Air Marshal shoots and kills suspect

Page 1 of 4 [ 62 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Ladysmokeater
Veteran
Veteran

Location: North of Atlanta, South of Boston, East of the Mississippi, and West of the Atlantic

07 Dec 2005, 4:42 pm

Quote:
Air Marshal Shoots, Kills Threatening Passenger at Miami Airport

Wednesday, December 07, 2005

MIAMI — Federal air marshals shot and killed a 44-year-old American Airlines passenger who claimed to have a bomb in his bag and ran off of the plane, a Department of Homeland Security official confirmed to FOX News.

The marshals pursued and tackled the suspect, a U.S. citizen, on the jet bridge between the terminal and the Boeing 757. It was not immediately clear how many shots were fired, but one passenger said four to five shots were heard.

“The passenger … indicated he had a bomb in his bag,” Dave Adams, a federal air marshals spokesman, told FOX News in a telephone interview.

“The subject was incapacitated,” Adams said.

American Airlines flight 924 was arriving at Miami-Dade International Airport on Wednesday when the incident occurred.

"There was an incident at the Jet Bridge involving FLT 924 departing Miami for Orlando [after arriving from Colombia]. A federal marshal was involved in the incident. No further comment," American Airlines spokesman Tim Smith said in a statement.

Homeland Security officials confirmed to FOX News that this is the first time a federal air marshal has discharged his or her weapon since the Sept. 11, 2001, terror attacks.

Footage showed medical personnel boarding American Airlines flight 924 with a stretcher and around 25 to 30 police vehicles on the scene.

Sources told FOX News the person may have been unbalanced. One witness, Mary Gardner, said the man frantically ran down the aisle and a woman, apparently his wife, said he suffered from bipolar disorder and hadn't taken his medication.

"Bipolar disorder is a treatable medical illness marked by extreme changes in mood, thought, energy and behavior," according to the Depression and Bipolar Support Alliance Web site.

Gardner told WTVJ in Miami that the man ran down the aisle from the rear of the plane. "He was frantic, his arms flailing in the air," she said, adding that a woman followed, shouting, "My husband! My husband!"

The plane arrived from Colombia and its final destination was Orlando.

The incident forced airport officials to close Concourse D but the rest of the airport remained open. The concourse has been reopened.

Aviation experts postulated that the situation must have been seen as a dangerous one if the air marshal drew his gun.

“The conditions [that would warrant an air marshal to fire his or her weapon] ought to be one where he has identified a threat to security” on the flight, Ron Goldman, an aviation attorney and pilot, told FOX News.

Martin Gonzalez, spokesman for Colombia's civil aviation agency, told The Associated Press in Bogota, "The flight left normally with no problems."

Rep. Dennis Kucinich described the incident as "regrettable" but defended the air marshals' actions.

“In this post-9/11 world we can’t take for granted” any incident that may pose a threat, he said.

“The system that we have in place does work.”

FOX News' Catherine Herridge and the Associated Press contributed to this report.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,177996,00.html

I have no problem with this. It was unfortunate, but if a person says they have a bomb on an aircraft or in an airport and is acting irationally, there is no room for hesitating. The Air Marshal did what was nessary in what was precieved as a threat to the passengers and crew of that flight.

Larval
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2005, 5:50 pm

Agreed. Though it is sad to know that even today, guns are not only a staple but the flagship of defense, though. Some sort of high penetration hand held dart gun/tranquilizer would have made for a happier ending.

Sure, a terrorist may be able to take something to cancel out the tranq before setting out on his mission and some tranqs might cause an allergic reaction that kills innocents. None of that makes guns the best solution.

Remnant
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2005, 7:46 pm

"In this post-9/11 world it is OK to shoot people on suspicion."

Sick of it. Really sick of it.

ELLCIM
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2005, 8:10 pm

Remnant wrote:

I'm sick of it as much as you are, but what if he detonated the bomb? Then everyone on the plane or in the airport terminal would be dead, instead of just him.

The marshalls chose the lesser of two evils.

Remnant
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2005, 8:23 pm

He didn't have a bomb. I think that someone gaslighted him.

Ladysmokeater
Veteran
Veteran

Location: North of Atlanta, South of Boston, East of the Mississippi, and West of the Atlantic

07 Dec 2005, 9:18 pm

Remnant wrote:
He didn't have a bomb. I think that someone gaslighted him.

He was running up the asles of the plane, and then ran out shouting "I have a Bomb"

It was justified. How could they know that he wasnt telling the truth? How could they take that chance? It he was that mentally unstable that he was shouting that for no reason, he should not have been on the plane in the first place. Peroid.

Its a sad situation, sure, but I would not hesitate to fire upon a suspect under the same or simmilar cirmstances if I were armed.

Remnant
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2005, 9:35 pm

And he LEFT THE PLANE with that alleged bomb in his hand. Excuse me, but how is that such a dangerous situation? If he had been correct about it being a bomb, he would have been trying to save lives. If he was taking a bomb away from a plane, was he increasing or decreasing the danger to passengers?

It's post-9/11 all right. It is the era of, if you are an officer who is authorized to use a gun, you can be as dim-witted as you want to be. Gun down someone who is in full flight away from other people carrying what might be a bomb, there's an act of real genius. Better make him dead before he gets too far away from the plane, otherwise we don't know what might happen. Better yet, shoot him at point blank range with several men on him. There's how we act real brave and real professional.

Remnant
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2005, 10:03 pm

Let me throw another idea in here. It's been four years now since 9/11 and this thing is snowballing. It's turning into a mass psychosis, a hysteria, a mental illness. Isn't our mental health more important to us than trying to prevent the next "gotcha"? We're doing it to ourselves and we're not even trying not to do it to ourselves. When we condone the murder of a man who "might be", we've lost the part of ourselves that the terrorists aimed to take away from us. We're not safe without it, we're a danger to ourselves and others.

Larval
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2005, 10:12 pm

Well, A) he might have had a bomb and B) he might have been running to detonate it in the airport itself (thus killing more ppl than if he detonated on the plane and ruining flights on other planes as well).

In retrospect, A) is false and thus B) is impossible. But hindsight is 20/20. Ideally they would have been able to take him down w/o having to shoot him. But they didn't. Did they do wrong?

Well if he had an actual bomb, then no they didn't do wrong. But he had no bomb. So did they make a mistake?

My question is: why use a gun in the first place? A dart might have done just as well, or maybe laughing gas. I dunno but the point is they didn't have to kill him to knock him out at a distance.

Sean
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2005, 11:20 pm

Remnant wrote:

When someone is running towards a crowd screaming that they have a bomb, that is as good of probable cause to shoot somene as you can get. When the investigation is done, those two Air Marshals wil have a very promising career ahead of them.

Larval wrote:
Agreed. Though it is sad to know that even today, guns are not only a staple but the flagship of defense, though. Some sort of high penetration hand held dart gun/tranquilizer would have made for a happier ending.

Sure, a terrorist may be able to take something to cancel out the tranq before setting out on his mission and some tranqs might cause an allergic reaction that kills innocents. None of that makes guns the best solution.

In other words: you want them to use some politically correct BS method that might not get the job done and possibly cause alot of people to get killed in the process just to appease your delicate feelings about guns and violence. :evil:

Remnant
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2005, 11:29 pm

He left the airplane. He actually removed himself and his "bomb" from a much more dangerous target, or are you forgetting that airplanes carry tens of thousands of gallons of flammable fuels and that other airplanes are close by?

The federal marshalls shot the man to death as they were holding him down.

They couldn't take the chance that he was just what he appeared to be, someone who was freaking out and running away from the plane? So they had to hold him down and put bullets in his brain because he couldn't stop himself from freaking out? God I'm glad I'm not from this planet.

Sarcastic_Name
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2005, 11:51 pm

Am I the only one who thinks it's kind of dangerous to fire a gun on an air plane? I see nothing wrong with having one if you need to, but a dart gun would seem a lot less dangerous for everyone.
*Reads article*
Oh, not on the plane. Then why does it matter that he has a bomb? If they had him restrained (if tackled means restrained), any furtehr reaction is just over reacting. Post 9-11 or not, this could've been avoided.

Larval
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2005, 12:50 am

Sean wrote:
Larval wrote:

In other words: you want them to use some politically correct BS method that might not get the job done and possibly cause alot of people to get killed in the process just to appease your delicate feelings about guns and violence. :evil:

No, if the guy was say wearing a dart proof but not bullet proof vest, or had taken a few darts and was not slowing down, then I would say that it is more acceptable to use a gun against that guy.

Also, I think using a gun to take down an unarmed man (who is known to be unarmed) who is trying to commit robbery of a convinience store is unjustifiable.

What happened with this mentally ill person lies somewhere between the two.

The important thing to remember is this: THEY DIDN'T HAVE TO USE A GUN TO STOP THE GUY OR ENSURE THE SAFETY OF ANYONE ELSE!! If they really had to shoot him with a bullet, then fine they had to. But they didn't. Not this time around.

Of course the actual marshall, I'm not going to really blame him. He didn't have a choice: in the sense that A) he is required to carry a gun and use it if deemed necessary and B) I'm pretty sure hes not allowed to carry chemical weapons, including dart gun tranqs.

Now, if they had been able to use a dart gun, and they hit the guy, and he kept running and screaming that he was going to blow up the airport, then I can see why they might get trigger-happy.

D-R-J
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

08 Dec 2005, 1:56 am

The real Fair and balanced News not that Fox News Channel B.S.

MIAMI, Florida (CNN) -- A 44-year-old U.S. citizen who claimed to have a bomb was shot and killed when air marshals opened fire on a boarding bridge at the Miami airport, several sources told CNN. No bomb was found.

American Airlines Flight 924 was in Miami on a stopover during a flight from Medellin, Colombia, to Orlando, Florida, when the man, identified as Rigoberto Alpizar, said there was a bomb in his carry-on backpack, a Department of Homeland Security official said.

Alpizar was confronted by a team of federal air marshals, who followed him down the boarding bridge and ordered him to get on the ground, the official said.

When Alpizar appeared to reach into his backpack, he was shot and wounded, the official said, adding that the marshals' actions were consistent with their training. Officials said later that the man died of his injuries.

Upon investigation, there was no evidence that Alpizar had a bomb, an official said.

Alpizar was traveling with a woman and had arrived in Miami on a plane from Quito, Ecuador, federal officials said. He and the woman began arguing before getting off the plane in Miami, two officials said.

A passenger, Mary Gardner, told WTVJ in Miami that the man ran frantically down the aisle from the rear of the plane, arms flailing, and that the woman accompanying him said that her husband was bipolar and had not taken his medication, according to The Associated Press.

After he got off the plane in Miami and went through customs, he got on the Orlando-bound plane and said he had a bomb, Air Marshal Service spokesman Dave Adams said.

Air marshals asked him to get off the plane, which he did, but when they asked him to put his bag down, he refused, Adams said. Alpizar then approached the marshals in an aggressive manner, at which point two or three shots were fired, he said.

Karlina Griffith, translating for her grandmother, witness Miriam Delgado, told WFOR television that Delgado heard three gunshots before people started running and "going crazy."

Officials could not confirm if Alpizar suffered from mental illness. His mother-in-law told WKMG television in Orlando that he suffered from bipolar disorder, but his brother-in-law, Steven Buechner, told CNN he was unaware of any mental problems.

Alpizar moved to the United States from Costa Rica in 1986 and worked for Home Depot, Buechner said. He and his wife had been in South America since the day after Thanksgiving to help her uncle, a volunteer dentist, Buechner said.

Alpizar and his wife lived in Maitland, Florida, just a few miles north of Orlando, and they had no children, Buechner said.

The killing marks the first time a federal air marshal has fired a weapon at an individual since the program was bolstered after the September 11, 2001, terrorist attacks.

Footage from the scene showed armed SWAT team members carrying rifles outside the aircraft, along with more than a dozen police vehicles. Paramedics were standing on the stairway to the aircraft.

Investigators took the backpack and two other pieces of Alpizar's luggage onto the tarmac, and an explosives team blew the bag open by firing a bottle full of water at it. The water is used to effectively defuse any explosive device by separating its components.

The Boeing 757, which can hold about 180 passengers, was due to take off for Orlando at 2:18 p.m. ET. It had arrived in Miami at 12:16 p.m. ET, according to the airline's Web site. No other flights at Miami International were disrupted Wednesday, an airport official said.

Douglas Adams

Sean
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2005, 2:23 am

The only difference between the Fox story and the CNN story is that the CNN story came later when there was more time to sort things out. There are no changes in the most importnt details. Whatever story you go by, the guy clearly singled himself out for natural selseciton.

stellacotton
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

08 Dec 2005, 6:22 am

Remnant wrote:
Let me throw another idea in here. It's been four years now since 9/11 and this thing is snowballing. It's turning into a mass psychosis, a hysteria, a mental illness. Isn't our mental health more important to us than trying to prevent the next "gotcha"? We're doing it to ourselves and we're not even trying not to do it to ourselves. When we condone the murder of a man who "might be", we've lost the part of ourselves that the terrorists aimed to take away from us. We're not safe without it, we're a danger to ourselves and others.

Let me throw out an idea myself-after 9/11 most people are aware of the heightened security and possible parnoia it has caused. So, who in their right mind would profess to have a bomb especially on an airplane or anywhere else for that matter? Granted the gentleman was bi-polar and having some sort of an attack/reaction to not having his meds-but once you state you have a bomb-the whole scenario changes. at some point people have to be responsible for their actions-going on a trip?-take your medicine and dont run up and down the aisle of the plane screaming you have a bomb! Then your life wont be in the crosshairs of those who must make a split second decision to figure out your menstal state and speculate as to your threat seriousness. They couldnt taser him for fear that if he did have some sort of bomb it might detonate it-they thought a dart/tranquilizer still might enable him to push some sort of remote if he did as he stated have a bomb-Their hands were tied and he tied them. I feel sorry for his wife and loved ones but I dont blame the policies of the air marshals for his death-The fault lies squarely at his own feet.