Do you feel bad about disability?

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

zeldapsychology
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2009, 5:48 pm

I just got approved for a bus service to come to my home and am planning to get a job through a job rehab center place. but at times IMO for me it's depressing not being able to drive,get a job a normal way (I've tryed the application route) I want to be like everyone else at times. My parents try to cheer me up but sometimes that doesn't help. Sure I can't do what others can physically (a bad knee and walking) Psychologically (IMO my AS social issues impair me more than others) Does anyone else at times feel like this? BTW I HATE the term mental/mentally IMO it should be PSYCHOLOGICAL/PSYCHOLOGICALLY! (Sorry to offend anyone) Although with AS I've heard it being mention as a Neuro something issue here on WP (sorry to offend.) :-)

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2009, 6:00 pm

Personally, I *refuse* to view my AS as *any* kind of mental illness. I do not mind too much being told I have some kind of "neurological disorder", but I actully see it as nothing other than a simple "neurological difference" making certain things in life difficult for me.

I am able to drive, but my eyesight is failing and I might not be driving much longer ... and I would gladly enjoy riding next to you on a bus ... and if you get a job you enjoy, you will be doing at least as well as other people who are finding them difficult to get at all.

Be at peace within yourself and the world will treat you as you treat it.

Last edited by leejosepho on 02 Oct 2009, 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KenM
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2009, 6:25 pm

I don't view it as a mental illness. But I do view my AS as a disabliity. Because of my AS I was able to get funding for a driving school to get my CDL. Then I was able to get a good job I love and I am able to support myself. This is different then living off the system for my whole life. You have to do what you have to do to better yourself.

zeldapsychology
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2009, 6:38 pm

Thanks. :-) The job would be to better myself and I enjoy videogames so it'd be nice to go to the game store before my mom got off work. Plus maybe I can get a basic job I like (We called and she said something about an assistant whether this me having one or being one I'm not sure.) Thanks for cheering me up. :-)

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2009, 7:28 pm

KenM wrote:
I don't view it as a mental illness. But I do view my AS as a disabliity. Because of my AS I was able to get funding for a driving school to get my CDL. Then I was able to get a good job I love and I am able to support myself. This is different then living off the system for my whole life. You have to do what you have to do to better yourself.

Agreed ... and I greatly appreciate my own employer's willingness to accomodate my "difference"!

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2009, 7:35 pm

zeldapsychology wrote:
Thanks. :-) The job would be to better myself and I enjoy videogames so it'd be nice to go to the game store before my mom got off work. Plus maybe I can get a basic job I like (We called and she said something about an assistant whether this me having one or being one I'm not sure.) Thanks for cheering me up. :-)

If you get a job as an assistant, or even if you end up having an assistant, go at it easy and do not try to prove yourself as the very best from the very beginning. Simply be attentative and willing, then work at a steady pace you feel confident about being able to maintain as time goes on.

02 Oct 2009, 9:22 pm

Sometimes. I have learning issues so I might never be able to go to college or get any other job that is more complex because of my learning style and difficulties. I am even surprised I was able to hold down my job despite my poor working memory. But at least my husband won't mind supporting me without SSI. It makes me feel bad though because I feel lazy so I finally got approved for the PHC and now I am in class and learning all the work stuff before training.

Shame I can't get rid of my learning difficulties. I would if it were possible to change my brain and get over my LD. But I am trying to work on my memory.

As for AS, no. It's just a list of symtpoms I can get rid of by working at it.

zeldapsychology
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2009, 10:28 pm

Good tips. Hopefully your memory gets better. My main focus in College was my special interest in Psychology and if I put my mind to it I could get a paper done quick (once during the 2 week Christmas break I did one LOL!) that just shows my dedication right there unfourtunently I don't think people see are strengths and only weaknesses. (Because we can excel if it applys to are special interest but it's all about social behavior mostly when IT SHOULD IMO be more about academics. :-( We'll see where the future takes me hopefully back to College sometime before I drive myself insane with being upset the rest of my life which I DON'T WANT! :-)