Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

ShadesOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

Macbeth
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2008, 12:00 pm

America still has lower wages for women than men? How delightfully 19th century of them. Isn't it heart warming to know that the leaders of the free world set such a shining example of equality and liberty? That'll show the fuzzy wuzzys how truly medieval they are in their attitudes, wont it? I'm sure they will just rush to embrace superior western values knowing this...

Anemone
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2008, 12:00 pm

Interesting. Especially the part about single women without kids being poor, and the link between domestic violence and homelessness. But I noticed they didn't say anything about raising the minimum wage. Instead of getting women into higher paying jobs, why not make all jobs higher paying? No one should be poor in a wealthy country, especially people who are working full time. That's just dumb.

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2008, 12:20 pm

I wonder how many people with Autism are living in poverty in "rich" countries. I'd bet the majority are (over half); whether they care or not is beside the point.

I'm below the poverty line, and I don't care.

YowlingCat
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2008, 12:25 pm

More remarkable to me than just about anything was the total lack of consideration of the price women pay for having any mental illness, and the lack of treatment available (and lack of insurance to treat said illness - in fact any illness). Depression hits women much harder than it does men.

CanyonWind
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2008, 1:04 pm

YowlingCat wrote:
Depression hits women much harder than it does men.

Uh huh, right. Guess that's why men kill themselves three times more often than women.

Well thank you buddy for your advice...
-Malvina

YowlingCat
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2008, 1:20 pm

From NIMH:

Quote:
How do women experience depression?

Depression is more common among women than among men. Biological, life cycle, hormonal and psychosocial factors unique to women may be linked to women's higher depression rate. Researchers have shown that hormones directly affect brain chemistry that controls emotions and mood. For example, women are particularly vulnerable to depression after giving birth, when hormonal and physical changes, along with the new responsibility of caring for a newborn, can be overwhelming. Many new mothers experience a brief episode of the "baby blues," but some will develop postpartum depression, a much more serious condition that requires active treatment and emotional support for the new mother. Some studies suggest that women who experience postpartum depression often have had prior depressive episodes.

Some women may also be susceptible to a severe form of premenstrual syndrome (PMS), sometimes called premenstrual dysphoric disorder (PMDD), a condition resulting from the hormonal changes that typically occur around ovulation and before menstruation begins. During the transition into menopause, some women experience an increased risk for depression. Scientists are exploring how the cyclical rise and fall of estrogen and other hormones may affect the brain chemistry that is associated with depressive illness.11

Finally, many women face the additional stresses of work and home responsibilities, caring for children and aging parents, abuse, poverty, and relationship strains. It remains unclear why some women faced with enormous challenges develop depression, while others with similar challenges do not.

How do men experience depression?

Men often experience depression differently than women and may have different ways of coping with the symptoms. Men are more likely to acknowledge having fatigue, irritability, loss of interest in once–pleasurable activities, and sleep disturbances, whereas women are more likely to admit to feelings of sadness, worthlessness and/or excessive guilt.12,13

Men are more likely than women to turn to alcohol or drugs when they are depressed, or become frustrated, discouraged, irritable, angry and sometimes abusive. Some men throw themselves into their work to avoid talking about their depression with family or friends, or engage in reckless, risky behavior. And even though more women attempt suicide, many more men die by suicide in the United States.14

...Before puberty, boys and girls are equally likely to develop depressive disorders. By age 15, however, girls are twice as likely as boys to have experienced a major depressive episode.23

Different coping styles, probably in part due to social expectations of how a male "should" behave.

Article: http://www.nimh.nih.gov/health/publicat ... tion.shtml

Postperson
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2008, 4:16 pm

I spent most of my life as a single woman without children and financially it was rough. Women are steel seen as an oddity in the workforce, or were when I was in it.

Late in life I got lucky with real estate prices booming, I had moved across the country to live where I could afford to buy a cheapie and prices went up a lot after that, so I sold and moved to another state again so I could pocket the difference. Just luck, if it wasn't for that I would be living in rental property solely on welfare. I had no help with any of this from anyone.

Relationship offers increased after I became a property owner, ugh. People are so uh venal.

musicforanna
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2008, 7:04 pm

I'm not surprised. Where I went to school still has its equity bake sales to spread awareness of the pay gap.

patternist
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2008, 7:56 pm

Quote:
No one should be poor in a wealthy country, especially people who are working full time. That's just dumb.

And yet I spoke with a female bank teller today who said she couldn't afford health insurance, so she wasn't going to go to the hospital to get checked out after an auto accident.