How do people live with themselves if they fail?

Page 4 of 4 [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2021, 11:25 pm

Okay thanks. I've seen Hard Candy. I can coll the studio but I didn't think they would give me the time of day if I didn't make the movie yet.

I don't make the villains out to be good or anything, they do get their commuppeance at the end and are portrayed as the villains or so I intended. And I don't mean to lump the villains backstory all into one generalization of course.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2021, 11:34 pm

ironpony wrote:
Okay thanks. I've seen Hard Candy. I can coll the studio but I didn't think they would give me the time of day if I didn't make the movie yet.

I don't make the villains out to be good or anything, they do get their commuppeance at the end and are portrayed as the villains or so I intended. And I don't mean to lump the villains backstory all into one generalization of course.

They might not give you the time of day until it's made.. but they also might. You could tell them you have funding to produce it and want to know if they'd consider releasing such a film - see what they say. They might say make it then let's talk. But if they say no way no how we would never ever be interested in such a film, well, that's valuable feedback, too.

You could also tell a little white lie and tell them that you have interest from another distributor but feel that they would be a better fit if they're interested in the project. Interest gets more interest.. then they might want to see what your undisclosed interested party is interested in ;) and who knows, they might even want to sign a deal to pre-buy rights to it just so someone else can't have it.

Show biz is smoke and mirrors and BS! Be the best bullshitter and get your film sold. 8)

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2021, 11:36 pm

That's true, I think what I need is to find a schmoozer to work with who can schmooze. I was also told that Europe and Asian cinema are more open to such controversial movies, but not sure if they would accept one in English as much.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2021, 1:40 am

ironpony wrote:
That's true, I think what I need is to find a schmoozer to work with who can schmooze. I was also told that Europe and Asian cinema are more open to such controversial movies, but not sure if they would accept one in English as much.

Never know - they might accept it Because it's in English! That's a question for your professional schmoozer to answer or find out the answer to. It might be that they accept those types of films culturally but there's almost NEVER an English language one, so if there are people there who speak English only OR who want to improve their English by watching English language films, it might be an easier sell even. I'd be asking some people to find out.

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2021, 1:46 am

That's true, good point. Well another filmmaker got back to me and pointed out that I need to spend more money and that causes me stress, because I am not sure how to keep the budget down.

idntonkw
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

19 Jul 2021, 10:55 pm

ironpony wrote:
Maybe I could but no one wants to buy a movie unless it's already made, so I can't really have a plan to sell it, before it's made, and the best bet is to hope it will sell, since no one wants to buy unless they have already seen if that makes sense?

https://www.filmdaily.tv/funding/film-business-plan

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2021, 11:14 pm

I'm NT and I've failed many times. Depending on the salience of the event there was a period of time where I was lost in self-doubt afterward.

Its important to be able to pick yourself up and repair your confidence. I think if you can imagine being resilient in case things don't work out with your movie then you will be less anxious.

Being able to cope with failure is not just a matter of keeping your head above water but also take it as a learning experience. Many success and famous people experience failure early in their lives and they learn from it.

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2021, 11:19 pm

Oh okay, I just don't know what I will do after for a career, if I fail, and I won't know what I am good at, if I do, which is the frustrating thing.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2021, 11:25 pm

magz wrote:
Stand up. Learn. Try a different approach. Fail. Stand up. Learn. Try a different approach...

Also, failure and success are not binary terms. You usually partially succeed, partially fail. So, with each repetition, you can improve the ratio between the two.

Life is *not* binary?
What utter nonsense! 8O

I am being ironic here, people.
I have a major problem with individuals look through life via binary lenses. :nerdy:

I guess if you fail at one thing (not saying you will), you pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again, or try something you may be better suited to.
The bottom line: If you don't try, you don't know. :wink:

I intend to lose some more weight and strengthen my arm muscles, for the purpose of flapping my arms to fly unassisted. You won't know if you can do it unless you try, right? :mrgreen:

BTW, I find this idea of feeling a failure in life, rather odd.
From my perspective, life has failed us. 8)

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2021, 11:29 pm

ironpony wrote:
Oh okay, I just don't know what I will do after for a career, if I fail, and I won't know what I am good at, if I do, which is the frustrating thing.

Consider relativity.
I think you are in a better position in life, regardless of what happens, than those poor bastards in Afganistan who are left behind when the Taliban take over the joint. 8O

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2021, 11:32 pm

ironpony wrote:

Did you have other plans or did you see producing movies as an iterative process where your career is relying on the success of this move as a spring board for more work?

I think its important to have contingencies.

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2021, 11:38 pm

I was really hoping it would be a springboard for more work, but don't know what to do if it does not since I haven't seemed to like doing anything else otherwise.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2021, 8:26 am

ironpony wrote:
How do people live with themselves if they fail?
Easily; they recover, learn from their mistakes, and try again -- repeatedly, if needed.  Eventually, they succeed.

The only people who truly fail are those who give up and stop trying.  Those people are called "Losers".

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2021, 9:26 am

I will never stop trying to fly unassisted!
One day I will make it so! 8)