Sean
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2005, 1:43 am

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20051229/tc_nm/protect_ipod_dc
Protect your ears: limit iPod use
By Charnicia E. Huggins
Thu Dec 29, 2:22 PM ET

NEW YORK (Reuters Health) - The ever-popular earbuds used with many iPods and other MP3 players may be more stylish than the bigger and bulkier earmuff-type headphones, but they may also be more damaging to one's hearing, according to a Northwestern professor.

"No one really knows for sure" the levels at which iPod users listen to music, but "what we do know is that young people like their music loud and seldom worry about any decline in hearing ability," Dean Garstecki, chairman of Northwestern's communication sciences and disorders department, told Reuters Health.

The earbuds commonly used by iPod listeners are placed directly into the ear and can boost the audio signal by as many as nine decibels -- comparable to the difference in sound intensity between an alarm clock and a lawn mower, Garstecki said. Yet, the earbuds do not always fit snugly in the ear, but often allow background noise to seep in, which causes listeners to crank up the volume.

In turning up the volume to drown out background noise, however, people "don't realize they may be causing some damage" to their hearing, Garstecki said.

This danger is not confined to MP3 users, such as iPod owners. Earbuds are also used with compact disc players and Walkmans. Audiologists have cautioned about the potential risk of hearing loss associated with such devices since the 1980s. The longer battery life and the greater music storage capacity of MP3 players, in comparison to Walkmans and compact discs, however, encourage longer periods of uninterrupted music listening.

"It's the combination of high intensity and long duration that creates the unique problem with the iPod," Garstecki said.

Various researchers have reported an increased risk of hearing loss associated with headphone use in the general population. Despite this, an MTV survey conducted earlier this year revealed that most teens and young adults do not think hearing loss from loud music is a big problem, even though over half of those surveyed said they experienced ringing in their ears after concerts. When told that the loud music may lead to lifelong hearing loss, however, most of the survey participants said they would consider protective measures in the future.

Eliminating iPod earbuds in favor of larger earmuff-style headphones as one of those protective measures may be an unattractive option for many style-conscious music lovers. Instead, Garstecki recommends adherence to the 60 percent/30 minute rule. Listeners should set their iPods and other MP3 players to sound levels that are no more than 60 percent of the maximum volume -- i.e. just over halfway between "off" and "maximum" volume -- and use their earbuds for no more than 30 minutes a day.

Those who use muff-style headphones at 60 percent volume can increase the duration to an hour a day, and those who listen at volumes significantly lower than 60 percent of the maximum can use their music players for many more hours. Also, newer, more snug-fitting earbuds are "likely to be safer" if they prevent users from turning up the volume to eliminate background noise, Garstecki said.

"It's when you start cranking it up that you have to limit the dosage," he explained.

Noise-canceling headphones are another option for those who desire to listen to music for an extended period of time. These devices, while a bit more costly and more visible than earbuds, partially or fully eliminate background noise so that users do not have to crank up the volume of their music for that purpose.

KingdomOfRats
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2005, 12:48 am

In Europe,volume levels have to be at,or below a certain limit by law,think it's far lower than that in the US because someone I know has had the volume limit on his ipod unlocked to get it on higher volume.

>>>help to keep bullying off our community,report it!

Sophist
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2005, 11:28 am

It's my understanding that any kind of sound which is constantly bombarding ones ears (especially head phones which are close range sounds) are putting one at risk for damage. The ears can only take so much. Especially if one has mini speakers pushed into the ear canal playing hard rock or heavy metal. Though any kind of music I doubt is good.

I try to stay away from using headphones on a consistant basis, though I use mine occasionally. I even try not to play the radio too loudly (i.e., so it's booming and shaking the surroundings). I play it loudly enough so I can understand the words (for the most part). But usually it ends up being kinda loud anyways because I have some CAPD symptoms and I like my music and movies louder so I can understand better what is being said (or sung).

Actually, hearing loss is my main hesitation in ever purchasing an iPod or anything of the like, though I sort of like the idea of being able to carry around my fave tunes wherever I go.

My partner's autism science blog, Cortical Chauvinism - http://corticalchauvinism.wordpress.com/

ilikedragons
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2005, 11:43 am

What about the movies? I had to put my fingers in my ears the whole time. I dont think anything happened and I was really happy the movie was over.

Namiko
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2005, 8:13 pm

Well, that's what they invented subtitles for. I am also trying to learn how to read lips better so that I can tell what people are saying, even if I can't understand them (ie, it's too loud in the background).

kevv729
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2006, 5:29 am

I've alway learned not to the volume on to high end any way or shape or form so I have My ears even yet Today Jan. 01, 2006.

Serissa
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2006, 10:53 am

I'm really sensitive to any sound being too loud so I think that I'm probably pretty good; plus I don't use ear buds with my ipod. Or at least I hope I'm not going deaf.

Sea Gull
Sea Gull

07 Jan 2006, 5:17 am

Like an idiot, in 2001 and 2002 when I was 14-15 I used to play music top volume in my headphones. Lost a tad bit of hearing. Not all that much. Rest is caused by the loads of wax I get. Since then I keep it to a specific level and although I do still use headphones, they often irritate me now so I don't as much as I used to.

And I also don't use those earbuds (I did for a time in 2002) The sound quality is crap and they are irritating.

ed
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2006, 8:29 am

I have a set of Sony earbuds that are "closed" - that is, they seal inside the ear to shut out exterior noise. They probably aren't as effective as noise-cancelling headphones, but they are pretty good at it, and they sound great. I almost never have to turn the volume up very high. Cost me $75, but they are well worth it.