighted here. ^^;

thank you i hope ur Eid is good one

Khan_Sama
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2008, 8:49 am

You're welcome. The moon has just been sighted, tomorrow morning Eid begins. It's 7:17 PM here as I type. ^^

Quote:
BUT.....I'm an Alaskan. Might not be monumental, but the 1st snowfall was Saturday, 9.27! 6 days after equinox. This marks the onset of the long, cold winter. I love snow!

I've never seen real snow, only from a distance at the Himalayas :-(

Quote:
now that's a coincidence...even though they're both based on Lunar calendars...

Yes, Rosh Hashanah is fixed though, we follow Eid based on the sighting of the moon. ^^

monty
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2008, 11:24 am

Khan_Sama wrote:

Aha - perhaps that is what it is. I was driving to work this morning, and a mosque I drove by had hundreds of people gathering in their green space for some sort of celebration.

LabPet
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2008, 12:09 pm

I've wondered about this.....in the Interior where I live (Alaska) there are 2 Synagoges since we have many Russians here. Anyway, their holidays that begin at sundown: At winter solstice there is just 3 hrs 43 min of day light! This means Channukah begins extra early (as in very early afternoon, not evening hours)!

About holidays that require fasting during daytime; I believe Alaskans who celebrate have 'special rules' considering our conditions.

Khan_Sama: I shall send you VIRTUAL Alaskan snow since we have plenty to share :D

Khan_Sama
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2008, 2:24 pm

I would imagine so. :-)

Thanks a lot! Remind me to send some virtual sand from the desert next time I'm in the middle east! xD

monty wrote:
Aha - perhaps that is what it is. I was driving to work this morning, and a mosque I drove by had hundreds of people gathering in their green space for some sort of celebration.

Yup, that's the special morning prayer for Eid. ^_^