I wish the autism spectrum wasn't so massively broad

Page 2 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2022, 12:46 pm

For some reason, I sense that you will be okay.

Maybe your parents will leave you what they own?

SkinnyElephant
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 Dec 2022, 1:49 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
For some reason, I sense that you will be okay.

Maybe your parents will leave you what they own?

My family's finances are an interesting story. I wasn't going to get into it initially. But since you followed up, here we go.

My family has quite a bit of money. My parents own a few different homes (including the one I live in).

I know it sounds like I'd be set for life financially. But it's not that simple.

Bill Gates and Warren Buffett plan on leaving their children little to nothing. From hearing my parents discuss the will, even though I haven't heard them get into specifics, I've heard enough bits and pieces to get the impression my parents have the same idea as Bill Gates and Warren Buffett. It's quite common for wealthy people to do that.

Then even if they leave me a place in the will, I would still have to pay the HOA fees and property taxes. I've heard many a story where someone inherits a house only to find out they don't make enough money to afford the HOA fees/property taxes.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2022, 2:08 am

I just wish Asperger's was classed as a separate condition from autism, like ADHD is. There are a couple of factors as to why I don't feel autistic, plus more, but these three stand out more:-

1. I naturally make the same facial expressions that match what I'm feeling inside (apart from the resting b***h face, which isn't uncommon in humans). For example yesterday I was at my boyfriend's family gathering and we were going to play a game that I wasn't sure how to play. I felt a little worried because I wasn't sure how to play it. I wasn't focusing on my facial expressions at all, but later when I was discussing how much fun we had to my boyfriend he said that I looked a little worried when we were about to play the game I didn't quite understand. (I got right into the game though and my boyfriend said he could tell I was having fun, which I was).

2. If I'm doing something on my laptop whilst having headphones on with music or whatever I can still see everything that goes on around me. Like I can see someone walk into the room in my periphery. I'm never 100% focused on just one thing in my own little world. I find a lot of NTs aren't like this. My boyfriend has focused on the TV so much that he hasn't seen me walk into the room, and he jumped when I spoke and said "oh I didn't see you come in", even though I would have been able to if I was sitting where he was sitting.

3. I don't mask that much. When I come in from a social event I don't start stimming or getting into a rage or anything. I just carry on like I hadn't been out. All right I do like a nap - but napping is one of my favourite things to do and it's something I do daily even if I haven't been out anywhere or seen anyone. It's not linked to social exhaustion. It's just a habit that I've gotten myself into. So if you met me at a social event, I might be a bit shy but still willing to join in and smile and naturally make eye contact with everyone and enjoy myself, and while you may think "she seems to be coping well now but I bet she'll start flapping her hands and that when she gets home, or she might have a meltdown or not want to talk to anybody for a day or two", it's actually not the case. After getting home from a social event I'll most probably phone one of my friends or relatives to chat about my day, or get on with some chores or whatever, and not feel any negative emotions (well, I may start to worry that I did something stupid and once I get that thought in my head I'll overanalyze it, but that's just my stupid brain overthinking).

And they're just a few things. I definitely have like 9 out of 10 symptoms of ADHD and anxiety, but only like 2 out of 10 symptoms of autism. My ADHD and anxiety still makes me different and I still can be socially awkward, but I feel I don't have to mask that much to fit in. We all mask a little bit, and I do, but not where it causes mental exhaustion. Except when I'm out in public spaces, but that's because of bad experiences I've had with strangers in the past and I feel like they're scrutinizing me and that there are certain rules you have to follow when out in public that you don't need to follow when around people you know. Yesterday when I was with my boyfriend's family at their house everyone seemed much more chilled than they would be if we were walking around town or something. Strangers are scary in my opinion.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2022, 9:30 am

Joe90 wrote:
But Asperger's is still associated with autism. I just wish it were a different condition altogether. If ADHD and FXS share a lot of autism symptoms then why aren't they on the autism spectrum too?
My FSX friend is more socially impaired than me, in terms of dating, having friends and finding a job.

Your FXS friend might well be eligible for an autism diagnosis too. FXS is a specific genetic syndrome that often -- though not always -- manifests as autism among other things.

Last edited by Mona Pereth on 27 Dec 2022, 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2022, 9:38 am

The main reason why the "Asperger's" category was eliminated is that there was already such a thing as "high-functioning autism," and the difference between "Asperger's" and "high-functioning autism" was difficult to diagnose in adults or even in older children. That's because the main difference between "Asperger's" and HFA was that people with HFA had a speech delay, whereas people with "Asperger's" did not.

I myself would have been correctly diagnosed with either HFA or PDD-NOS under the DSM IV system, not "Asperger's," because I didn't start talking until around age 4.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2022, 9:59 am

Joe90 wrote:
And now that functioning labels don't exist any more because of people saying they're low-functioning one day and the next day they're high-functioning,

That's not the only problem with functioning labels.

The above is only one of the problems with functioning labels. The main problems with functioning labels were:

1) They were defined in terms of IQ test scores. But IQ is far from the only factor in a person's ability to function in society.

2) They divided autistic people into just two categories, which essentially amounted to: (a) those who were too "high-functioning" to need/deserve any support and (b) those who were too "low-functioning" to deserve a real and serious education. At least, under the DSM 5, there are three "severity" levels rather than just two, which is still an oversimplification, but at least a recognition that we aren't at just two extremes.

3) Many autistic people are severely disabled in some ways but not in other ways. So any division into levels is somewhat arbitrary.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2022, 6:24 pm

It's my premise that higher functioning autistic people who aren't encumbered by more severe symptoms (some of which may be symptomatic of the autism label and some comorbid) should refrain from trying to make less than flattering opinions about other autistic people whom they deem lower functioning or claim to speak on their behalf.

It's better to focus on your own individual functioning/identity rather than trying to contrast yourself against people who self-evidently suffer more problems.

I know it's unpopular to drag this up but Aspergers associations prior to 2013 openly opposed the amalgamation of Aspergers into the broader ASD category. Parents thought it would not help their children to be lumped into the same category as "rainman" and children with severe functional deficits. Their associations also blocked the membership of families with children diagnosed with autism who wanted their kids to improve their social skills by mixing with Aspie kids but whose parents did not want to encumber their kids with making friends with "lower functioning kids". This is still pretty raw for me.

I am not opposed to parents or individuals who want what's best for their Aspie kids and who want to retain social networks of like-like higher functioning (e.g. high IQ and speaks normally) kids. But I thought its good to remind people that not everyone finds this a pleasant conversation to have.

AquaineBay
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2022, 5:35 pm

cyberdad wrote:
It's my premise that higher functioning autistic people who aren't encumbered by more severe symptoms (some of which may be symptomatic of the autism label and some comorbid) should refrain from trying to make less than flattering opinions about other autistic people whom they deem lower functioning or claim to speak on their behalf.

It's better to focus on your own individual functioning/identity rather than trying to contrast yourself against people who self-evidently suffer more problems.

I know it's unpopular to drag this up but Aspergers associations prior to 2013 openly opposed the amalgamation of Aspergers into the broader ASD category. Parents thought it would not help their children to be lumped into the same category as "rainman" and children with severe functional deficits. Their associations also blocked the membership of families with children diagnosed with autism who wanted their kids to improve their social skills by mixing with Aspie kids but whose parents did not want to encumber their kids with making friends with "lower functioning kids". This is still pretty raw for me.

I am not opposed to parents or individuals who want what's best for their Aspie kids and who want to retain social networks of like-like higher functioning (e.g. high IQ and speaks normally) kids. But I thought its good to remind people that not everyone finds this a pleasant conversation to have.

I agree with this sentiment. God has a funny way of playing with you like that. My mother was a genius and she used to kinda look down on people that were not as smart or quick-witted as she was. Sadly she had a stroke and she is now not as smart and quick-witted as she was before, and now she regrets talking about said people. She actually came out really well, she could still do pretty much everything she could before albeit a bit slower and takes more energy but, God got her with her intelligence though!

I do agree with OP that autism needs to be less broad but, not because I don't want to be lumped with the "lower-functioning" people but, because I want get a better understanding of the diagnosis and stop this issue where just about everybody and their momma and daddy can claim they have autism. The "mid-lower functioning" folks are still my family at the end of the day(figuratively).

"God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
Courage to change the things I can,
and Wisdom to know the difference."

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2022, 8:17 pm

Quote:
I do agree with OP that autism needs to be less broad but, not because I don't want to be lumped with the "lower-functioning" people but, because I want get a better understanding of the diagnosis and stop this issue where just about everybody and their momma and daddy can claim they have autism

Yes, this is my reason too.

An introverted NT could believe they have autism and if anyone doubted them they'd just say "well no two people with autism are the same, it's that broad", like it's the last word.
So the quote "everyone's a little autistic" that irks so many people on the spectrum is actually becoming true.

Ever since my older brother somehow got qualified for a diagnosis of Asperger's, I'm starting to believe that anything's possible.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2022, 8:45 pm

I’m truly autistic. I’m only partially an introvert. I didn’t speak until I was 5 years old. I used to scream nonstop in the night when I was a toddler.