Page 1 of 3 [ 44 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

familiar_stranger
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2009, 1:36 pm

1930s depression could make a return!

the first world war lead to poverty throughout the world and as a result hitler gained power and started world war two, we're starting to develop a depression again and so could this lead to someone gaining favour and taking the world into an even darker place?

Khan_Sama
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2009, 1:41 pm

Yes.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eS2rJP-udUs[/youtube]

Have fun all of you, I'll be living up in a cozy little hill station with a small population of under 10,000 up in the Himalayas before 2012.

Good thing you're one of those who realises that history repeats itself.

Woodpecker
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2009, 2:39 pm

I think that the you tube film which seems to equate Obama to Hitler is in very bad taste, I think that the two men are not the same.

Diagnosed under the DSM5 rules with autism spectrum disorder, under DSM4 psychologist said would have been AS (299.80) but I suspect that I am somewhere between 299.80 and 299.00 (Autism) under DSM4.

Khan_Sama
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2009, 2:40 pm

Their methods are similar. Otherwise, they are completely opposite.

Xelebes
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2009, 3:17 pm

Everybody says Great depression don't have any thoughts on this being another Long Depression, where it may ot be as deep, but lasts 3 to 5 times longer.

http://xelebes.wordpress.com/
My Blog

twoshots
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2009, 4:03 pm

Khan_Sama wrote:

Justify.

Inventor
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2009, 6:58 pm

All politics uses the same methods, some just get away with more, some are better at the coverup.

The Recession is two quarters of declining GNP. I think it is just now official with a year of slow down leading up to the last two quarters of actual decline.

I think it is caused by elections.

I do not know the actual definition of Depression. 1929 to 1933 was decline followed by a stagnant world economy. As there was only one I know of, The Great Depression, it is hard measure.

Now we have food stamps, we have excess housing, and topping the Great Depression was The Dust Bowl, which complicated things.

The answer was government investment in things others would not, rural electrification, telephone service, and now broadband, highways.

War started when our protest of Japan invading Korea and China was met by Pearl Harbor, and in the dumbest act of all time, Hitler choosing the next day to declare war on America. That was just words, he had no way to attack us, so maybe his dumbest act was to attack Russia.

Now all we have are some micro states and private armies issuing threats, They may have the bomb but if they use it they are gone within the hour.

I am in favor of a long depression. it exposes corruption, and it takes a while for government and political systems to fall. The only way to get rid of corruption is get rid of the whole system and bar them from the next.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2009, 7:16 pm

The next war will not be fought nation-to-nation, but state-to state, city-to-city, and neighborhood-to-neighborhood after the collapse of the majority of the world governments, which will use their ever-dwindling military resources to protect the former leaders from the howling mobs.

Then again, maybe not...

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2009, 9:17 pm

Inventor wrote:

War started when our protest of Japan invading Korea and China was met by Pearl Harbor, and in the dumbest act of all time, Hitler choosing the next day to declare war on America. That was just words, he had no way to attack us, so maybe his dumbest act was to attack Russia.

Nazi Germany declared war in the U.S. on Dec 11, 1941 in accordance with the terms of the Tripartite Agreement.

Which fitted well into FDR's plan to pursue the war in Europe (in defense of Great Britain) with vigor. The Pacific War did not get adequate resources until 1944.

ruveyn

monty
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2009, 11:53 pm

Khan_Sama wrote:

Lets see... Hitler had a hate-based philosophy and scapegoated an ethnic minority. Hitler seized power by blowing up his country's government house and blaming it on the Jews and commies. Hitler favored devouring nearby countries. How does this compare to the election of a politician that you simply dislike?

Godwin's Law.

monty
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2009, 12:01 am

Inventor wrote:

I am in favor of a long depression. it exposes corruption, and it takes a while for government and political systems to fall. The only way to get rid of corruption is get rid of the whole system and bar them from the next.

Japan has had a long depression, which did little to end corruption or lead to a better system. Instead, some of the things that were better about Japan were eliminated (like many corporate commitments to employees) while the problems in their society only increased. The former Soviet block experienced more of a sudden collapse, and the result was an increase in crime, women forced into prostitution, loss of pensions for the elderly reduction in health and education resources, and a new regime of corrupt oligarchs.

Why assume that economic hardship is a catalyst for good? If a society can't improve in good times, why will it do so in bad times??

Dokken
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2009, 12:10 am

ruveyn wrote:
Nazi Germany declared war in the U.S. on Dec 11, 1941 in accordance with the terms of the Tripartite Agreement.

Which fitted well into FDR's plan to pursue the war in Europe (in defense of Great Britain) with vigor. The Pacific War did not get adequate resources until 1944.

ruveyn

“Your boys are not going to be sent into any foreign wars,” that was a great campaign promise from FDR during 1940. Sadly, FDR told a fib. Poor FDR, liar, liar, pants on fire...

Some say he knew Japan was going to attack Pearl Harbor or attack us in general. That shouldn't really matter though. The fact that Pearl Harbor happened under FDR reign of power shows just how incompetent he was.

Khan_Sama
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2009, 1:16 am

twoshots wrote:
Khan_Sama wrote:

Justify.

http://www.davidicke.com/content/view/18281

Not that I'm a David Icke fan, but he has, however, given a very good argument regarding Obama.

After all, Obama claimed to have campaigned in 57 states. :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=GB&hl=e ... m1KOBMg1Y8

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2009, 2:02 am

Khan_Sama wrote:
Yes.

Have fun all of you, I'll be living up in a cozy little hill station with a small population of under 10,000 up in the Himalayas before 2012.

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooo! :hmph:

GoatOnFire
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2009, 3:07 am

Anything could happen, but the presence of so many nukes around the world makes any prospect of WWIII more, well, interesting...

Khan_Sama wrote:
Yes.

Obama has a powerful public presence that is similar to Hitler or Vlad Putin. However, politically speaking, he is on the left which puts him closer to Josef Stalin than Adolf Hitler. Hence Obama should grow a thick Stalin mustache instead of a Charlie Chaplin-like Hitler mustache before he kills 10 million people. After all, killing 10 million people has to be done in style. :clown:

Khan_Sama
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2009, 3:28 am

All I asserted was that Obama uses the same techniques as Hitler used. Many other individuals used these techniques throughout history. Julius Caesar and Wang Mang, for example. Hitler just happens to be the most infamous of the lot.

Hitler, Mao, and Stalin created personality cults. Most of the world pictures these individuals as evil barbaric mass murderers. Personality cults are always associated with evil, bad men. So why is Obama lauded as a hero?

When Hitler, Mao, and Stalin first came into power, they were saviours, as far as their citizens were concerned. I see no reason why Obama's condition is any different.

Time will tell.