(Males) does/did your body grow slower than NT's

Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

muslimmetalhead
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2012, 7:54 pm

Like I'm almost 16 but my biceps look like a 7th grader's.

It would also fit the Aspie "nerd" stereotype.

Are you the same?

Alexender
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2012, 7:58 pm

Have you ever tried working out?

That is how you get muscle, I was skinny and weak until I did wrestling one year. I am still skinny, but working out is the way to get stronger, puberty didn't have anything to do with it.

Jayo
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2012, 8:29 pm

Oh yeah...I was 14, 5' tall and weighed 80 lbs...definitely in the bottom 5% of students in Grade 9. The bullying was merciless, it's a wonder I didn't come out suffering from PTSD!! ! 8O

Now, I'm 5'11 and weigh almost 200 lbs, and have worked out regularly since my 20s. (helped with some female attention too; but lots of trial & error before things happened!!) My growth spurt started when I was about 15 or 16, later than most who began at about 13...I guess it didn't help that for many years, I avoided the lunch room b/c of the anxiety it caused me, and just ate a piece of bread, crackers, or apple on the fly while walking around in the halls or outside - but when the opportunity came to eating at a restaurant with my folks, I went to town and devoured several plates.

Luckily, the anxiety that came with ASD never compelled me to eat less :)

FJP
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

15 Mar 2012, 10:40 pm

I always looked younger than my age. In my kindergarden pictures I looked like a toddler.

I still look much younger, but at 37 that is very cool. I could easily pass for 20 to 25.

Sparx
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2012, 11:25 pm

Aspies are usually not very physically active because of coordination problems, and/or lack of interest, so it's understandable why so many of them would be small or skinny. They exercise their brains but not their bodies. :P

muslimmetalhead
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2012, 5:56 am

Alexender wrote:
Have you ever tried working out?

That is how you get muscle, I was skinny and weak until I did wrestling one year. I am still skinny, but working out is the way to get stronger, puberty didn't have anything to do with it.

I DO work out.

That is what annoys me.
Its like a special interest for me now, but it just doesn't work.

Alexender
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2012, 12:31 pm

How much are you working out(time wise) Are you eating extra? I am assuming you are skinny for most of what I am saying. Besides wrestling it was hard for me to gain weight. A year after it I added 1000 calories to my diet (2 protien bars and half a gallon of milk added) and after 3 months I gained 10 lbs. Probably not the best plan, milk is the only food that has been shown to be bad for acne, and all most all people are a little lactose intolerant. I also was working out for at least an hour a day about 6/7 days of the week. I did not use free weights because I did not feel comfortable using them. I mainly used the machines. If you are mainly concerned with looking strong then the quickest way is to work your shoulders and pecs.

If you are going to a gym then try to do 5 reps of 8. where you struggle a little to finish the last one a little. More than 8 is endurance, less is strength and strength is the muscle you can see. 8 is a good mix of that.

Jayo
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2012, 7:12 pm

Sparx wrote:
Aspies are usually not very physically active because of coordination problems, and/or lack of interest, so it's understandable why so many of them would be small or skinny. They exercise their brains but not their bodies. :P

I totally agree with this. Anything relating to team sports, an Aspie would typically get bullied out of, so it's far less appealing - almost like a catch-22 where they need to participate to develop coordination, but they need coordination to be accepted as a team player. So resorting to the gym, or swimming, or martial arts is a good way to go, to build oneself up. It definitely worked for me. But even then, at the gym I had difficulty coordinating myself while lifting weights and isolating muscles; it wasn't till my late 20s when I really got the hang of it, after having more than one person at the gym criticize me on my technique (and I even noticed their odd looks before they verbally criticized me - not sure if that speaks more to my overcoming AS as it does to how non-subtle their expression was!!) 8O

brickmack
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

27 Mar 2012, 8:53 pm

I'm tiny. Age 15, I weigh between 80 and 95 pounds depending on what part of the year it is, I'm only slightly less than average height though, and my arms are REALLY thin. Not sure why this is though, I eat a lot. And I'm physically very weak.

Albirea
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Cannot be determined due to excessive knowledge of momentum

27 Mar 2012, 9:22 pm

Well, my Aspie friendcrush has always been really tall. He's 6' 6" now.

zzmondo
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2012, 9:23 pm

I was always average height, I'm actually growing again and eating a lot more food and gaining some weight. My arms look smaller and I look skinny to some people, but that's mostly my metabolism doing that work. I'm actually at a healthy weight, I just look skinny.

SanityTheorist
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2012, 12:38 pm

Well I have poor muscle tone but I grew taller faster than others did.

Currently working on getting in a studio to record my solo album 40+ tracks written.

Chatroom nicks: MetalFluttershy/MetalTwilight/SanityTheorist

izzeme
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2012, 7:46 am

i dont really have much muscle tone either, but i am quite tall (about 6'6), however, that didn't start untill about my 4th year in high school (16 years of age), i always was in the shortest 10% of the class, then in 2 months over summer, i shot up to be the tallest by far, and stayed that way.

however, if you look at me, i look not strong at all, perhaps not even strong enough to lift my own weight (aka, stand up straight), however, i appear to have above normal control over my muscles, making me stronger then some of my friends that work out daily.

for example, those who work out need to be with 2 people to carry a keg from one place to another, i stack then 2-high on my own.
it seems that i am able to use a much higher portion of my inert strength then most others, making me stronger with less muscle mass (same with lung-contents, i breath almost double what is normal or even 'possible' for my size)

Caesaran
Raven
Raven

01 Apr 2012, 8:59 pm

Is there a relation between. Aspergers and height development because I'm 6'2,still growing.

Can anyone look i into this.

muslimmetalhead
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2012, 6:24 pm

izzeme wrote:
i dont really have much muscle tone either, but i am quite tall (about 6'6), however, that didn't start untill about my 4th year in high school (16 years of age), i always was in the shortest 10% of the class, then in 2 months over summer, i shot up to be the tallest by far, and stayed that way.

however, if you look at me, i look not strong at all, perhaps not even strong enough to lift my own weight (aka, stand up straight), however, i appear to have above normal control over my muscles, making me stronger then some of my friends that work out daily.

for example, those who work out need to be with 2 people to carry a keg from one place to another, i stack then 2-high on my own.
it seems that i am able to use a much higher portion of my inert strength then most others, making me stronger with less muscle mass (same with lung-contents, i breath almost double what is normal or even 'possible' for my size)

High school senior at 16?

izzeme
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2012, 8:43 am

muslimmetalhead wrote:
izzeme wrote:

High school senior at 16?

dutch system works differently; kindergarden->basic school->high school->3 or 4 year college->university masters.
high school starts at 12 years of age, and lasts untill 16, 17 or 18, depending on the level