Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

gina-ghettoprincess
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2009, 6:21 am

http://news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/default.stm

Mine is 16th May, it doesn't say anything for the year of my birth (1995), but on that day in 1943, the Germans crushed a Jewish uprising in the Warsaw ghetto. My birthday is also three days before Anne Boleyn was executed (but that was centuries ago so it ain't on the website). My brother's birthday is the day after the Tiananmen Square massacre in 1989. My mum's birthday is the day after 9-11 (also the day I had my tooth taken out in hospital, which is of course nowhere near the same scale, LOL).

What happened on your birthday?

y es como un semestre"

happypuff
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

28 Mar 2009, 6:53 am

On the day of my birthday people went for a stroll on the moon for the first time :)
(except silly americans believe it happened on 20th july)

b9
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2009, 8:50 am

Quote:
What was the news on your birthday

i did not listen to the news on the day i was born.

gina-ghettoprincess
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2009, 9:04 am

b9 wrote:
Quote:
What was the news on your birthday

i did not listen to the news on the day i was born.

LOL me neither. :lol:

y es como un semestre"

pakled
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2009, 12:03 pm

I was the news on the day I was born...;) j/k..;)

Actually, nothing much happened on 11/18/57. I looked it up, and there was a Communist Youth Convention, Elvis was top 10, and they started a beltline around Raleigh...;)

28 Mar 2009, 12:53 pm

Dang, I didn't see my birthday on there. :(

oscuria
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2009, 4:10 pm

mine pretty much had "depressing" "devastating" and "suffering" as headlines

pretty much fits me.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2009, 9:23 am

gina-ghettoprincess wrote:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/default.stm

Mine is 16th May, it doesn't say anything for the year of my birth (1995), but on that day in 1943, the Germans crushed a Jewish uprising in the Warsaw ghetto. My birthday is also three days before Anne Boleyn was executed (but that was centuries ago so it ain't on the website). My brother's birthday is the day after the Tiananmen Square massacre in 1989. My mum's birthday is the day after 9-11 (also the day I had my tooth taken out in hospital, which is of course nowhere near the same scale, LOL).

What happened on your birthday?

August 24, 79 c.e.. Vesuvius errupts.

ruveyn

anna-banana
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2009, 2:54 pm

23-03-1983: Reagan launches Cold War into space

:(

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2009, 9:49 pm

On January 28, 1986, Challenger and its crew were destroyed shortly after launch. The failure of an O-ring seal of a joint on one of the SRBs was the primary cause of the Challenger loss. SRBs are constructed in four cylindrical sections that must be sealed together completely to prevent the escape of the intensely hot by-products of the burning fuel during launch. O-rings are rubber rings that play a crucial part in ensuring the seal. The cold weather on the launch day made the rubber of an O-ring on the joint between the bottom two segments of the right SRB brittle, which, combined with the faulty design of the joint, allowed hot gases from the burning solid rocket fuel to escape. The gases and flames burned through the metal holding the rocket in position. When the rocket broke loose, it ruptured the side of the external fuel tank, allowing the liquid hydrogen and oxygen to mix prematurely and explode.

Link http://www.stclement.pvt.k12.il.us/Stud ... ashes.html

That was when that poor school teacher, Christa McAuliffe was killed. She would've been the first teacher in space. :(

Well I was about 2 when this happened but I can remember how upset everyone was. It was right on my birthday. I remember the TV being on and my family watching the shuttle taking off. I guess it blew up amid the sky.

Meh....right on my birth-day they were busy doing a lot of nuclear testing and I guess AIDS started becoming an epidemic. Probably why I turned out to be a mutant. :ninja:

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2009, 10:04 pm

Elvis Presley wore his gold lamé suit for the last time during a performance at the Maple Leaf Gardens in Toronto Canada.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Tragedyanne
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

01 Apr 2009, 6:14 pm

Lots of death, it seems.

1988: Thousands die in Halabja gas attack
Thousands of people die in a poison gas attack in the northern Iraqi town of Halabja.

1988: Three shot dead at Milltown Cemetery
A gunman kills three mourners and injures at least 50 people attending a funeral for IRA members shot dead in Gibraltar.

Natasha Richardson died on my birthday this year.