What do YOU do on your birthday?

Page 3 of 3 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

sociable_hermit
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2006, 4:47 pm

I think Eeyore would like everything to be calm and straightforward. He doesn't demand much from the world. He is dependable, philosophical, normally quite placid, and sometimes painfully honest. He's also a master of withering deadpan humour and self-depreciation.

There's nothing wrong with being an Eeyore.

JonDevine
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

27 Oct 2006, 12:08 pm

sociable_hermit wrote:
I normally feel sorry for myself because no-one sends me a card or a text message or an e-mail or anything, and then I feel really worthless and wonder why I don't have many friends.

And then, eventually, normally by about tea-time, I realise that it's because I haven't actually bothered to tell anyone that it's my birthday, because I hate making phone calls and I'm particularly bad at saying anything that seems even remotely self-centered, and I haven't organised a party or anything because I don't have time to organise one, plus my flat is a tip because I don't have any motivation to tidy it up.

I also remember all of the times throughout the year when I've forgotten the birthdays of others, through being too tired, too busy, too distracted or too obsessive over something. And I equate how that must have felt for my friends at the time with how I feel right now, and I feel guilty.

So basically, each year I conclude that I'm a very sad man with no-one to blame but myself.

Eeyore is my role model, sometimes.

K, the thing with me is, I tell people, but then they don't really care. They still don't bother with it.

Jon Devine, social correspondant

MrSinister
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2006, 7:00 am

When I was a boy, I used to go down to London to visit the Natural History Museum when it was my birthday, but these days, I just take the day off work and enjoy the peace and quiet.

It was better when my dogs were alive, true, but I'll take solitude and watching DVDs all day over having to participate in sour-faced office politics...

Corvus
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2006, 5:54 pm

I took all my friends out and bought them a moderately OK brunch.. there was about 10 people, some I've known nearing 20 years (I'm only 24)

My one friend bought a keg for everyone.. I miss them back at home