Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

47x
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

30 Jan 2012, 7:25 pm

Hello people. I'm scared to death and beyond about my "future". I'm a 23 yr old still living at home with my parents. At this moment I have no job, but I'm currently working on getting a licence to drive taxi and there're lots of job ads where I live about taxi jobs I feel I'll probably get a job in a couple of months.

Which is good, right?! Yes and no. I'm so scared about moving out, part of me thinks I'm so ready to leave home..hell, I'm 23!! But I get so stressed out at the though. When I was 17 I lived in an apartment for 6 months whilst attending upper secondary school, the first week was good, then it got bad and I isolated myself, had trouble maikng food and just surviving, I ended up quitting my education. I've also lived away from home before, once I even was 6 weeks in England, living with a family I never met before. But all that was temporary and now I feel pressure to live by myself. Like it's final, I love my room, it's my only true solace in this world. Will I be able to make it by myself, I don't know.

Gods, I so wish I was younger. So I didn't have to take on so much responsibility, sometimes I feel younger than I really am. Once when I was about 15 I had a feeling that what I was beginning to grasp (my understanding of people, relationships and other thoughts) was things other people understood at age 13. Sometimes I'm just slower. For example, I never got that I actually had to move out from home one day. It hit me hard in the face when I realized a couple of months ago, that I'm a f*****g adult, I should live on my own, other people would have gotten that idea when that were 19 or so. I', an adult and act like that at times, but more times than not I need somebody to support me. Why can't I get things done myself, I'm so stupid. If this is an aspie thing then at least couldn't I've gotten some intelligence at least.

AnonymousPasserBy
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Jan 2012, 8:30 pm

I don't think it's an aspie thing, maybe that just makes it worse.

A lot of people get nervous/depressed when they are your age and they leave school and suddenly wake up thinking 's**t, I'm an adult'.

The best way to handle it is probably to just do it. Find a job that you're comfortable with and move into a place that you can see as your new home. But definitely stay in touch with the people you're around now so that you don't isolate yourself.

If you still have trouble with what you call 'surviving' try to organize everything you do. Plan everything you do ahead of time and do things like shopping/cleaning/making food on fixed times every week. I'm like that too when my parents aren't home (age 17 right now) but when I just take 5 minutes of time to plan my whole day/week ahead of time I can do it all without having any stress or inconvenience.

I don't know if my post is very useful. Anyway, good luck.

justalouise
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

31 Jan 2012, 1:54 am

Well, where is this 'pressure' coming from that you speak of? Is it social pressure, the idea that you 'shouldn't' be living with your parents at your age? Or is it from your parents?

If it's not the latter, I think it would be good to keep in mind that there are many, many cultures (ones older than the US (where I am)) where living with your parents well into adulthood is the norm, or for multiple generations to live together for entire lifetimes! If your parents are comfortable & happy with the current arrangement, then maybe you don't need to change much of anything. I do think it's probably a good idea to try to contribute as much as you reasonably can to any living arrangement, so getting a job would be good regardless. Anyway, maybe you should have a serious talk with them about how all of you feel about the situation.