My family's house burnt down.

Page 2 of 2 [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2019, 9:07 am

I have queried the local (Detroit, Flint, and Lansing) news sources for more up-to-date information on this story.

I will post any as soon as it comes in.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2019, 12:56 pm

I am sorry to hear about your house burning down. Hot coals can retain their heat for a couple days. If they come in contact with something combustable, they can start it on fire.

Ichinin
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2019, 9:21 am

coalminer wrote:
We aren't completely sure. But my mom says <You really shouldn't be saying this on an open forum, people do search the internet>.

My parents are afraid that we'd be accused of starting the fire intentionally if the insurance people knew that, though, so they told them we have no idea. The house is burned too badly for investigators to figure out how it happened.

Heat in <stuff> can linger, but it decrease over time. Maybe it could set it off if it was close to something combustible.

On the other hand it could have been something more trivial like an electrical spike or one of those freak creeping lightning bolts in front of bad weather that triggered it and made a spark.

If i were you i'd delete that from the post, that can be the exact thing an insurance investigator needs to deny you your claim.

coalminer
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

16 Feb 2019, 1:26 pm

Fnord wrote:
@coalminer: Keep us posted on any new developments, okay?

My family and I are now living in a double-wide. It's not permanent, though; my parents are having a house built, which should be ready sometime in the fall. We won't have internet until Tuesday, so at the moment I have to go to the hotel we just stayed at to do homework. I have my own room and a proper bed again; neither are as good as what I had before the fire, but I still like them. Especially after two weeks of sleeping on air mattresses and pull-outs in peoples' living rooms. Since we're in a trailer park, I have to actually pick up my dog's feces now, which I don't look forward to. But my parents got me some equipment for it, so it shouldn't be too bad. They've been going on shopping trips to get stuff we need; things should be somewhat back to normal by the end of next week.

serpentari
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2019, 1:56 pm

good to know u are recovering. thanx for the news)

coalminer
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

01 Apr 2020, 11:43 pm

My parents and I have moved into our new permanent house. It's in a fairly secluded place; there's lots of open space, it's near a big lake, and there's only about 6 or 7 other houses around. I like it, but it comes with the downside of having to use mobile hotspots for our computers to use the internet. My phone ran out of fast data for this period, so I have to use my dad's phone until the 9th. I miss having a router.

My new room is pretty good. My bed takes up a lot of space, and it's still not quite as good as my bed in the old house, but I still like it. My new desk is pretty good, too. I have a TV that hangs on the wall in front of my bed just like the one in the old house. The angle isn't quite right, though; when I lay down and play videogames, I find myself shifting around a lot, whereas in the old house I was always comfortable in the same position. But I like this setup more than the one in the trailer, where I had to sit up in a chair.

My dog seems to like this place a lot better; he didn't like the noise in the trailer park. We let him out on the porch, just like the old house. I might not be free from picking up feces, though. My dad eventually wants to build a concrete path to the basement door through the place where my dog poops. I guess I'll have to see what happens.

Sometimes I remember that I'll never be able to return to the house I spent the first 18 years of my life in, and it makes me sad. But I'm still very thankful that nobody was hurt in the fire, and that we were able to recover. Apparently, someone bought the property the old house was on, and they're gonna build on it. I hope I get to see that house someday.

I don't know if anyone cares that I haven't been around here lately, but just in case, I'll elaborate on that. I just never have the urge to come here anymore. I'm not entirely sure why; I guess maybe the novelty wore off. Reddit has been filling the role Wrongplanet once filled for me. I've also been getting into Discord, where my girlfriend and I talk. :) I made this comment only because this thread felt like a loose end that needed taking care of. Aside from reading any replies to this, I don't know if I'll ever come back again.

But in any case, thank you for reading this.

envirozentinel
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

02 Apr 2020, 12:10 am

^Thanks for the update. I seem to have missed the original part of this thread. I'm very glad things have worked out OK and it seems a nice neighbourhood. Glad to see you still visit us here on WP now and then but glad you have plenty to keep occupied with.

What kind of dog do you have? It's not really so bad having to clean up behind them - a small price to pay for their loyalty and friendship which often surpasses that of humans. Best way is a specially designed scoop - attach a packet to the bottom part for it to go in.

my blog:
https://sentinel63.wordpress.com/

coalminer
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

02 Apr 2020, 12:24 am

envirozentinel wrote:
^Thanks for the update. I seem to have missed the original part of this thread. I'm very glad things have worked out OK and it seems a nice neighbourhood. Glad to see you still visit us here on WP now and then but glad you have plenty to keep occupied with.

What kind of dog do you have? It's not really so bad having to clean up behind them - a small price to pay for their loyalty and friendship which often surpasses that of humans. Best way is a specially designed scoop - attach a packet to the bottom part for it to go in.

Rat Terrier/Corgi mix. He's about 9 years old.

envirozentinel
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

02 Apr 2020, 1:18 am

Sounds like a handsome fellow.

my blog:

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2020, 4:13 am

This is my worst nightmare. Why do fires carry on blazing and destroying when there are several firefighters using special chemicals that's supposed to put the fire out?

I'm sorry this happened to you, and I'm glad you all got out alive and are safe and well.

coalminer
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

02 Apr 2020, 5:30 pm

Joe90 wrote:
This is my worst nightmare. Why do fires carry on blazing and destroying when there are several firefighters using special chemicals that's supposed to put the fire out?

I'm sorry this happened to you, and I'm glad you all got out alive and are safe and well.

The fire happened during the winter. The firefighters had trouble putting it out because the water from the fire hydrant was frozen. If it had happened during the summer, the house would probably still be there.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2020, 8:19 am

I still have found no news stories that cover this event.  Links, please?

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

envirozentinel
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

03 Apr 2020, 8:26 am

This happened over a year ago - I don't think you need any now. The family had rebuilt their home and their lives.

my blog:

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2020, 6:40 pm

Sweet Pea hugs