Emu Egg
Emu Egg

27 Jun 2021, 8:56 am

How often do you see your therapist?

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2021, 9:36 am

When I had one it was once every two weeks for about 4 or 5 months.

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2021, 11:04 am

4 to 8 times per year, depending how stressed I am.

It's not structured cognitive behavioral therapy, more like supportive as I go through various life challenges between my own disabilities and my family's.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2021, 11:25 am

Trauma Psychology: About once a month for the past 12 years
Neuropsychiatry: Every 6 - 8 weeks (For Stroke and ADHD)
Occupational Therapy: Every 3 weeks (Last year I did over 100 hours of sessions)
Speech-Language Pathology: 2-3 times a month

On top of these appointment times, I have homework for each therapist.

EEngineer75
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

27 Jun 2021, 11:46 am

IsabellaLinton wrote:

Homework!

I really liked it when a couples therapist said "[I'm not here to help you talk through & solve your problems. My goal is to help you learn skills to better communicate and negotiate so you can solve your own problems when you leave counseling.]" To that end, she gave "homework" to either watch a Bene Brown special, read an article or two, or practice the Hendrix/Imago Sharer-Listener method.

I got way more out of conversing w/ my wife about the "homework" than I did directly in the counseling sessions.

Ginger42
Butterfly
Butterfly

28 Jun 2021, 5:21 am

I see mine once a week and its coming up to two years, eventually it'll be once every two weeks and then less etc

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2021, 11:06 am

EEngineer75 wrote:
IsabellaLinton wrote:

Homework!

I really liked it when a couples therapist said "[I'm not here to help you talk through & solve your problems. My goal is to help you learn skills to better communicate and negotiate so you can solve your own problems when you leave counseling.]" To that end, she gave "homework" to either watch a Bene Brown special, read an article or two, or practice the Hendrix/Imago Sharer-Listener method.

I got way more out of conversing w/ my wife about the "homework" than I did directly in the counseling sessions.

Brene Brown rocks! I've done BB homework too! :heart:

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2021, 6:23 pm

Gender therapist, once a week, nine months

Cognitive behavioral therapy, once a week for the first six months. Then once every other week, for one and a half years. Then the counselor told me that I could apply for a third year of counseling, but the insurance rarely pays for it, unless extreme situation

EEngineer75
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

20 Aug 2021, 7:18 am

PS
It started with my therapist (who I see every two weeks): I'd begun to realize how I/we get sidetracked for 15-45min. by the opening (open-ended) question of "How's everything been going with you?"

I finally got the courage to ask her first--and then my brother--to avoid open-ended opening lines like that. Instead, I asked if they could use something like
"So, what's the 1 or 2 biggest thing(s) going on with you today?"
"What's new with [important-to-me-thing] ____X____?"
"What's on your mind today?"
"What's keeping you busy these last couple days?"

I'm hoping this will prevent me from sidetracking my thoughts & the conversation from the get-go with a (self-compelled) regurgitation of the entire timeline of everything that happened with me since we last talked :roll: --plus backstories :wink: .

And maybe even, if I can hear it enough from a few willing close people,... maybe I can pretend :ninja: that I hear something from the second category even when some acquaintance, other friend--or even close loved one--innocently says the more open-ended kind of opening line.

Earthbound_Alien
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2021, 10:06 am

Never, they are full of s**t.

Its all self esteem because they think that anyone different must hate themselves and feel less than others in a society that does not accept difference because it thinks its pefect.

Full of s**t if you ask me.

I am ok with being autistic...I don't care what the stuck up NT's think

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

20 Aug 2021, 10:18 am

Once a week, for three years.

I was never in therapy "for autism". I was mostly treating C-PTSD and learning to manage my emotions in healthier ways than sucking everything in.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2021, 5:58 pm

Earthbound_Alien wrote:

Its all self esteem because they think that anyone different must hate themselves and feel less than others in a society that does not accept difference because it thinks its pefect.

Don't knock it till you e tried it. If you have never been you can't really know what they're really like or what the therapy process is like.

Flown
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2021, 6:55 am

billyho20 wrote:
How often do you see your therapist?

It took me years, but I finally found a therapist that "clicked" with me. Having the option to have therapy from home via video chat changed things COMPLETELY!

I've been her patient for around a year and a half now. During times of crisis, we (virtually) meet once a week. When I'm stable, we meet once every other week. Unfortunately, I am moving within the month and I have to find a new therapist :'( My current one cannot legally practice in another state without a license there.

Flown
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2021, 6:57 am

hurtloam wrote:
Earthbound_Alien wrote:

Don't knock it till you e tried it. If you have never been you can't really know what they're really like or what the therapy process is like.

It's true. And I think it's important to remember you don't have to "stick it out" with the same therapist if you don't feel like you are getting the proper care. You can always request another therapist or look for another.

EEngineer75
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

04 Oct 2021, 8:41 am

Flown wrote:
It's true. And I think it's important to remember you don't have to "stick it out" with the same therapist if you don't feel like you are getting the proper care. You can always request another therapist or look for another.

Hear, hear: every therapist, doctor, psychiatrist, etc., has specialties, more (or less) experiences, up to date (or not) knowledge, and--almost as important--their own personality. No one's perfect, but I suspect that finding a capable & compatible therapist if you're on the spectrum is pretty important--and not common. (It took me long enough to find a compatible ADHD therapist in my health insurance network. Still looking for one more familiar with the autistic/aspergers social struggles--at least in network.)

You've met one aspie, you've met one aspie?

You've met one therapist for aspies: that's rare enough... but also one capable for & compatible with you? I'm going to keep looking.

Flown
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2021, 2:40 pm

EEngineer75 wrote:
Flown wrote:

Hear, hear: every therapist, doctor, psychiatrist, etc., has specialties, more (or less) experiences, up to date (or not) knowledge, and--almost as important--their own personality. No one's perfect, but I suspect that finding a capable & compatible therapist if you're on the spectrum is pretty important--and not common. (It took me long enough to find a compatible ADHD therapist in my health insurance network. Still looking for one more familiar with the autistic/aspergers social struggles--at least in network.)

You've met one aspie, you've met one aspie?

You've met one therapist for aspies: that's rare enough... but also one capable for & compatible with you? I'm going to keep looking.

It can be tough, I totally agree! I got really lucky with finding my last one. I've had many failed therapists!

I'm really nervous about changing therapists with this move. I worry it is going to take me a really long time to find another that clicks. Good luck to us both!