Met my former bully at Target today

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

salad
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2021, 9:36 am

I was shopping at Target until someone called my name loudly across the aisle and when I looked to see who it was it was my former bully!! When I say former bully let me add context. This guy was a Syrian kid who went to school with me my entire life. And I mean my entire life. He was a star football athlete, basketball player, impressive with the women and the most popular kid in my grade. We are in the same class since Preschool. He knew I had Aspergers, plus I was different than most people, so from preschool up until leaving high school he used to always bully me, call me names, we got into so many fist fights both him and I have actually been hospitalized before ! !! (so even though I would brag that im stronger than him owing to my martial arts training the truth is we were actually even in strength. He was taller than me but I was more trained than him so when we fought it went either way). The fights were brutal, the gossip prolific, rumors he spread about me nasty, and his need to malignantly harass me a compulsion. He made school for me a hell.

Just today he saw me at Target while shopping and called my name. When I saw him I clenched my fists as if preparing for another fight, but then when he smiled and said "how are you doing" it disarmed and I eased up. He talked with me and shook my hands and was friendly to me, which felt weird. He asked me to even attend and hang out at his party for Eid today and I was so taken aback I was speechless

I dont know what to do. It feels weird that someone who was this mean to me in school all of a sudden would now be friendly and nice to me and even invite me to his Eid party.

Do I accept the offer or is it a ruse? Do I accept his new demeanor as him turning over a new leaf or hold a grudge against him for how he used to be?

Master Oogway

Last edited by salad on 14 May 2021, 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

AprilR
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2021, 9:39 am

I have no idea. I experienced a similar thing also. It seems unlikely that he still wants to bully you after years. I think if you don't want to, just make an excuse to not go. You don't have to forgive him or act like nothing happened just because he is acting like that.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2021, 9:45 am

Eid Mubarak, salad.

How long ago was the bullying? It sounds like perhaps he's grown up and moved away from that bully mindset, and wants to let bygones be bygones. I would hope / expect that he's sincere and that it was a genuine gesture of goodwill. I try not to think the worst of people especially when it will be a social situation on an important holy day.

What did your gut tell you? Instincts?

I hope you can stay in touch whether or not you go to the party.

salad
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2021, 10:09 am

IsabellaLinton wrote:
Eid Mubarak, salad.

How long ago was the bullying? It sounds like perhaps he's grown up and moved away from that bully mindset, and wants to let bygones be bygones. I would hope / expect that he's sincere and that it was a genuine gesture of goodwill. I try not to think the worst of people especially when it will be a social situation on an important holy day.

What did your gut tell you? Instincts?

I hope you can stay in touch whether or not you go to the party.

Thanks Isabella!! I'm enjoying my Eid so far.

He was my bully from preschool all the way until I graduated high school. I graduated high school about 4 years ago (I just turned 23, so my WP age is incorrect)

Personally it is possible he matured and grew up. I just find it weird nonetheless because he was a hateful person to me my whole life and our fist fights were so brutal both of us have been hospitalized from them.

In the end of the day like you said Eid is a holy day and its possible that it was a grounds for him to be nicer and kinder than normal. Overall id hate to resurrect past grievances and rivalry on a holy day especially when he went out of his way to shake my hand and invite me to his party.

Whether I attend that party I dont know yet.

Master Oogway

salad
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2021, 10:13 am

AprilR wrote:
I have no idea. I experienced a similar thing also. It seems unlikely that he still wants to bully you after years. I think if you don't want to, just make an excuse to not go. You don't have to forgive him or act like nothing happened just because he is acting like that.

Personally I try not to be petty and hold on to grudges from school, but its still hard not to feel weird around someone who used to get in brutal fist fights with you that got you hospitalized. Granted I hospitalized him one or two times too but in all the fights we got into he was the aggressor and the initiator of the conflicts.

Master Oogway

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2021, 10:18 am

I would be shocked if even one of the people who used to bully me suddenly showed up and acted in a friendly manner toward me ... especially since most of them are now dead.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2021, 10:18 am

It sounds like he has just matured. I'd say go to his party thing.

AprilR
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2021, 11:17 am

salad wrote:
AprilR wrote:

Personally I try not to be petty and hold on to grudges from school, but its still hard not to feel weird around someone who used to get in brutal fist fights with you that got you hospitalized. Granted I hospitalized him one or two times too but in all the fights we got into he was the aggressor and the initiator of the conflicts.

It's up to you and how you feel about the situation of course. I don't think he has any ill will either he probably really wants to connect with someone from the past. I'd say if you feel like you can be comfortable around him it might be a good idea to go to the Eid meet.

Jayo
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2021, 11:38 am

salad wrote:
I was shopping at Target until someone called my name loudly across the aisle and when I looked to see who it was it was my former bully!! When I say former bully let me add context. This guy was a Syrian kid who went to school with me my entire life. And I mean my entire life. He was a star football athlete, basketball player, impressive with the women and the most popular kid in my grade. We are in the same class since Preschool. He knew I had Aspergers, plus I was different than most people, so from preschool up until leaving high school he used to always bully me, call me names, we got into so many fist fights both him and I have actually been hospitalized before ! ! ! (so even though I would brag that im stronger than him owing to my martial arts training the truth is we were actually even in strength. He was taller than me but I was more trained than him so when we fought it went either way). The fights were brutal, the gossip prolific, rumors he spread about me nasty, and his need to malignantly harass me a compulsion. He made school for me a hell.

Just today he saw me at Target while shopping and called my name. When I saw him I clenched my fists as if preparing for another fight, but then when he smiled and said "how are you doing" it disarmed and I eased up. He talked with me and shook my hands and was friendly to me, which felt weird. He asked me to even attend and hang out at his party for Eid today and I was so taken aback I was speechless

I dont know what to do. It feels weird that someone who was this mean to me in school all of a sudden would now be friendly and nice to me and even invite me to his Eid party.

Do I accept the offer or is it a ruse? Do I accept his new demeanor as him turning over a new leaf or hold a grudge against him for how he used to be?

I'd say avoid it... maybe if he's sociopathic, it can only go one way, and you don't want to be part of that 8O
What I find odd about the pattern described above is, the vast majority of bullies will leave you alone once you physically engage them and do _some_ damage to them - they go for another target that won't retaliate. So (not blaming you) but I found it odd that once you stood up for yourself physically, especially where you prevailed, that he would continue to bully you.
That's why I think he might be a real sociopath...

demeus
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2021, 11:57 am

Honestly, I would not be interested in attending the party of someone that bullied me like that. Even if they did grow up, there would still be a trust issue (then again, I have tons of those).

I would simply state that I have other things to do and cannot attend the party (or if you really cannot lie, then just state that you are not interested) but that we should keep in touch. If they are genuine, they should understand what you said. If not, well no great loss.

CollegeGirlAnon
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 May 2021, 11:58 am

I honestly would not go to his party.

I had some bullies in school (never at this level tho) and tbh I would just not feel comfortable talking to them now.

Mostly it’s not worth it to me.

TriPM Score (Taken 05/22/2021):
103 out of 174 points (99th percentile)

ADHD & ASD diagnosis made in childhood.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2021, 5:30 pm

I'd go to the party just to see how sincere he is.

Jayo
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2021, 6:23 pm

You didn't say that he apologized or expressed contrition for his past repugnant behaviour, so that (to me) is a big red flag. STAY AWAY.
8O

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2021, 6:52 pm

Do you know out of all the kids I was in school with, the only friend I have from school who bothers with me and will call in maybe once every other year to see me is the one who used to bully me in school in certain years. He really bullied me for the first few years in school, and later we bacame friends, and in secondary school he turned on me again and though later we became friwnds again, we dare not tell our parents as they had a dissagreement over it as his Mum would not accept he (And another friend) had set upon me this one time.
But anyway.. After school and we had little contact, and both of us had grown up and matured (Uhmm. Am I mature? :D ), we are friendly again.
I only see him now and then. Not often. Maybe every other year? But no one else I was in school with keeps in touch like he does. I am quite touched.

Alterity
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2021, 8:57 pm

salad wrote:

I don't think these are things you can fully get the answer to with out more information/observation. So for the time being I would take it at face value.

I can conjecture various things about his behavior and whatnot (still can if you have an interest in hearing it) but I think it's probably more important to make it about you rather than him.

So what do you want to do? Do you want to see if there is a way to mend the past and maybe be friendly with each other? If you would like to explore that, then go to the party and find out. Of course I don't recommend you go in defenseless. If you decide to go I would make a plan of how you can exit in a mature and safe manner if there ends up a need for it. If you rather just keep it in the past, that would be fine too. I'd just focus on how you feel about it all first and put a wait and see/or forget about it sticker on anything he may be thinking.