I'm not going out alone again after 2pm

Page 2 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2023, 11:14 am

Joe90 wrote:
Well they thought I was a man...

Today someone did go with me, as I said about the incident. I feel so much less self-conscious when I'm walking with somebody else. I suddenly feel all safe and protected and relaxed.

I am worrying that these druggies might recognise me, especially if I'm in my work uniform, and start picking on me or bullying, like at school. I feel angry, because I'm 33 years old. I don't want history to repeat itself.

Yes but it was you who felt bad.

What Babybird said is right, I bet they don't even remember the incident now, they've moved onto the next person/ incident.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2023, 12:25 pm

KitLily wrote:
I've had that happen quite a few times, it seems that groups of people will just pick on someone who is alone for no logical reason. Usually with me it was random groups of men who'd come up and say 'you're so ugly' and then laugh and jeer and catcall. Always when I was alone, like you were that time. Like predators in a pack.

I hope that doesn't happen to you again, it's very frightening. :heart:

This sounds like my neighborhood back in the mid-to-late 1990's and very early 2000's. There were bunches of kids and young adults who hung out on streetcorners and harassed some passers-by (or at least they harassed me).

Eventually this stopped happening as more and more immigrants (from many different countries around the world) moved into the neighborhood, and as more and more white working-class families moved out.

This is one of the reasons why I say that the best neighborhoods for autistic people are highly multicultural neighborhoods with no one dominant ethnic group.

bee33
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2023, 1:17 pm

I've always lived in cities and I often walked around alone or took the subway late at night. I learned to cultivate a surly scowl and a very purposeful and almost angry-looking way of walking. And I never looked at anyone so they could not make eye contact with me. In short, I tried to seem intimidating and self-assured. I don't know if that's possible for everyone to do. I wasn't always good at it myself.

I don't mean at all for this to sound like victim-blaming. Whatever you did and however you looked to these awful people is not anything you did wrong. I'm just offering it as a possible way to protect yourself if you can do it.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2023, 1:28 pm

I generally avoid eye contact with strangers but that just makes them look at me more. I can see they're staring in my periphery. That's even more aggravating. And I do sometimes have a scowl but I've had strangers telling me to smile, which is annoying and insensitive because they don't know what's going on in my life and there could be serious reasons why I'm not smiling (job loss, death of loved one, health problems, etc). I always look weak and timid no matter what I do. It's why people bombard my personal space with their kids, which isn't what I want.

And then it stands to reason why I don't like going out by myself. I feel too shameful of myself and I feel conspicuous, like I'm there for unstable as*holes to take their s**t out on, and I don't want it to be this way. It isn't fair.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2023, 2:02 pm

I think there comes a time when you have to make a choice for yourself.

You can either fight this thing that seems to be ruling your life or you can stand up to it and start living. It takes a lot of courage to do the latter but it could be worth it in the end.

It's your choice ultimately.

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

15 Jun 2023, 4:11 pm

! Cornflake wrote:
A substantial number of posts have been removed, by request of the OP.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2023, 4:54 pm

Thanks Cornflake.

babybird wrote:
I think there comes a time when you have to make a choice for yourself.

You can either fight this thing that seems to be ruling your life or you can stand up to it and start living. It takes a lot of courage to do the latter but it could be worth it in the end.

It's your choice ultimately.

It's OK, I'm doing my best.
I'm sorry you had bad experiences too in the past. We've got to carry on. It's hard though.

*Hugs*