Worried about discrimination when buying a house

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

hello111
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

28 Apr 2024, 4:51 pm

My wife and I (both ND) want to buy a house in 2030. By then we are expected to earn above $100,000 annually and will have no debts except for a student loan payment. According to an online calculator and my estimations, we could comfortably afford a new construction house (up to $400k).

I'm worried either the mortgage lender or the builder is going to treat us poorly because we are ND. I hope home buying is not just for the NTs.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2024, 7:33 pm

Good luck on buying a home!

More than ever, the only color folks in the construction and housing industry are worried about is green. Having enough money! (joke)

In a lot of places the economy depends on migrant labor to get stuff built. Especially if it involves hard and dangerous work.

We bought a home when I was nearly forty and paid it off before I was fifty.
If you can put down a 20% deposit you can avoid paying PMI.
We could have bought more but we figured a modest ranch would be better if one became disabled.
It is also proving to be an excellent retirement home, something we also planned on.

My parents built a custom home. The big issue is the inevitable construction delays.

Paying off the mortgage so early means that I put a lot of money away towards retirement. :D

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2024, 6:42 pm

hello111 wrote:
My wife and I (both ND) want to buy a house in 2030. By then we are expected to earn above $100,000 annually and will have no debts except for a student loan payment. According to an online calculator and my estimations, we could comfortably afford a new construction house (up to $400k).

I'm worried either the mortgage lender or the builder is going to treat us poorly because we are ND. I hope home buying is not just for the NTs.

There is no reason the buyers need to know. You are under no obligation to tell them. Autism is a medical diagnoses thus in most places and circumstances it is considered private information.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2024, 6:42 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
hello111 wrote:

There is no reason the buyers need to know. You are under no obligation to tell them. Autism is a medical diagnoses thus in most places and circumstances it is considered private information.

Hello111 does not have a moral obligation to disclose Hello111 or Hello111's spouse's diagnoses to the mortgage lender or the builder.

however, the mortgage lender or the builder, might notice something "off" about Hello111 or Hello111's spouse, and then treat them poorly for that reason. While I have never been a builder or mortgage lender and I know nothing about purchasing a house, mortgage lenders and builders are humans, and humans often treat other humans worse for a wide variety of reasons.

just last week, a security guard (!) @ safeway had the nerve to approach me (@ the front door), imitating the way i walked and told me "you got a pimp walk". but i wasn't doing it on purpose. that's the natural way i walk, and it is a function of autism. the security guard wasn't doing his job. he was just bothering me. he could've just ignored me.

if hello111 wants, hello111 could bring along a neurotypical acquaintence, to interact with the mortgage lender. (that could be a good or bad idea, but just an alternative).

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2024, 5:54 am

We just gave the agent who was representing us copies of some financial documents he han no trouble finding a lender on our behalf. It was like Oh, Wow, plenty of money. You know you can buy a bigger house. Just saying. Later on he said that if we wanted, we could park a boat in the driveway. No nasty HOA or laws prohibiting that. The buyer is expected to do their own due diligence if they are worried about covenants or deed restrictions limiting what you can do with your new property.

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2024, 5:58 am

I've never had a single problem with discrimination while looking for mortgages, buying or viewings.

ProfessorJohn
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2024, 10:43 pm

I have bought 2 houses with no problems. Avoid any place with a HOA like the plague.