30 year old evicted from parents' home

Page 1 of 3 [ 48 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

green0star
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2018, 9:33 am

https://youtu.be/Ut7e-0X8lds

I know a lot of people are really downing this guy hard but did anyone ever take the time to think about the parents and how they might have raised him??? I don't know about anyone else but home life must have been really comfortable for one to stay their for 8 years and then get kicked out and then humiliated on national tv.

I mean don't get me wrong, the dude has a kid so if he's able to have sex then he should be able to work and be on his own. But something tells me there's a lot more going on in the bigger picture of this situation.

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2018, 10:05 am

He won't even do chores in the house.

green0star
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2018, 10:08 am

Again, that's on the parents. You gotta instill that in them from young, not expect them as adults to just all of a sudden start doing that. They say he only moved back 8 years ago. Which means more then likely he probably either did live on his own or with someone(the baby's mother or something) and once that failed then he came back to the parents. So its not like he's incapable of living on his own.

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2018, 10:19 am

green0star wrote:
Again, that's on the parents. You gotta instill that in them from young, not expect them as adults to just all of a sudden start doing that. They say he only moved back 8 years ago. Which means more then likely he probably either did live on his own or with someone(the baby's mother or something) and once that failed then he came back to the parents. So its not like he's incapable of living on his own.

He went to college and got a business degree.

Presumably, moved back home after college.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2018, 2:28 pm

Wow. I'm a little surprised by the reaction to this on this, of all, forums.

I watched one brief interview clip with him and was able to tell there is definitely something mental/developmental going on with this guy. My brother posted a comment on FB saying that interviewers from multiple media sources agreed once they started interviewing him that it wasn't fair to completely obliterate him on camera/on air because they weren't exactly interviewing someone with all of their mental faculties in order - and I agree with that completely.

LoveNotHate wrote:
green0star wrote:

So what? I went to business school and graduated from it when I was 19. I still lived at home then. Several years later, due to way stronger ASD symptoms, I was incapable of holding a job/working. Just because someone gets an education doesn't mean they're able to function well enough in society to work and provide for themselves.

Same goes for whoever said because he fathered a child that he should be capable of working.. wtf? Just because a male can get an erection & have an orgasm doesn't automatically mean he's fit for work.

This guy needs some serious mental health help, not to be made a mockery of and kicked when he's down. Hopefully someone in his area in the medical field recognizes this and reaches out to him.

SZWell
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 May 2018, 3:18 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
Wow. I'm a little surprised by the reaction to this on this, of all, forums.

I watched one brief interview clip with him and was able to tell there is definitely something mental/developmental going on with this guy. My brother posted a comment on FB saying that interviewers from multiple media sources agreed once they started interviewing him that it wasn't fair to completely obliterate him on camera/on air because they weren't exactly interviewing someone with all of their mental faculties in order - and I agree with that completely.

LoveNotHate wrote:
green0star wrote:

So what? I went to business school and graduated from it when I was 19. I still lived at home then. Several years later, due to way stronger ASD symptoms, I was incapable of holding a job/working. Just because someone gets an education doesn't mean they're able to function well enough in society to work and provide for themselves.

Same goes for whoever said because he fathered a child that he should be capable of working.. wtf? Just because a male can get an erection & have an orgasm doesn't automatically mean he's fit for work.

This guy needs some serious mental health help, not to be made a mockery of and kicked when he's down. Hopefully someone in his area in the medical field recognizes this and reaches out to him.

Graduated at 19? wow

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2018, 3:35 pm

SZWell wrote:
Graduated at 19? wow

Yes, sir! 130.5 credits at BCIT's School of Business in 2 years. I was also the Chair of Business & Health Sciences on the BCIT Student Association in my 2nd year. I was the youngest in my class. The average age was 28. The oldest was a 54yo Mechanical Engineer from China. The failure rate of the program was 40% or so. It was definitely one of the most challenging things I've ever done, especially since it would be another 10 years before I realized my diagnosis. Even back then, though, when I would have the answer before others realized what the question was I had a classmate say "It must be some sort of Autism.." which I thought was insulting & offensive at the time, but in 20/20 hindsight.. he was right.

SZWell
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 May 2018, 4:28 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
SZWell wrote:
Graduated at 19? wow

Yes, sir! 130.5 credits at BCIT's School of Business in 2 years. I was also the Chair of Business & Health Sciences on the BCIT Student Association in my 2nd year. I was the youngest in my class. The average age was 28. The oldest was a 54yo Mechanical Engineer from China. The failure rate of the program was 40% or so. It was definitely one of the most challenging things I've ever done, especially since it would be another 10 years before I realized my diagnosis. Even back then, though, when I would have the answer before others realized what the question was I had a classmate say "It must be some sort of Autism.." which I thought was insulting & offensive at the time, but in 20/20 hindsight.. he was right.

That's awesome, adding you to my autistic heroes list as I martyr some more for the less talented group

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2018, 7:12 am

SZWell wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:
SZWell wrote:
Graduated at 19? wow

That's awesome, adding you to my autistic heroes list as I martyr some more for the less talented group

:lol: If only you believed the biggest accomplishment of my life.. much more worthy of that list, IMO. But hey, it's your list & you set the criteria. 8)

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2018, 3:07 pm

green0star wrote:
I mean don't get me wrong, the dude has a kid so if he's able to have sex then he should be able to work and be on his own. But something tells me there's a lot more going on in the bigger picture of this situation.

After a while I got bored to death with the video. To make a long story short, he strikes me as a slacker.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2018, 8:28 pm

LoveNotHate wrote:

Well, he is an adult, not a child ordered to do chores. Unless there was an agreement that his staying at his parent's house was incumbent on him doing chores, I don't see why that's relevant.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2018, 12:39 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
LoveNotHate wrote:

Well, he is an adult, not a child ordered to do chores. Unless there was an agreement that his staying at his parent's house was incumbent on him doing chores, I don't see why that's relevant.

Um, how can you not see how it's relevant? :?

If he's not paying rent, the least he could do is help clean & maintain the family home and property with his labour in lieu of contributing cash towards the costs of him living there.

That's how it's relevant. The outside observer would be plenty more tolerant of the guy if he at least did SOMETHING to contribute to his parents' household if he can't work a job and pay money.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2018, 1:07 am

goldfish21 wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
LoveNotHate wrote:

If he's not paying rent, the least he could do is help clean & maintain the family home and property with his labour in lieu of contributing cash towards the costs of him living there.

That's how it's relevant. The outside observer would be plenty more tolerant of the guy if he at least did SOMETHING to contribute to his parents' household if he can't work a job and pay money.

Well, yes - - if that had been agreed upon when he first moved in as a condition of his of his living there.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2018, 1:17 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
LoveNotHate wrote:

Well, yes - - if that had been agreed upon when he first moved in as a condition of his of his living there.

*smh*

You're not understanding this.. perhaps because it's an "unwritten rule," or a "non verbally communicated general rule of social society," sort of thing. I might be misinterpreting your post, but it seems as if you're oblivious to this particular "social rule," due to ASD.

Even without an verbal conversation or written contractual agreement, it's simply generally expected that adult children living in their parents' home do chores/housework/cleaning/property maintenance etc to help their parents out, and ESPECIALLY so if they're not contributing financially. His parents likely expect it, any outside observer, too.. so when people learn that he's not even doing what he can by helping his parents out with his labour instead of rent money, they judge him quite harshly & negatively for it. Depending on his own diagnosis & level of awareness about this stuff, he may not even realize any of these things, either.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2018, 1:24 am

goldfish21 wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
LoveNotHate wrote:

*smh*

You're not understanding this.. perhaps because it's an "unwritten rule," or a "non verbally communicated general rule of social society," sort of thing. I might be misinterpreting your post, but it seems as if you're oblivious to this particular "social rule," due to ASD.

Even without an verbal conversation or written contractual agreement, it's simply generally expected that adult children living in their parents' home do chores/housework/cleaning/property maintenance etc to help their parents out, and ESPECIALLY so if they're not contributing financially. His parents likely expect it, any outside observer, too.. so when people learn that he's not even doing what he can by helping his parents out with his labour instead of rent money, they judge him quite harshly & negatively for it. Depending on his own diagnosis & level of awareness about this stuff, he may not even realize any of these things, either.

Perhaps. But usually if parents want compensation from a grown child whose had to move back in, some sort of agreement concerning payment of rent, or the performance of certain chores is a condition immediately brought up.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2018, 1:37 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
LoveNotHate wrote:

*smh*

Perhaps. But usually if parents want compensation from a grown child whose had to move back in, some sort of agreement concerning payment of rent, or the performance of certain chores is a condition immediately brought up.

Not necessarily.

Not if your father is like mine and he just :roll: & carries on doing work that's required without asking me or anyone else to help him get it done - not realizing that I/we may be oblivious to the fact that we're expected to be helping out.

When my functioning level is lower, I overlook things like this. When it's higher, I anticipate work that needs to be done & get it done without being asked. It's the latter that's the NT norm.