Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Sarahsmith
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2017, 7:12 pm

The toilet clogged today. I asked my neighbor to try and unclog it. He made it overflow and s**t water went all over the floor. I had to clean it up. Now it's clogged and full right up to the rim with s**t water. Very very clogged. We tried plunging it didn't work. Do I call the landlord and tell them about it so they call plumber?

My first reaction was to call parents to fix it. But it would be more mature to call the landlord wouldn't it.

the_phoenix
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2017, 7:27 pm

My sink was clogged a few days ago.
I called the landlady.
My mom lives too far away in another state. :wink:

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2017, 7:35 pm

Call the landlord, or the superintendent of your building (if you live in an apartment building).

It's unsanitary to have a clogged toilet. They have to fix it---because, especially in an apartment building, this can cause all the toilets to clog up in your sewerage line.

Sarahsmith
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2017, 7:46 pm

Oh no. I hope they fix the damn thing. The toilets clog a lot here. Old plumbing I guess. It makes me feel bad about myself because I use a lot of toilet paper and makes me think I clogged it but it was like that when I got there. Please tell me toilets clogging is not my fault and a normal thing. I'm going to cut back on toilet paper just in case. Lol

Lace-Bane
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2017, 10:21 pm

perhaps flush before even using tissue in the future if you're worried you use a bit much. that way, unclogging the clogged toilet is just a risk of toilet water and the tissue paper brimming over. that, and if you have to ask for help, it's "slightly" less embarrassing.

as far as unclogging the toilet, if you wish to do it yourself, make sure it's the right kind of plunger(usually has a large black rubber mushroom or black plastic accordion shaped bell. the small rubber pink cup like ones that have somehow made their mark as toilet plungers through media like cartoons seen during childhood development are for unclogging sinks[were probably just easier to draw]), and you don't need to flush to see if it's unclogged, so don't try flushing to see if it is(that just causes it to overflow. if it's unclogged, the water will go down on it's own). plunge the drain, and then pull the plunger all the way out of the water to release the suction within the bell(as until then, it won't completely release the suction of the cup making consecutive plunges rather ineffective)... then, keep doing that over and over until the water rushes down the drain.

overflowing toilets... are like... nightmare fuel.

amykitten
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

30 Mar 2017, 5:35 am

great invention

Buy one on amazon. They sell everything. Or I put a ton of chemicals down over night and it seems to fix itself.

FeardyBase
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

30 Mar 2017, 7:21 pm

Lace-Bane wrote:
as far as unclogging the toilet, if you wish to do it yourself, make sure it's the right kind of plunger(usually has a large black rubber mushroom or black plastic accordion shaped bell. the small rubber pink cup like ones that have somehow made their mark as toilet plungers through media like cartoons seen during childhood development are for unclogging sinks[were probably just easier to draw]), and you don't need to flush to see if it's unclogged, so don't try flushing to see if it is(that just causes it to overflow. if it's unclogged, the water will go down on it's own). plunge the drain, and then pull the plunger all the way out of the water to release the suction within the bell(as until then, it won't completely release the suction of the cup making consecutive plunges rather ineffective)... then, keep doing that over and over until the water rushes down the drain.

The above is the "accepted method", only no mention was made of the latex gloves, hazmat suit, splashes etc.

As an ex school handyman / janitor blocked toilets were routine, here's the "improved" method:
Attend the offending toilet with 1 mop and bucket, and two dustbin liners (trash bags)
Wrap the mop head with the first bag, holding it in place about halfway up the mop handle
(you may need to twist it a little to keep it in place and get a good grip)
Use the wrapped mop as a plunger, you can get lots of force, and you're standing well clear of sloshing or spills
(this is more effective than any plunger I've ever tried, and I tried plenty)
Flush
Dispose of the wet stinky trash bag inside the second one.. it can be got off without ever touching nasty bits
Now use the mop and bucket for their designed purpose, to deal with any mess on the floor.

Job's a good-un.

Sarahsmith
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2017, 8:39 am

I got the landlord to fix it. I would like to do that every time its clogged!

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2017, 9:19 am

Just make sure you only put toilet paper in the toilet (aside from the "usual), not things like paper towels.

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2017, 6:52 pm

Turn off the water behind it, clean out what's in it, snake it, then for good measure use some Drano. Clean it well and turn the water back on. Throw all toilet paper into the garbage can by the toilet except for maybe two pieces when you use it.

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com