Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Giftorcurse
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2014, 8:41 pm

I am writing this now because I am at my wit's end and seemingly out of options. I am twenty year old college student with an autism spectrum disorder and a history of depression. I have attempted suicide twice, and almost succeeded the last time, during my senior year of high school. While I was in the emergency room, my parents had me sign a document granting them power of attorney, and a lawyer was present. The thing was, I was incapacitated at the time, and couldn't make out what I was signing. But wait, the plot thickens. You see, for as long as I can remember, I have been extremely verbally and psychologically abused by my parents. My mother is possibly mentally unstable and drinks a lot. It doesn't help that she recently lost her job, which paid pretty well. My father is, for all intents and purposes, a sociopath, and he once stuck an empty gun in my face, pulling the trigger. My grandmother is senile, and insists that my parents love me; "They've just got problems," she says. I beg to differ. For the past twenty years, I have suffered. Now, as I've said before, my parents have power of attorney over me, and they are the payees on my Social Security Disability account. I barely get to see the money, or where it goes, outside of paying tuition. Whenever they buy something, like a movie or video game, I have to pay them back.

It's confusing, and it's getting to me. Like I said, I'm at my wit's end.

cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2014, 8:46 pm

all you have to do to get rid of payees is get a doctor to sign a form from social security that says you can handle your own money. if that doesn't work, you can choose a different payee. several community mental health agencies around here offer payee services.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2014, 4:35 am

I'm no lawyer but isn't there some law somewhere that says a contract is void if you weren't lucid when you signed it?

chris5000
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2014, 3:57 pm

RetroGamer87 wrote:
I'm no lawyer but isn't there some law somewhere that says a contract is void if you weren't lucid when you signed it?
the problem is guardianships are for people who are not lucid

you should try email local disability law firms and tell them your situation they will most likely help you you can probably get reevaluated if you need a guardianship and or get a different guardian

grunt200
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

15 Jul 2014, 7:48 am

From what you have said, it sounds Like it would be void and unenforceable. but you should still go to the community/low income legal help center.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2014, 9:33 am

Were you under 18 when you signed it?

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2014, 10:25 pm

cathylynn wrote:
all you have to do to get rid of payees is get a doctor to sign a form from social security that says you can handle your own money. if that doesn't work, you can choose a different payee. several community mental health agencies around here offer payee services.

^ this, and also its actually illegal for them to use your money for anything other than you and your needs...if they are making you pay you back for things they buy you with it then they are failing to do that....so you might also be able to report them for that if you where so inclined, but I assume that could create more drama if you live with them....though if you got control of your money you could look into low income housing and consider moving out. Your parents sound pretty abusive and even a bit sadistic.

vickygleitz
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2014, 11:46 pm

GiftorCurse! Hi. I am so sorry about what you are going through, and I have no advice. It is nice to see you back here. I missed you.

grunt200

16 Jul 2014, 4:02 am

do they have a guardianship? If they do, they have to spend all the money that the government gives them on helping you. if they dont, they are not fulfilling they legal duteis. if its only power of attorney then I think it would be similar legally speaking.