Do you feel like your too mentally mature for your age?

Page 2 of 6 [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

kevinjh
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2012, 1:57 am

I feel mentally immature in the area of rules. I still feel like the archetype of the smallest student who always minds the rules and laws.
I feel mentally mature in the area of time perception. Time contraction occurs too frequently and severely when I'm doing something interesting or contemplating.
I feel mentally immature in the area of academics because no matter how many students end up getting beaten in their special interests (the NT kind, without the excessive data compilation), there's always someone better at one field or another.
I feel mentally mature in the area of self-help mainly because I live with the assumption that other people are only auxiliaries for when I can't help myself (incapacitated in some way).
I feel mentally mature in the linguistic component of speech because I pay too much attention to certain aspects of grammar and prosody (at the expense of others), which tends to get me close to having shutdowns.

However, my stereotypies need to be made subtler because they seem a bit immature.

Einfari
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2012, 11:55 pm

I feel a lot older than my actual age sometimes. The behaviors of most NT high schoolers besides my friends irritate me. I have always enjoyed being around adults than people my own age. I have felt college ready since I was 14 years old because high school is dull and people seem young and immature to me. I love my friends in school but Post Secondary is looking better every day. I'll most likely leave high school and go to PSEO for my senior year. It feels like time to move on from high school and start college.

Archylas
Butterfly
Butterfly

17 Jan 2012, 11:25 am

Always. I'm bad at expressing myself in most social situations though so I think most people still perceive me to behave the way I am supposed to of a typical teenager, or whatever age I am currently.

USMCnBNSFdude
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2012, 5:39 pm

You're never as mature as you think you are IMO.

And no, I don't feel older then my age. In fact, in some situations I can drop into the mindset of a 10 year old and look like a total clown.

1000Knives
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2012, 1:14 am

http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt185463.html

I wrote this post about such a thing in my life.

Ame_Neko
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

24 Jan 2012, 7:26 pm

I feel I am mentally immature. Personally.

I feel like my sub-concious is a child, and my concious is an adult, a mean one.

theaspiemusician
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Jan 2012, 8:30 pm

Yes because I find drugs and alchohol stupid.

"One pill makes you larger and one pill makes you small but the pills that mother gives you don't do anything at all"

Aitrean
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

31 Jan 2012, 7:24 pm

All of the time. I have a professional attitude, I'm a deep thinker, but also think of myself as down-to-earth. I can see hypocrisy and discrepancies from a mile away, and I never take an opinion just because I heard it. It can take days for me to seriously determine a stance on various political issues. Whenever I'm on the highly-controversial "Politics, Philosophy, and Religion" forum, I'm forced not to disclose my age. When I do, the so-called "adults" on the forum tend to shift the debate from <political issue> to <"I'm a mature adult who's x years older than you! I have experience of the real world so therefore your opinion is invalid. I remember when I was your age back in 19XX, but then I grew up, how dare you tell me what is right?! I have a degree you know!! What? Yes underwater basket-weaving is a useful degree! Only an adult of my maturity and understanding would acknowledge it's value!">

TenPencePiece
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2012, 12:34 pm

I do feel like, but often don't act that way to please others.

ocdgirl123
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2012, 8:41 pm

I feel mentally immature in some aspects but mentally mature in others.

I feel more like I am 27 than 17.

Quarky
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

03 Feb 2012, 1:33 am

Absolutely. My friends are my teachers, and I have no idea what goes on in the heads of people my age. I hate to be mean, but it doesn't seem like very much. I enjoy talking with my teachers, because they are all "business." I am too "intense," I've been told, and I never take breaks from learning. Also, I don't exactly feel any sexual attraction to anyone, ever. Which seems to be a popular topic. Gee, I sound narcissistic. :D

mackieG13
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

09 Feb 2012, 10:29 pm

Thank you for posting this!
I am twelve and have the mindset of a sixteen year old, and I have the vocabulary of a scientist in their late thirties. Sometimes, I act immature, but I believe that I may be ready for college, I mean I teach my history teacher (who has a doctorate) things sometimes.

kevinjh
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2012, 10:44 pm

Many people feel invincible and omniscient in their early adolescence. Unless a focus on the studies is sustained, this view will soon become false, it seems. Testvdo vincet.

muslimmetalhead
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2012, 11:25 pm

It woul be odd for an Aspie to be mentally mature as an essential part of Aspergers is emotional and social IMmaturity

Sempiternal
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2012, 2:06 pm

muslimmetalhead wrote:
It woul be odd for an Aspie to be mentally mature as an essential part of Aspergers is emotional and social IMmaturity

I agree with you, and though that may be true, most Aspies aren't interested in topics most would like to talk about, and since this is the adolescent forum, they'd seem more mature in that sense. Or maybe they're more intellectually mature than their peers because of certain special interests?

I, for one, have no idea whether I'm more mature or immature than my peers. :lol: I do feel more intellectually mature, but mostly in areas with my special interests, and if someone asks me a question that has to do with my interests, I usually have to water down the information for them. In one of my classes, I probably seem more mature in the sense that I get all my work done and read a book on one of my special interests instead of socializing with others. Yet I am told that I act like a child when something really upsets me or when I get really excited about something. I have meltdowns when I get frustrated, and I will start jumping around and clapping my hands when I'm happy.

fraac
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2012, 2:19 pm

I feel like the most mature person on the planet. Which would suck. Feels like I'm responsible for taking care of everyone.