Has anyone else admitted to yourself that you are weird?

Page 1 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

KevinLA
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2011, 12:57 pm

They say an alcoholic can only begin to get better only after admitting they are an alcoholic.

It is the same with admitting that is something very wrong with you think and act.

However, admitting to yourself that you have crazy thoughts and feelings and that you need to change is not easy.

I had to admit to myself that the way I think and act is wrong. I have improved myself, but it is a tough road. The hardest parts is ignoring
the crazy and weird feelings and thoughts you have.

I was wondering if anyone else is in the same boat.

Last edited by KevinLA on 11 Apr 2011, 7:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Mindslave
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2011, 2:11 pm

That's the story of my life. Going back and forth between denial and acceptance.

KevinLA
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2011, 2:19 pm

Mindslave wrote:
That's the story of my life. Going back and forth between denial and acceptance.

Don't accept it any more. Change. I have made great strides. So can you.

Admitting you are not well mentally is tough to do.

By default, people defend who they are no matter what. Ignore the default

Djn
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

11 Apr 2011, 3:47 pm

However, admitting to yourself that you have crazy thoughts and feelings is not easy.

I agree with you. It's not easy. I'm going through a period of re-evaluation of myself. I spent a lot of my adult life, trying to fool myself and others that I was not different. It's hard to admit that I have severe limitations.

Mark 8:36

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2011, 4:13 pm

Weirdness is what I am.

mox
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

11 Apr 2011, 4:20 pm

I accepted that I was weird years ago, and even marketed myself as such, to make it easier to be in social situations. Ex: "Oh mox, you're not that weird. You're just [funny/silly/offbeat/unique/etc].

I'm starting to understand just how right I was.

kepheru
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

11 Apr 2011, 4:51 pm

I once told a friend from high school that I had "accepted my place as 'one of those weird kids' " but I don't think I've actually come to terms with it, as I'm just as woefully insecure now as I was then (about 3 years ago).

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2011, 5:08 pm

Yes I have admitted in the past I am weird but weird is sometimes a good thing right? I don't have to like the same things as everyone else or do the same things they do or think what they think. I want to be an individual and not follow the crowd. I did that a lot as a kid because I wanted to blend in and be liked, not be treated like a bad guy. Then I decided in my teens to just be myself, not go on copying others.

But depending on what you mean by weird, if you meant it as a bad thing as in issues you have, then yes I have done that too and I know that is something to work on. I have told myself everyone has things they need to work on, everyone has their own weaknesses, everyone has their limitations, and you know what, it worked. I feel better now and normal. I would focus on what things I needed to work at to get better and I did. I view AS as a list of symptoms that can be worked on.

jedaustin
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 Apr 2011, 5:44 pm

Yes.. I am weird and proud of it.
Acceptance is the first step in being happy about who you are.
There are skills I'd like to gain such as better communication skills and general knowledge but I'm not going to change who I am.
- If I wanted to be another 'sheeple' I'd be just like everyone else.
- How is it different to discriminate against me for being different than it is for someone that is minority race, gay, or disabled? I absolutely will not tolerate being treated like a second class citizen.
- No one normal is in our history books, in world records, or has risen to the top of anything other than mediocrity.
- No one normal ever changed the world.
- Why would I want to be normal?

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2011, 6:43 pm

I've admitted to myself that I'm weird and wonderful. :)

TenPencePiece
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2011, 7:03 pm

I'm not weird, I'm just different, and I wouldn't have it any other way. I'm not a fan of the word "weird", either.

But when it comes to it, these are just labels, and the only word that would fit someone perfectly is "unique".
I encourage anyone to embrace their uniqueness, no matter how much it deviates from the "norm".

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2011, 7:23 pm

KevinLA wrote:
They say an alcoholic can only begin to get better only after admitting they are an alcoholic.

Progress actually begins through acting on the belief that the necessary is actually possible, but yes, admitting the need must come first ... and that admission can definitely be difficult to make.

KevinLA wrote:
... admitting to yourself that you have crazy thoughts and feelings is not easy.

Yes, it sure is, and I spent a lot of years in great fear of what might happen if I ever actually got "found out" even by my own self.

KevinLA wrote:
The hardest parts is ignoring the crazy and weird feelings and thoughts you have.

Personally, I have learned to "take them captive", so to speak, and to then compare them to what I believe/know to be good and right, and to then turn my *actions* toward those good and right things. In other words, it seems more effective to live our ways into right thinking than to try to think our ways into right living.

Note: Here is all of that in different words if you might happen to have any religious leaning ...

"For the weapons we fight with are not fleshly but [are] mighty in Elohim for overthrowing [evil] strongholds, overthrowing [wrong] reasonings and every high matter that exalts itself against the knowledge of Elohim, taking captive every thought to make it obedient [by doing as we actually should] ..."
(2 Corinthians 10:4-6)

KevinLA
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2011, 7:53 pm

leejosepho wrote:
KevinLA wrote:

Progress actually begins through acting on the belief that the necessary is actually possible, but yes, admitting the need must come first ... and that admission can definitely be difficult to make.

KevinLA wrote:
... admitting to yourself that you have crazy thoughts and feelings is not easy.

Yes, it sure is, and I spent a lot of years in great fear of what might happen if I ever actually got "found out" even by my own self.

KevinLA wrote:
The hardest parts is ignoring the crazy and weird feelings and thoughts you have.

Personally, I have learned to "take them captive", so to speak, and to then compare them to what I believe/know to be good and right, and to then turn my *actions* toward those good and right things. In other words, it seems more effective to live our ways into right thinking than to try to think our ways into right living.

This is great advice. I am going to focus more on changing my actions instead of my thoughts.

A lot of people are missing the point of my original post. I edited it.

Admitting to yourself that you have crazy thoughts and feelings and that you need to change is not easy.

It is one thing to admit you are weird and accepting that it is ok .

It is another thing to realize as well that you need to change.

If you want to get along with others, it is not ok to be weird. Do not expect people to enjoy your presence.

The point of my thread is that weirdness is not acceptable.

Last edited by KevinLA on 11 Apr 2011, 8:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ryan93
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2011, 7:58 pm

Sure, I'm weird. Weird is a good thing by my standards.

Member of the WP Strident Atheists

KevinLA
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2011, 8:01 pm

Please no more,

"I am weird, I accept who I am, there is nothing wrong with it."

Frankly, it is very contentious.

I am looking for solutions. Not a debate whether it is ok to be weird.

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2011, 8:03 pm

The point of my reply is that weirdness is acceptable, and that other people are overrated.

I am strange. I have accepted this. I am comfortable with it. If anyone is not, they are not being forced to interact with me.

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I