Page 2 of 7 [ 103 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next

Do you think that some people actually deserve to be bullied?
Yes 9%  9%  [ 32 ]
Yes 9%  9%  [ 32 ]
Maybe 4%  4%  [ 15 ]
Maybe 4%  4%  [ 15 ]
No 25%  25%  [ 87 ]
No 25%  25%  [ 87 ]
Judging from your examples, yes. 4%  4%  [ 15 ]
Judging from your examples, yes. 4%  4%  [ 15 ]
You're being unfair to the people in your examples 7%  7%  [ 23 ]
You're being unfair to the people in your examples 7%  7%  [ 23 ]
Total votes : 344

Yupa
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2005, 10:15 pm

fahreeq wrote:
People have used that same reasoning to justify bullying people on the autism spectrum. The people who view our behaviors as wrong are often the same ones who say things like "If you tried harder to fit in, you wouldn't be bullied as badly" and other crap like that.

Only because that "crap" is largely true.
I dont' completely agree with people who say things like that, but while you can't stop being or acting Autistic, and there's no reason you should, certain kinds of behaviours are completely grotesque and should not be tolerated in -any- circles.
When one talks of violence, drugs, or certain bodily fluids with relish, then one deserves to be rattled around.
Oh, yes, and I'd just like you to know that you didn't provide any convincing arguments against that reasoning. Perhaps because there are none.

fahreeq
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2005, 10:30 pm

Yupa wrote:
Oh, yes, and I'd just like you to know that you didn't provide any convincing arguments against that reasoning. Perhaps because there are none.

You can't "try harder" to modify whatever it is that's bothering other people if you don't even know what to change or how to change it. It may or may not be the case for John and Nick, I don't know. Going after someone's emotions does not always lead to a mutual understanding. When I was younger people tried shaking me up emotionally via bullying and "tough love" to be more social and what-not. It didn't provide the expected results, but it did provide a long-lasting inferiority complex.

Now, if these guys are willfully being buttheads, that's a different story, but I don't see how school bullying is going to improve that in the long run.

Last edited by fahreeq on 18 Dec 2005, 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GalileoAce
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2005, 10:32 pm

Yupa wrote:
TheOrangeMage wrote:
Well, "the wrong path" is a matter of peraonl preference. For Hitler, it was Jews, Mentally Handicapped, Gypsies, and others. For bullies, it's kids who don't fit in.

1.Hitler was a bigot and a general monster. He killed people for things they couldn't help, or because they had different beliefs and lifestyles.
Not because they did anything wrong.

2.I think you're missing the point of what I'm trying to say. I'm not saying that people should go on a crusade, jihad or ethnic cleansing spree, I'm just saying that a few people need to be emotionally shaken up a bit to realize that they're doing something wrong and that they need need to change their ways.
Difference.
You shouldn't equate bullies with murderers. It's like the difference between a rat and an elephant.

I don't think Hitler actually killed anyone (except during WW1), plus your actions toward the people you have listed are remarkably similar to Hitler...And if you can't see it, you're quite blind... :(

Essentially by saying they should be bullied to alter their PERSONALITY (of all things :x ) is basically the same as Hitler wanting to kill all the people that didn't meet with his personal standards...

Who Are YOU to say how people should and shouldn't act!? People like you, who think that their bullying is doing someone a favor, Really Piss Me OFF!

Yupa wrote:
fahreeq wrote:
People have used that same reasoning to justify bullying people on the autism spectrum. The people who view our behaviors as wrong are often the same ones who say things like "If you tried harder to fit in, you wouldn't be bullied as badly" and other crap like that.

Only because that "crap" is largely true.
I dont' completely agree with people who say things like that, but while you can't stop being or acting Autistic, and there's no reason you should, certain kinds of behaviours are completely grotesque and should not be tolerated in -any- circles.
When one talks of violence, drugs, or certain bodily fluids with relish, then one deserves to be rattled around.

Again...Who are you to say which behaviours are acceptable or not? What's "grotesque" to you may be completley normal to another person...

You're using mental torture to attempt to alter someone's personality so it's more pleasing to you...

"Can't you stop being gay?" ...Ever heard that line? Said by people who bully homosexual people because they don't like them being homosexual...

"The bullying will stop when you stop being like that." That's pretty much what you're saying...How is not like the above example??

Yupa, you are most definitley on the wrong path...By you standards someone should bully you till you change... But I'm not like that, I have something called tolerance.

GA

eyeenteepee
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

19 Dec 2005, 4:55 am

Yupa wrote:
If you screw yourself up bad and think it's okay, someone needs to remind you that you've taken the wrong path. That's what bullying is about, sorry to say.

Wrong wrong wrong. Bullying is about people picking on others for the egotistical benefit of the bully, or to extert power through physical and verbal abuse. It's got nothing to do with teaching people a lesson. As a civilisation, we should be well past the point of beating others because we disagree with who or what they are.
If not, then each one of us can disregard this forum, don boxing gloves and take to the ring, because I'm sure each of us could accuse the others of being screwed up or simply wrong in some respect.

Is that the kind of society you want? Seriously, follow it through to the logical conclusion of where you're going with this.

eyeenteepee
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

19 Dec 2005, 5:05 am

GalileoAce wrote:

Who Are YOU to say how people should and shouldn't act!? People like you, who think that their bullying is doing someone a favor, Really Piss Me OFF!

Me too. However, I suspect the reason for Yupa's twisted views may be a form of Stockholm Syndrome. Yupa gets beaten to a pulp, bullies win psychological victory, Yupa is convinced that he deserved it, therefore others deserve the same for making the same "mistake" that Yupa may have made.

There is no logical or sane reason for advocating bullying to force people to conform to subjective norms.

GalileoAce
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2005, 8:15 am

eyeenteepee wrote:
GalileoAce wrote:

Me too. However, I suspect the reason for Yupa's twisted views may be a form of Stockholm Syndrome. Yupa gets beaten to a pulp, bullies win psychological victory, Yupa is convinced that he deserved it, therefore others deserve the same for making the same "mistake" that Yupa may have made.

There is no logical or sane reason for advocating bullying to force people to conform to subjective norms.

I had a similar view of the "Golden Rule"

The Golden Rule says, "Do to others as you would want done to yourself."

My, being the naiive kid that I was assumed everyone followed this rule, and if someone did something to do, be it good or bad, they must want the same in return...So I often dished it straight back...And of course got confused when told off for doing such... hehe

Of course, I've since learnt that people don't follow rules.

Yupa
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2005, 9:01 am

GalileoAce wrote:
I don't think Hitler actually killed anyone (except during WW1), plus your actions toward the people you have listed are remarkably similar to Hitler...And if you can't see it, you're quite blind... :(

Essentially by saying they should be bullied to alter their PERSONALITY (of all things :x ) is basically the same as Hitler wanting to kill all the people that didn't meet with his personal standards...

Again...Who are you to say which behaviours are acceptable or not? What's "grotesque" to you may be completley normal to another person...

You're using mental torture to attempt to alter someone's personality so it's more pleasing to you...

"Can't you stop being gay?" ...Ever heard that line? Said by people who bully homosexual people because they don't like them being homosexual...

"The bullying will stop when you stop being like that." That's pretty much what you're saying...How is not like the above example??

Yupa, you are most definitley on the wrong path...By you standards someone should bully you till you change... But I'm not like that, I have something called tolerance.

GAAAAH!

1.No, I'm not saying their personalities are altered. I believe that they are at heart good people but that they just need to be moved to find that aspect of themselves.
That is not the same as saying that we should kill people based on culture, race, religion, orientation, etc.

2.As with the Eucalyptis koala guy who posted earlier, you are taking things out of context.
People like you, who take historical tragedies out of context, and use them to your PETTY ADVANTAGE, really p1ss ME off!

3.People who are gay are gay because they can't help being gay. It's natural, so there's nothing wrong with it.

4.I'm not on the wrong path. I'm surprised that anyone would be foolish enough to think I believe what I'm saying. I'm just trying to provide a convincing argument, and -THAT- is something completely different.

5.Oh, yeah, I have something called tolerance too. Tolerance for other genders, races, cultures, religions, political beliefs, sexual orientations, social classes and neurological differences.
That's not the same as tolerance for the "grotesque".
What's grotesque to me? Pretty much the same stuff that's grotesque the world over, including but not limited to meaningless violence, bodily fluids, drug abuse, and lack of honour or pride.

6.I don't remember ever saying here that =I= personally bullied anyone. Try to find a post on this topic where I said that.

Last edited by Yupa on 19 Dec 2005, 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Yupa
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2005, 9:14 am

eyeenteepee wrote:
I suspect the reason for Yupa's twisted views may be a form of Stockholm Syndrome . Yupa gets beaten to a pulp, bullies win psychological victory , Yupa is convinced that he deserved it, therefore others deserve the same for making the same "mistake" that Yupa may have made.

1. True, I have been bullied, but eventually I have always found a way to avoid it, whether it was sleeping in class, becoming a total recluse, beating them at their own game, whatever.

2. I am quite sure that I did not deserve the aforementioned bullying. Most of it happened because of where I was. You obviously know nothing about me, but that's okay because I dont' want you to. If you don't know who I am, you don't need to.
Accuse me as you will of not understanding others, but just be aware that it's an outer manifestation of your qualms with yourself.

3.I think it should be quite clear to you that I am not sane.

4. The norms I brought up are not subjective. They are universal

5.If you'd known the people I cited, you'd think differently.

6. If there is any such thing as psychological victory, I have a psychological trophy shelf.

7. Think on it. Think on it long and hard.

CRACK
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2005, 10:43 am

People who are wierd or different, no.

People who take out their frustrations by acting like annoying little twats towards others, yes!

TheViking
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2005, 12:38 pm

i think some people deserve to be bullied
mainly nazis

From a book of untruths for the weakest mind
-------
I have no faith distracting me
I know why your prayers will never be answered

Yupa
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2005, 3:04 pm

TheViking wrote:
i think some people deserve to be bullied
mainly nazis

I concur.

Yupa
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2005, 3:18 pm

CRACK wrote:

People who take out their frustrations by acting like annoying little twats towards others, yes!

Now that's what I like to hear!
That's what I wanted to hear when I posted this topic.

ljbouchard
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2005, 5:56 pm

Quote:

Does this mean that any person on the autism spectrum who stims or gets overloaded due to the frustration of dealing with the system on a daily basis are eligable to be bullied? What is not annoying to me may be annoying to you. What if I found fat people annoying. Does that mean I have the right to bully them. How about deaf people. They can be annoying.

"Only when all those who surround you are different, do you truly belong."
---------------------------------------------------
Fred Tate Little Man Tate

Chris
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

19 Dec 2005, 6:35 pm

No one deserves to be bullied, except for people who bully others just because "they deserve it". :cough: :|

There is a kid in the grade below me who everyone dislikes. He gets in trouble all the time. He is tall and a bit overweight for a twelve-year-old, and he is extremely verbal. He is also socially inept and obsessive. He calls random people Nazis and Communists and he even called me an "illegal immigrant" :roll: . He goes to extreme lengths to get attention, and he can't seem to do his work in a regular classroom. He never does his work, but he is very intelligent. The teacher's aide will ask him if he is actually listening to the lesson and he will tell her anything about what the teacher said in great detail. Give him a book and he'll read it and remember everything.
Once he was given the award of "Student of the Day" and the aide said, "Lester, you should be setting an example. You're student of the day." And he said in a ret*d voice "I don't want to be student of the day. I wanna see Uranus!"
A lot of people say bad things about him and how much they hate him. I actually feel a bit sorry for him, because he has so much potential and he's wasting it by calling people "prejudiced against him". And do I think he deserves to be bullied?

NO! On the contrary, I think that he could use a friend if he was in an environment where he could be listened to.

No one in this world deserves to be bullied. Everyone deserves the right of a friend who will listen.

Keep that in mind.

Chris

Yupa
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2005, 6:39 pm

ljbouchard wrote:
Does this mean that any person on the autism spectrum who stims or gets overloaded due to the frustration of dealing with the system on a daily basis are eligable to be bullied? What is not annoying to me may be annoying to you. What if I found fat people annoying. Does that mean I have the right to bully them. How about deaf people. They can be annoying.

But the thing is, the kinds of people you mentioned can't help who they are, and therefore it's wrong to harass them about it.

Yupa
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2005, 6:42 pm

Chris wrote:
N On the contrary, I think that he could use a friend if he was in an environment where he could be listened to.

No one in this world deserves to be bullied. Everyone deserves the right of a friend who will listen.

Keep that in mind.

Chris

The person you mentioned doesn't deserve a friend. If bullying isn't the answer for someone like that, then I'd have to say that what he needs is some serious psychiatric help....