Page 4 of 7 [ 103 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Do you think that some people actually deserve to be bullied?
Yes 9%  9%  [ 32 ]
Yes 9%  9%  [ 32 ]
Maybe 4%  4%  [ 15 ]
Maybe 4%  4%  [ 15 ]
No 25%  25%  [ 87 ]
No 25%  25%  [ 87 ]
Judging from your examples, yes. 4%  4%  [ 15 ]
Judging from your examples, yes. 4%  4%  [ 15 ]
You're being unfair to the people in your examples 7%  7%  [ 23 ]
You're being unfair to the people in your examples 7%  7%  [ 23 ]
Total votes : 344

Yupa
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2005, 2:08 pm

ljbouchard wrote:
Man, you should go into psychology. They really need someone like you.

I know that was intended as sarcasm, but:
Actually, they do.
Do you think I actually believe the cr-p I spouted off for almost this entire topic?
I don't. It's just part of an experiment to see how people will react to a defense of something that, by the standards of their society, is absolutely wrong, and to see how many defenses I could come up with before every creative argument expired. The results came out just as expected, with a few exceptions.
However, it should be noted that this experiment did not meet the APA's ethical standards.
Nevertheless, I find these sorts of things far more effective when the people inolved don't know that they are being used as guinea pigs.

GalileoAce
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2005, 10:40 pm

Yupa wrote:
ljbouchard wrote:

Actually, they do.
Do you think I actually believe the cr-p I spouted off for almost this entire topic?
I don't. It's just part of an experiment to see how people will react to a defense of something that, by the standards of their society, is absolutely wrong, and to see how many defenses I could come up with before every creative argument expired. The results came out just as expected, with a few exceptions.
However, it should be noted that this experiment did not meet the APA's ethical standards.
Nevertheless, I find these sorts of things far more effective when the people inolved don't know that they are being used as guinea pigs.

I've done similar things, but not to this scale... That is if you are to be believed, you did cry wolf. Though..What were the exceptions?

Who is APA? American Psychological Association?

I know there are several people who enjoy defending an argument whether they believe it or not, so I've often thought of doing a Debate... Cos that'd be fun...

But still... Bullying is wrong, no matter the provocation. :: nods ::

eyeenteepee
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

22 Dec 2005, 4:31 am

Yupa wrote:
ljbouchard wrote:

Actually, they do.

I knew nobody could be quite so dumb, I should have seen that one coming! :)

/me slaps forehead theatrically...

Laura
Toucan
Toucan

23 Jan 2006, 1:39 am

some times i feel im the bully i get angery and break i swear i punch i talk about the music i like which is awsome as i wisper song lyrics in class to make sure i dont do some thing stupid i regret but yet again im a good person how ever he proberally should get theropy on the drug thing and proberally has a problem like he dosent know who his father is or some thing is missing in his life that means something but im a good person and cares for the little man and makes sure that if that little man is getting beaten up i look out for him buy just looking at the person almost spying and later in about a month if he keeps doing it i have my shot of out insulting him if that dosent work i get pissed of and punch him.

Florescent
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

26 Mar 2006, 10:20 am

Now one deserves to be bullied. They act like that for a pschological reason. I like to flaunt my body around but that is because of pstd and my damn harmones so something. I am loved only 1 for a day everyother day by my mom and that makes me do that too. As soon as I get calm I could hug stranger and wink at them. That is probably attachment disorder.

hadapurpura
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2006, 11:14 pm

I think nobody deserves to be bullied. Bullying is so disgusting, even the worst person in the world doesn't desrve it (according to me). There are other ways to correct and educate a person.

Enigmatic_Oddity
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2006, 4:21 am

People shouldn't be so quick to judge others. I once met this guy who was extremely homophobic, and thought that all gay people were disgusting and morally corrupt. (This guy was in the same all-male contemporary dance group I was in) I didn't know why he felt that way and so I asked him about his views one day on the way home. He didn't give any real reason, it was just hatred born out of ignorance.

However, this person was also willing to become friends with me. I didn't share his views and he knew that. I also loathed his views, but I didn't hold them against him. But he was the only person in the entire group who was willing to talk to me during the 3 years I was part of that group; the others snubbed me, thought I was an idiot and though they never 'bullied' me, they did exclude me from everything and made sure that I felt thoroughly rejected.

Roybertito
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

31 May 2006, 4:02 am

You know, this question was actually a very provocotive one. I was going to answer no, but then, I thought for a bit.

There is one group of people that deserves to be bullied. Who is that, exactly?

The bullies themselves.

Enigmatic_Oddity
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2006, 5:24 am

Bullies should be punished, not bullied.

Roybertito
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

01 Jun 2006, 4:47 am

^Actually, if bullies were bullied, who would do the bullying? Technically impossible for bullies to be bullied, as they are the bullies themselves.

Barracuda
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2006, 10:14 pm

Roybertito wrote:
^Actually, if bullies were bullied, who would do the bullying? Technically impossible for bullies to be bullied, as they are the bullies themselves.

Many bullies were bullied themselves. That's why they do it. Bullies bully because they are insecure, or have low self-esteem. They are also usually in the 'middle' section of the class ladder: Those that need to prove they are cool. (Above them are the naturally cool, who do not need to prove themselves. Below are the one who are picked on: the ones who don't try to be cool, or the ones who can't.) (The last part of that paragraph was taken from a Paul Grahm essay)
Yupa, If you last post was serious, you should be thankful. I was about to make a very, very angry post about you...

This thread has the worst case of double postitus syndrome I have ever seen...

hyper_alien
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2006, 4:32 pm

I want to say this. But I am worried people will take the p**s.

Here goes.

I have spent th majority of my life being bullied by someone. If it was not my Mum it was someone at school or college.

Bullying is never ever right. A friend just told me something: two wrongs never make a right. I know it can be hard but I have found the best thing to do is to ignore, run away and hide.

I know it is hard but they do not deserve that treatment - no one does, believe me no one does.

Iammeandnooneelse
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 Jun 2006, 4:03 pm

In the ideal Utopian world, maybe soemwhere far off in the future, bullies won't exist.

However, here and now, bullying is a form of punishment and the genuine bullies should be bullied so they know how it feels, IMHO.

No, I'm not insane.

Why do people act up at school?

Simple.

Misbehaving as judged by peers - worst consequence = getting beaten up severley.

Misbehaving as judged by teachers - worst consequence = being excluded

You think it's that hard to choose? In a perfect world, there'd always be a 'right' solution but here and now in the imperfect un-utopian world we live in, sometimes it's necessary to choose the lesser of two evils.

Hit, kicked, spat at, name- calling, missiles thrown.

[ s c a r a s m ] :roll: You're right, that isn't a punishment :roll: [ / s c a r a s m ]

Iammeandnooneelse
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 Jun 2006, 4:07 pm

In the ideal Utopian world, maybe soemwhere far off in the future, bullies won't exist.

However, here and now, bullying is a form of punishment and the genuine bullies should be bullied so they know how it feels, IMHO.

No, I'm not insane.

Why do people act up at school?

Simple.

Misbehaving as judged by peers - worst consequence = getting beaten up severley.

Misbehaving as judged by teachers - worst consequence = being excluded

You think it's that hard to choose? In a perfect world, there'd always be a 'right' solution but here and now in the imperfect un-utopian world we live in, sometimes it's necessary to choose the lesser of two evils.

Hit, kicked, spat at, name- calling, missiles thrown.

[ s c a r a s m ] :roll: You're right, that isn't a punishment :roll: [ / s c a r a s m ]

Iammeandnooneelse
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 Jun 2006, 4:11 pm

to be deleted -

Last edited by Iammeandnooneelse on 29 Jun 2006, 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Iammeandnooneelse
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 Jun 2006, 4:13 pm

Sorry for mutiple posts.