Do you often worry that you're annoying someone?

Page 1 of 3 [ 48 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

BlueElephantKing
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Dec 2012, 8:49 pm

I sometimes do, there's this kid I work with at this volunteer job at my local hospital that I worry that I bother. We get along fine and can get into some decent conversations, but he's usually very tired from his after school activities and sometimes has a slight "moody" tone to his voice when he says something to me. I like him and all, but I worry that my presence is bothersome to him. Does anyone have the same thoughts?

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2012, 10:44 pm

I annoy people fairly often, but I don't care.

deltafunction
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2012, 10:53 pm

Yeah, I kinda worry about annoying people for a couple of seconds then let it pass. If you are really worried about it and care about this person, then maybe just excuse yourself when you think you might be annoying him. I usually say something like "Sorry, I am going on too much about this." Then ask the person a question or let them speak. In my experience, people will appreciate it.

If, however, you think he is annoyed by just your presence and not some social blunder, then he might not be the best friend to make. Find some friends who want to be around you.

Also, sometimes people can be in a bad mood. You could try to cheer him up by talking about light topics or joking around. And sometimes people just need their space.

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2012, 11:07 pm

deltafunction wrote:
Also, sometimes people can be in a bad mood.

You sure got that right. Usually when someone is in a bad mood, I just ignore the mood figuring that the next time we meet, they'll be much more aggreeable.

However, there is one local farmer around here who always appears to be in a bad mood and can be really obnoxious. I've completely given up on him ever being civil about anything.

If I walk into the local Dairy Queen where he sometimes hangs out to drink coffee in the afternoons and he is there, I just ignore him and anything he says. He can say anything he wants and I won't even acknowledge him or what he said.

That really annoys him.

I never have figured out why he is always in a bad mood. He has a nice wife and she is very well off making life quite comfortable for the two of them.

BlueElephantKing
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Dec 2012, 9:36 pm

eric76 wrote:
deltafunction wrote:
Also, sometimes people can be in a bad mood.

You sure got that right. Usually when someone is in a bad mood, I just ignore the mood figuring that the next time we meet, they'll be much more aggreeable.

However, there is one local farmer around here who always appears to be in a bad mood and can be really obnoxious. I've completely given up on him ever being civil about anything.

If I walk into the local Dairy Queen where he sometimes hangs out to drink coffee in the afternoons and he is there, I just ignore him and anything he says. He can say anything he wants and I won't even acknowledge him or what he said.

That really annoys him.

I never have figured out why he is always in a bad mood. He has a nice wife and she is very well off making life quite comfortable for the two of them.

I guess you're right, he could had just been in a bad mood. I mean, he did seem pretty tired after all, at one point I said to him

Me - Man, this weekend has been busy for me, I gotta go home and take a nap *slight chuckle"

Other Kid - *sighs* well you weren't out partying and didn't have a basketball game to play....

Me - Well yeah....

He may not have been trying to be rude, but it sorta came off that way.

UnLoser
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2012, 10:52 pm

Hell yes! My social navigator settings are heavily skewed towards extreme caution, especially around people who I don't know well. I don't talk about my interests unless I know someone who shares that interest, and even then my discussion of it is situational, and restrained. I don't seem to derive pleasure from talking to someone if they're annoyed at what I'm saying. I used to, but now I can only enjoy it if it's a shared interest.

It's not a healthy attitude... but I''ve been conditioned that way.

sandloach7
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

Location: In the world of unanswered questions, where bees sneeze and dogs make smogs

11 Dec 2012, 10:30 pm

Screw it? I completely refuse to communicate, in any way, with someone who does not show agreement.

If they wont let me talk about positive things, then they don't deserve my peachy listening skills, or what's left of them, to hear about their negative things.

Araki
Butterfly
Butterfly

13 Dec 2012, 4:07 am

I think I'm very annoying to people sometimes

LookingLost
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2012, 1:55 am

Yes, very much so.

shelbylyn96
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

18 Dec 2012, 5:18 pm

Yeah sometimes I feel that way, but it might just be being paranoid. At least what everyone else tells me.

Staralfur
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

18 Dec 2012, 5:23 pm

No, but I get annoyed when people start coughing on me. Don't come to school sick. :x

Gazelle
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2012, 5:49 pm

Yes sometimes I worry that I may enter into a converstation wrong or have off timing with the conversation. Sometimes I worry if I am honest I will offend. Also I worry about things like did I say the wrong thing the other day and now this person is mad or irritated with me. I always worry too much anyway and then someone may be joking around and I take it wrong.

Like today I said I had never heard of a store someone mentioned and the person said "you have been asleep" just because I have not been to that store and I live 45 minutes away from the particular store. I went and looked the store up online and it looks pretty good.

Bathory
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

19 Dec 2012, 11:32 am

I am pretty sure I annoy most people I talk to.

Briana_Lopez
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 Dec 2012, 11:52 pm

I feel like that at work all the time! I usually get excluded from conversations because nerdy band kid who tries to fit in, even though most of my coworkers just talk about weed or sneaking out of their houses most of the time.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2012, 11:56 pm

BlueElephantKing wrote:
Do you often worry that you're annoying someone?

"Worry"? Never.

I know that I can be annoying, and I've long ago given up trying not to be annoying ... right about the same time I stopped apologizing for it, too.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

TheValk
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2012, 11:58 pm

I think I should worry about being more considerate, comprehensible than I do right now (which is barely at all).