Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

DeoxysRibonuke
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

19 Feb 2011, 8:24 pm

I am a 19-year-old college student with Aspergers--diagnosed at age 9--yet I consider myself very high-functioning in many regards; I can be completely normal in most situations, have no crippling sensory aversions, and am in general able to function very well in society considering my circumstances. (I am a bit of a late bloomer in regards to getting a job and driving, but that's not the issue here).

My issue is agitation; at around nightfall, nearly every day, I end up getting really agitated from something or another. It's not so much insta-meltdown as it is a slowly-growing irritation or depression that ends up resulting in me getting all angsty-teenager. Normally this isn't a problem, but it's starting to become taxing upon my parents, and I would like to try and work on keeping myself from hurting their feelings when they see me upset.

It normally starts when I'm trying to do something that warrants focus (on my laptop, usually when trying to have a creative discussion with my friends or trying to research something), but extraneous things or stimuli in the 'real world' pull at my attention. Sometimes I can work though it, but I'll end up feeling really crabby afterward. And this is that key point where I start to get angry (or sad), to the point where it almost seems like I'm FINDING things to whine or rant about.

An easy solution to this would be to go upstairs where there aren't any irritating stimuli, but sometimes taking the steps to move upstairs is difficult, especially if my parents take it personally and think I'm leaving because I'm mad at them (which I'm not, but it still provides a social situation that is unnavigable in such a foggy mental state).

Any advice on...this? I just wish there was a way I could increase my processing stamina so I didn't end up flipping out so often. -_-;;

Therefore, if you would like to chat me up, you may contact me at my AIM screenname. Being a student, I canno

countzarroff
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

20 Feb 2011, 4:26 am

I get that too. People on the whole tend to piss me off. I will argue with my emotions out loud at night sometimes. It can keep me from sleeping.